Morrissey A-Z: "Lucky Lisp"

An original and lovely song. Some are calling it lightweight, but I don’t hear that, to my ear it’s a heavy little number in some of the musical movements and when he sings .....
‘Jesus made this all for you, love (you, love)’, very moving.

Anyway, first time hearing this single when it was released with ‘Michael’s Bones’ just blew my mind, what artist ever has put out such a strange and powerful three song single like that?!

(crickets)

:cool:

VIVA MOZ !!!

VIVA
BONFIRE !!!

:thumb:

btw I think Lisp needs to be heard
as part of the single and not as a part of Drag to really be appreciated. Also linked in my mind to these songs is the color green, of the sleeve, and of the Playboys video, reference to the green carnation? or is that a bit of a reach?

Last edited:
I seem to remember there was some amusing debate over just what Morrissey was getting at when he said: "When your gift unfurls... I will roar from the stalls" i.e. the stall was a toilet cubicle. In this context "I will gurgle from the circle" is particularly amusing/disturbing! It certainly cast the song in a whole new light for me.
remember it well,that was debated on here years ago.

I can only echo what others already have said. While not my favorite song at the time? I am longing to see him go back to these quality pop songs nowadays. There are the occasional attempts, for example "Knockabout world" or "Spent the day in bed". But the ease with which he and Street churned them out in the late 80s, that was totally mind-blowing.

This song always seemed to me like the more loving and empathetic approach to the same sentiment of "Girl Least Likely To." I love this song and I love this side of Morrissey, it's always been obvious that he's a loyal and supportive friend when he chooses to be.

Is Morrissey writing about himself here? His own lisp is pretty noticeable at times.

Is Morrissey writing about himself here? His own lisp is pretty noticeable at times.

I think there’s a bit of him in most of the characters he sings about or sings through.

Of course. Quoting Wikipedia: "Gay male speech, particularly within North American English, has been the focus of numerous modern stereotypes, as well as sociolinguistic studies. Scientific research has uncovered phonetically significant features produced by many gay men and demonstrated that listeners accurately guess speakers' sexual orientation at rates greater than chance.[1] One feature of the speech is sometimes known as the "gay lisp", though researchers acknowledge that it is not technically a lisp".

So that's the "cue" I guess. When that special gift of gayness emerges, you just really know the narrator will 'roll' from the understalls and gurgle from the 'golden circle' and the bud will blossom. So this is really a very positive gay anthem. It's fitting to have this song discussed during the 'Gay lives matter'-month

Of course. Quoting Wikipedia: "Gay male speech, particularly within North American English, has been the focus of numerous modern stereotypes, as well as sociolinguistic studies. Scientific research has uncovered phonetically significant features produced by many gay men and demonstrated that listeners accurately guess speakers' sexual orientation at rates greater than chance.[1] One feature of the speech is sometimes known as the "gay lisp", though researchers acknowledge that it is not technically a lisp".

So that's the "cue" I guess. When that special gift of gayness emerges, you just really know the narrator will 'roll' from the understalls and gurgle from the 'golden circle' and the bud will blossom. So this is really a very positive gay anthem. It's fitting to have this song discussed during the 'Gay lives matter'-month
No, but I think you desperately want this song to be about 'gay-ness'.
Well, no.

“A love that's true (oh, those lucky lips)
I don't need a four-leaf clover
Rabbit's foot or good luck charm
With lucky lips you'll always have
A baby in your arms”

No, but I think you desperately want this song to be about 'gay-ness'.
Well, no.
No I don't, but maybe you desperately don't want it to be about 'gay-ness'?
'Nine-leaf clover' is apparently slang for the hole in the butt, something which also is often related to homosexuality. So...

is that right? i had no idea!
That is not right. I heard somebody say it once but I have found absolutely no source backing it up. Most likely he is referencing the fact that a four leaf clover is lucky, so a nine leaf clover is extremely lucky. It is just humorous exaggeration on the theme of this person being extremely lucky.

That is not right. I heard somebody say it once but I have found absolutely no source backing it up. Most likely he is referencing the fact that a four leaf clover is lucky, so a nine leaf clover is extremely lucky. It is just humorous exaggeration on the theme of this person being extremely lucky.
I'd love for any of our residential homosexual posters to come into thread and provide clarification!

WHERE IS DALE WHARFE?

Lucky Lisp, along with Piccadilly Palare, is the absolute peak example of gay iconography. The point where the subject matter pushes so hard against his supposed public reticence as to render the point moot for once and for all. I mean... what do fans think he's referering to when he says he'll "roar from the stall" and "gurgle from the circle". Do people not know what a glory hole is? Do fans really not know what a "nine leaf clover" is slang for???? Can the man be more joyously overt!?! And of course there's hundreds upon hundreds of examples like this littered throughout his songs. It amounts to a grand unifying theme. A full on celebration of homosexuality unprecedented in pop. I could go on and on and on. But apparently one needs to hear the man actually say the words "I am a homosexual" for any of it to, like, I don't know, track. Sooooo weird.

I don't think it is about homosexuality at all, all the evidence is a bit tenuous. It is just one of those songs in which Morrissey is 100% taking the piss. It is not meant to have a message or a real meaning imo, it is just a play on words with 'lucky lips'. I think the point is that it is a little nonsensical.

Of course I could be wrong, but that is how it seems to me.

It would be very typical of M to create a song purely for the sake of a bit of gratuitous wordplay.

Tags
morrissey a-z
Back
Top Bottom