Morrissey A-Z: "Sister I'm a Poet"

BookishBoy

Today's song is this Morrissey/Street composition, a B-side on "Everyday Is Like Sunday" - what do we think?

[The A-Z will now pause for a summer break, and we'll start up again on Monday 16th August.]

This song is pure happiness to me. It's one of M's songs, that gives me almost the same kind of joyous feel as a Smiths song, like say Ask, or something. I know they sound different, I'm just saying, it generates a sense of bouncing joy.

As I say. this period of M's career is my favourite, pre-Boz and Alain. I like Alain and BBs songs, but M himself kind of changed his image around that period.
He became less interesting, at least to me. Football, Vespas, Jack The Ripper, he started to become a bit too obvious, he was driving onto an English cultural road that was well travelled by others. For an American, it was maybe exotic but for most brits, it was a bit "Really?"
Its kinda funny all this praise for Alain now, its amazing what having Jesse in the band for a number of years can do.
People bitched about Alains songs for years, it was always " When is Johnny coming back? WE want Johnny" or "Get Bernard Butler"
Still, I hear, Alain is a nice guy and I hope he gets a hero's welcome. It would be brilliant if he gets way louder shouts that Jesse

love it,voice is great on this,lyrics are funny,great wake up song for a monday morning.
9 prison gates/10 romance of crime.

The studio version is jangly indie pop perfection, with one foot clearly in Smiths land. The early 90’s live versions, however, are raucous rockabilly, a far cry from the Smiths and instead deeply rooted in the rough and rowdy ways of the Lads. No matter how it’s approached, though, it’s still a fantastic song.

Classic pop song that could have been a single in its own right. It’s got a rockabilly twang that pushes the boat out a little and foreshadows more early 90s ventures, and has an irresistible chorus. The minor verses help to cement contrast and interest throughout, making the major key chorus as the more jubilant. A live favourite for good reason.
10/10

Firstly, have pity for the poor person who had to translate the lyrics into Japanese for the live video above. I don't think they had been printed anywhere at the time, so the accuracy is likely to be questionable...

Anyhow, a great song and in some ways it really ought to have been saved for a second studio album. I think this b-sides session (where Will Never Marry, Disappointed and Happy Lovers United were also recorded) was a real high point for Morrissey.

In the poll on the Hoffman board this ranked 55th from 264 solo songs.

A truly wonderful song, Sister I’m A Poet has one foot in The Smiths and the other kicking the door to Morrissey’s solo career off its hinges. With pure energy and captivating lyrics it is a sheer joy from start to finish. Sublime!

Majestic and flawless when Smiths reserve guitarist Craig Gannon plays it.

Then Alain 'The Butcher' Whyte gets his hands on it and the difference is there for all to hear.

One of his best, could have been a Smiths song

Then Alain 'The Butcher' Whyte gets his hands on it and the difference is there for all to hear.
I think it's a completely different take on the song, rather than Alain not being able to play and thus "butchering" it. Gannon plays it like a Smiths song, a jangly indie pop song in the vein of Marr. Alain accentuates the rockabilly influences and plays it more twangy and raw. It's a completely different arrangement at that.

Another proof of how strong his initial output (VH and the first 4 EPs) Post Smiths really was.
We knew it couldn’t last.
Morrissey has continued to write great songs, just not at this rate anymore.
9/10

The story’s old, but it goes on.
Each time there’s a new guitarist.
Perhaps a good thing then that he doesn’t change them too often?

I think it's a completely different take on the song, rather than Alain not being able to play and thus "butchering" it. Gannon plays it like a Smiths song, a jangly indie pop song in the vein of Marr. Alain accentuates the rockabilly influences and plays it more twangy and raw. It's a completely different arrangement at that.
Very diplomatic. You say 'different arrangement' I say 'butchered'.

I should get a job as Moz's guitarist. I can't play either and have very different 'arrangements' to offer.

Tags
morrissey a-z
Back
Top Bottom