Morrissey A-Z: "One of Our Own"

BookishBoy

Today's offering is this Morrissey/Manzur composition, included on the deluxe edition of World Peace Is None of Your Business.

What do we think?

Wow, another excellent song on the O section of the A-Z! This should have definitely been on the album proper, with its (for Moz, in 2014) very synth-heavy sound, something he has been progressively moving towards since arguably this album here. The twisting and turning arpeggios wind around a simply told, but heartfelt, story of friendship and betrayal: it’s another lyrical progression that is easy to visualise as a film. The breakdowns are crafted well, and have contrast between the main, more driving sections: the juxtaposition seems to show the difference between past and present, almost a flashback (the lyrics in these quieter moments do seem to detail the conversation hinted at throughout). A great cacophonous finish, with another classic Moz line (“there is no use for tomorrow”) before this superb hidden gem is finished.
9/10

Drums, bass and the repetitive 'scaling' piano dominate here for me, interspersed with wonderful guitar slashes. It's a superb track & one of my favourites from a great album (dlx version). Some weaknesses as far as lyrics are concerned (head/lead, plug/rug, round/ground) but I can certainly live with that.
Best lyric for me is:

"A job half done
Isn't done"

Simply brilliant.

Last edited by a moderator:
While OOOO (cool, all "Os" in the title) doesn't specifically mention gangs and such... thematically I've always viewed it as a cousin to FOTGTD. For me, it's among the best Morrissey has had to offer in the last 10 years. Also, it reminds me of his early solo b-sides where he could take something rather simple and turn it into something much grander - think: "Oh Well, I'll Never Learn," "I Know Very Well...," and "At Amber," songs of that ilk. 8/10

I can't get past all the terrible rhymes on this one, sorry. Excessive, obvious and painful to listen to, this is really poor work from a once great lyricist.

Love the sound of this one, it's spacious and warm and a great setting for Morrissey's voice. The melody is subtle but it works - and the same could be said of the lyrics, here: simple, but they work. I'll take this kind of song over chug-rock - any day, any day.

Good stuff from Gustavo and the producer. I agree with those who praise the overall sound of the track.

Lyrically it has its good and bad moments.

In the poll on the Hoffman board it ranked 111th from 264 solo songs.

Gustavo’s sole good composition. And just to really make it count, it’s not just ‘good’, it’s close to fantastic. However, a lot of that is thanks to Morrissey’s exquisite vocal melody. And then there’s the lyrics. Another prime example of the warmth and heart that permeates the WPINOYB bonus tracks and is almost nonexistent on the album proper.

It’s a no for me. Sounds kinda clunky and a bit cheesy to me at times. Nothing moving for me here

Pointless song
Goes on to long

Words for music waiting
Almost anticipating

The composition as such
Isn't up to much

The easiest rhymes
Are lyrical crimes

Anyone can do it
This track is absolute...ly not very good.

Should have been on WPINOYB. I like that 60s US laid back crooner sound, he delivers in greater parts on the bonus disc. Suits him better than hot blooded latin american folklore.

It is a really beautiful song. I think the combination of. repetitive piano, solid rythm section.and Jesse’s typical guitar slashes Duits the band : it brings out the best of each member and turns it into something bigger than the individual parts. Yes, Once I sac the river clear uses the same trick (and. even beter). Icing on the cake is as always Morrissey’s voice and vocal harmony.

very good,takes its time and goes along at a nice steady pace.
8 standing/10 stones.

It is a really beautiful song. I think the combination of. repetitive piano, solid rythm section.and Jesse’s typical guitar slashes Duits the band : it brings out the best of each member and turns it into something bigger than the individual parts. Yes, Once I sac the river clear uses the same trick (and. even beter). Icing on the cake is as always Morrissey’s voice and vocal harmony.
How do you plan on making the river clean using your sack?

One of the best songs on WP.
And played this just as much as anything else on that album...

Quite surprised that not as many posters didn’t like this as much as I thought...

Still , I love this song

Because people were saying it's better than "Once I Saw The River Clean" I tried to buy it and found that is impossible now but I recorded it off youtube. So far I don't think it's as good but I'll listen later at home and see.

The lyrics might have been inspired by the poem "Matey" (1915) by Patrick MacGill. Morrissey quotes the second and third verse in Autobiography.

"Who on earth is Patrick MacGill, who in 1916 wrote:

Over the top is cold, matey –

You lie on the field alone.
Didn’t I love you of old, matey,
Dearer than the blood of my own.
You were my dearest chum, matey –
(Gawd! but your face is white)
But now, though reliefs ’ave come, matey,
I’m goin’ alone tonight.

I’d sooner the bullet was mine, matey –
Goin’ out on my own,
Leavin’ you ’ere in the line, matey,

All by yourself, alone.
Chum o’ mine and you’re dead, matey,
And this is the way we part
The bullet went through your head, matey,
But Gawd! it went through my ’eart"

Could One Of Our Own unofficially be regarded as a follow-up to First Of The Gang To Die? Maybe I think so, after having listened to the latter right before the first. On beforehand thanks.

Tags
morrissey a-z
Back
Top Bottom