Morrissey A-Z: "Safe, Warm Lancashire Home"

BookishBoy

We start a whole month of S songs with this Morrissey/Street composition, originally recorded during the Viva Hate sessions but not released until 2011 when it was a B-side on the limited release "Glamorous Glue" single.

What do we think?

It's definitely not up to the standard of other Viva Hate material but it's nice. I think if this was a new song it would be well received.
6/10

Obviously not a finished product, but in mere seconds you sense the warm, nostalgic and deeply melancholy air that permeates Viva Hate. Morrissey in 1987-88 was a man with a clear artistic vision and with the right tools to see it through. Ultimately, I prefer Treat Me Like a Human Being (recorded - and released - around the same time), but this one is still dear to my heart.

Like almost everyone else, I have a lot of fondness for the Viva Hate era and for Moz's collaborations with Stephen Street. That being said, it was the correct decision to jettison this one. According to Andrew Paresi, Morrissey said that it "reminded him of an Aran sweater" and you can hear why. It feels like Morrissey by numbers and, despite one of two interesting lines, it sounds very unfinished lyrically.

Musically it would have needed a lot more work to turn it into something worthwhile.

In the poll on the Hoffman board this ranked 258th from 264 solo songs.

Obviously not a finished product, but in mere seconds you sense the warm, nostalgic and deeply melancholy air that permeates Viva Hate. Morrissey in 1987-88 was a man with a clear artistic vision and with the right tools to see it through. Ultimately, I prefer Treat Me Like a Human Being (recorded - and released - around the same time), but this one is still dear to my heart.
That's interesting, but I would say that this tune and the comments of insiders at the time indicate something a little different.

By all accounts, Morrissey was very uncertain about what he wanted to do throughout the recording of Viva Hate and had many doubts. The simple fact that he tried and discarded so many songs is an indicator of his mentality (especially as The Smiths had so few unfinished songs throughout their career).

Even after the album was completed Morrissey remained very uncertain about its worth.

That's interesting, but I would say that this tune and the comments of insiders at the time indicate something a little different.

By all accounts, Morrissey was very uncertain about what he wanted to do throughout the recording of Viva Hate and had many doubts. The simple fact that he tried and discarded so many songs is an indicator of his mentality (especially as The Smiths had so few unfinished songs throughout their career).

Even after the album was completed Morrissey remained very uncertain about its worth.
That really is interesting. The album and the tracks surrounding it doesn’t really show these doubts, for the most part.

It’s a demo, and it’s an OK song. If it were finished, definitely more of a concrete arrangement would have been dealt to it, but in this form, it is what it is I suppose. The lyrics are fine and chime in with the warm atmosphere of the guitar chords, and this interplay may give us an idea of what it would have been like if it has been completed. For a person who loves to mess around with their back catalogue, though, it’s strange that Moz didn’t do a Bruce or U2 and re-record the tracks, with new vocals or new instrumentation: we only just got this with Boz’s “That’s Entertainment”, which trumps Moz’s original cover (and sounds, funnily enough, like a song from Bruce’s masterpiece Tunnel Of Love). Anyway, I digress. It’s alright is the overriding verdict here.
5/10

reminds me of kit in its unfinished state,a simple song that isnt going to change anyones lives.not terrible.
7 lancashire/10 homes.

As a finished song, a worthy contender as a b-side for a possible third single from Viva Hate or alternatively, the only b-side on the second part of a 2 CD-Single set, if that cash grapping format would have already existed in eighty hate. Ok, that's quiet technical.

Coming in at less than 2 minutes, it feels more like an embryo that could have been a song with more work and additional ideas.

A bit of a rough diamond this one. Lovely, soft, cosy, & melancholic lyrics. Wonderful vocals as always. :thumb:

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice melody and vibe, but kind of a rambling on that goes nowhere without impact. Was thinking this could have made a good b-side on the Suedehead release, but I Know Very Well and even I’ll Never Learn are much much better songs.

Though while listening to this demo
I’m sure many a Gene like bands would have given their legs to have written.

We start a whole month of S songs with this Morrissey/Street composition, originally recorded during the Viva Hate sessions but not released until 2011 when it was a B-side on the limited release "Glamorous Glue" single.

What do we think?

If you are English, this song, in fact, every song until Quarry, has another dimension,
The Americans and, shinney knees, Japanese can come to take a walk around Salford.But they don't know ..Now its true people will say this about anyone who isn't from The North of England but that is being daft. The North is a working-class story and the working class is the same ilk up and down the country - except Sussex and Surrey.
This, although a demo, has a certain sense of sadness thats miced with the comfort of your safe warm home. Its very much a snippet of Last night M Street. in vocal feel .
Like lots of other people, this M .. Is always going to be the M that shot deep into the end and the start of the heart. I would never truely walk away from him, because of what he was here and in the smiths. I can't It was such a reflection of what I was and am ..
Basically, this isn't a very good demo but what it contains is the voice of someone who was in a place I connected to .. Thus I love it more than anything by Led Zepplin

If you are English, this song, in fact, every song until Quarry, has another dimension,
The Americans and, shinney knees, Japanese can come to take a walk around Salford.But they don't know ..Now its true people will say this about anyone who isn't from The North of England but that is being daft. The North is a working-class story and the working class is the same ilk up and down the country - except Sussex and Surrey.
This, although a demo, has a certain sense of sadness thats miced with the comfort of your safe warm home. Its very much a snippet of Last night M Street. in vocal feel .
Like lots of other people, this M .. Is always going to be the M that shot deep into the end and the start of the heart. I would never truely walk away from him, because of what he was here and in the smiths. I can't It was such a reflection of what I was and am ..
Basically, this isn't a very good demo but what it contains is the voice of someone who was in a place I connected to .. Thus I love it more than anything by Led Zepplin
Led Zep is, along with effing Queen and a few others, one of the most horrendously overrated bands of all time. Also: hats off to your latest posts. Heartfelt and passionate.

I’m slightly confused about the north.....

Aren’t we now conservative???

Have I misunderstood that bit of your post ???

Tags
morrissey a-z
Back
Top Bottom