Morrissey A-Z: "Skin Storm"

BookishBoy

We resume the A-Z after a short summer break with Morrissey's cover of this Bradford song (composed by Ian Hodgson and released as the band's debut single in 1988), a B-side of "Pregnant for the Last Time".

What do we think?

If you didn't know it was a cover, you might have thought it was a Morrissey original. I think that's an all-around compliment.

not terrible,welcome back booky,hope you enjoyed your hols.
6 senses/10 tingling.

Last edited:
I love this one - I don't think Morrissey would ever write an entirely positive song about love & his voice sounds beautiful.

Did the Ordnance Survey put Bradford on the map with a little help from Morrissey, or was it the other way around? I do prefer the guitarwork of the original (which I must admit, I only listened to for the first time a few months back) and this song is fine as a B-side, but it doesn’t do a great deal for me. I really should like it more as it seems to tick all the right boxes, but something just doesn’t resonate with me…

@BookishBoy - welcome back, I hope you had a good break!

Well @BookishBoy, recovered well? Welcome back. I bought Bradford's record back then and Morrissey's version is just better, has more depth and charisma. Between 89-91 there are so many wonderful little B-sides and "Skin Storm" is one of them. Clive Langer & Alan Winstanley knew their stuff. Lovely!

While Moz's voice is good, and his version beats the original hands down, the song does nothing at all for me. Frankly, I find it all a bit 'wet'.
I'd rather listen to Light Housework's paint as it dries.
P.S. I think 'Bradford' must be the worst name imaginable for any band...ever. What the hell were they thinking of?

While Moz's voice is good, and his version beats the original hands down, the song does nothing at all for me. Frankly, I find it all a bit 'wet'.
P.S. I think 'Bradford' must be the worst name imaginable for any band...ever. What the hell were they thinking of?
Especially as they were from Blackburn!

It's like calling your band "Peterborough" or "Basingstoke". Very weird.

It's like calling your band "Peterborough" or "Basingstoke". Very weird.
Indeed, however it could have been so much worse; 'Mablethorpe' for example, or worse still...'Scunthorpe'. Imagine that one??
Doncaster (in comparison to 'Bratford') does have a certain ring to it..."the guy from Doncaster plays a Fender Stratocaster" am sure Moz could have trotted out a lyric about that one :cool:

I just googled the band and it came up on Wiki that the original bass player is now in the Manchester based Morrissey tribute band Viva Morrissey

iv always said the best name for a band is an indie group from edinburgh,they were fantastically called We Were Promised Jetpacks.

Welcome back @BookishBoy, hope you enjoyed your vacation.
I always liked this song, Morrissey’s voice is very zweet here. The original is also quite good, more reminiscent of the Smiths guitar sound and produced by Stephen Street.

I just googled the band and it came up on Wiki that the original bass player is now in the Manchester based Morrissey tribute band Viva Morrissey

a rags to riches story then.

I love this one - I don't think Morrissey would ever write an entirely positive song about love & his voice sounds beautiful.

Lol. He even changes the original line ‘Love is a wonderful emotion’ to ‘Love could be a wonderful emotion’.

Lovely song, both versions. Great as a b-side, production works.

Though let’s be honest, he’s
in some ways covering himself.

Tags
morrissey a-z
Back
Top Bottom