Morrissey A-Z: "Pashernate Love"

BookishBoy

Today's offering is this Morrissey/Whyte/Day composition, a B-side on the "You're the One for Me, Fatty" single in 1992.

What do we think?

great song,fast paced,good voice.one of the many good b-sides.
8 blisters/10 boils.

Lovely, lively, bouncy number which I like a lot. All about Moz’s inability to find love, of course, despite his availability. “I'm always there, It's always elsewhere”. I noticed there’s a very slight, but clever, intonation when he sings ‘elsewhere’, which sort of reflects his despairing of the whole situation. The song title & its clever misspelling of ‘passionate’ possibly suggesting that passionate love is something which is so alien to him that he doesn’t even know how to spell it correctly.

Love the tempo, the drums (Cobrin) & bass (Day) on this. Funny & witty lyrics:
“Could make your grandmother zoom, Roller-skating back from the grave”

Wonderful; I don’t know of any other song which comes complete with erupting blisters & boils.
There’s also a slightly longer version, with extended outro, running at 2:47.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry, don’t care much for this one. I like the variety of instruments presented, but the tune is pummelled to death (and not in a clever or interesting way) and the vocal melody is just serviceable; nothing much to distinguish it from any other song at the time. It also sounds quite poorly mixed, with Moz’s vocals fighting for attention underneath the prevalent crack of the drums and slow drones of the top melody. The lyrics are fine: the “blisters and boils” line was quite funny, but he has done a lot better. Overall, just average, doubt I’ll be listening to this again for a while at least.
5/10

A surprise, it was only a b-side in 92 when it got it's live debut at the end of 91. A transformation song from the Morrissey of 91 to the muscle packed glam sound of 92. Lovely tune.

Great stomper, this one. Clever lyrics, nice drive. One of the good rockers.

One of these b-sides where he experimented with a new sound, very much welcomed at the time.
It’s boisterous and refreshing but I think he’s done it better in many of the songs that made it on YA.

In reality it's a very average b-side, but I agree that it is superior to the substandard single.

The music is repetitive and dull, the musicianship is pretty basic and the lyrics are disposable. It's always sounded to me like relatively little effort was exerted in recording the b-sides of 1992 in comparison with the excellent production of the album.

In the poll on the Hoffman board this ranked 228th from 264 solo songs.

Strange for me, this one: I've probably only listened to it about 10 times in my life but despite that the melody pops into my brain regularly. No f****ing idea why, as it feels like a bang-average tune. It's a bit of a romp, I guess!

Strange for me, this one: I've probably only listened to it about 10 times in my life but despite that the melody pops into my brain regularly. No f****ing idea why, as it feels like a bang-average tune. It's a bit of a romp, I guess!
It's just Moz playing mind games with you...:lbf:

This song absolutely rips and nearly made teenage heads explode the handful of times it was played in 1991. Energetically, it's everything good about early Morrissey.

Definitely the M of 91. Not one of his greatest by any means but, the standards he’s set, it’s always going to be difficult to hit perfection all the time
It’s not a bad effort

At the time I quite liked it as I ravenously devoured everything from Morrissey... but honestly, I wasn't as discerning a listener. While I still have a fondness for it, I can hear now that it's solidly a mediocre song (nothing wrong with that... just that perspectives can change).

I remember this was a regular on the 2nd leg of the Kill Uncle tour... makes me wonder if Morrissey was that proud of it or was just happy to feature new material?

5/10

At the time I quite liked it as I ravenously devoured everything from Morrissey... but honestly, I wasn't as discerning a listener. While I still have a fondness for it, I can hear now that it's solidly a mediocre song (nothing wrong with that... just that perspectives can change).

I remember this was a regular on the 2nd leg of the Kill Uncle tour... makes me wonder if Morrissey was that proud of it or was just happy to feature new material?

5/10

At the time I’m sure he was proud of it. A little taster for the awesomeness that was to come with the new album and Your Arsenal tour.

Fun

Tags
morrissey a-z
Back
Top Bottom