Morrissey A-Z: "Please Help the Cause Against Loneliness"

I guess I always thought that you try to be young when your old and the old are often lonely

‘Born old, sadly wise’

:cool:

Yes it is only a demo, and if it’s sound and potential were fully realized, regardless of hearing Sandie’s version with its horns, etc, then I think judgement placed on it would be much fairer. Though as it is, we unfortunately only have a demo, or to my ear, an unfinished production.

:unsure:

Interesting. I never thought of “I don’t mind ...” as a ‘Motown stomper’.

But “Please Help ..” does have a Motown/Charming Man pop sound and feel to it, that works for Sandie, taking into account her vocal delivery and background of 60’s pop.
He sings: “would you like a list of my dislikes?” which immediately made me think of “Sing Your Life”’s proclamations.
Also, the Motown feel mainly comes from the drums to me, and the swing feel.
Interesting what you make of it, though!

He sings: “would you like a list of my dislikes?” which immediately made me think of “Sing Your Life”’s proclamations.
Also, the Motown feel mainly comes from the drums to me, and the swing feel.
Interesting what you make of it, though!

Ah, ok.

Written circa very late '87 - Sandie's take was released February '88, so probably very quickly handed off to her.
The outtakes and "duet" version (loosely named) kind of segue in to her version - which has a slightly overdone feel to it (with the remnants of the original present in the mix).
Given Street was at the helm for both versions - perhaps how he envisaged it is more akin to Sandie's version (which may have been the kiss of death)?

Regards,
FWD.

Always liked both Morrissey's and Sandie's versions.
250 out of 264? I can think of a lot more than 14 songs not as good (more than that on the last 4 albums! )

Start always reminds me of 'You Can't Hurry Love' - Phil Collins (1982).
I don't mind it at all. A jolly little number with good singalongability.
I love that he did something with one of his idols, & 60's icon, Sandie Shaw.
Mozilicious.

I like the comparison to Sing Your Life. And since I have a soft spot for Sing Your Life, I really can't be too harsh on this one.

“I Don’t Mind If You Forget Me” doesn't in any way resemble the sound of anything released on the Motown label.

I like the comparison to Sing Your Life. And since I have a soft spot for Sing Your Life, I really can't be too harsh on this one.
I'm with you; I love SYL. (y)
Any fool can think of words that rhyme, but they'll never make it sound as good as Morrissey does.
Fact.

I love this one. If you don't love this but like things like "Never Played Symphonies" you should probably see if Andy Williams has a forum. It's a minor masterpiece, isn't it @Janice ?
7/10

Start always reminds me of 'You Can't Hurry Love' - Phil Collins (1982).
I don't mind it at all. A jolly little number with good singalongability.
I love that he did something with one of his idols, & 60's icon, Sandie Shaw.
Mozilicious.
Phil...Collins? PHIL COLLINS!? Bloody phil-istine! (I actually wrote the same thing as you wrote about the start, in an act of funny synchronicity, but looked above and saw you had written it)

From 1966 (that creepy wee bald 80s-radio-despoiling bugger is not getting the credit for a classic):

I don't care if everyone else hates it - this song gives me a boner. What more could I ask for?

It never really takes off. It would though (it seems to me) lend itself rather well to a rockabilly treatment.

Tags
morrissey a-z
Back
Top Bottom