Morrissey A-Z: "To Me You Are a Work of Art"

I love it. It reminds me of a good time and place in my life. And all you kids in love, quote this song to your love interest. Trust me.

Another song where I feel the vocal melody outshines the music.

Alain's contribution is mostly very average, with a few brighter moments, and it's up to Morrissey to try to create something memorable. This is particularly true of the chorus.

Not one of his best songs, but a solid album track and might have been a better choice for 4th single on the album.

In the poll on the Hoffman board it ranked 164th from 264 solo songs.

one of my all time faves,reminds of a better time in the world.lyrics fantastic ,voice is fantastic on this,live version was amazing with crowd roar halfway through.to me this is a work of art.
10 works of/10 art.

Last edited:
One of the greatest Ringleader compositions: it’s urgent, driving and passionate, and masks the iffy production with some intriguing instrumental choices and a stunner of a vocal performance.
I adore the strings running throughout, especially that constant feedback drone that emerges throughout as a motive to keep moving.
It’s very cinematic, while the lyrics lean more towards complimenting a partner as they contrast severely with the destruction in the outside world: common themes on the album. And it makes sense: I sometimes tend to think of the LP as a film, and this races towards a cathartic climax, once Moz has left the mix and the instruments just keep the groove going. It’s excellent.
This is a real high point on the album, and counters some of the weaker songs that are interspersed throughout (also, is it just me, or is there a whiff of the Cure is Moz’s delivery, especially the chorus. I mean this in a good way coming from a big Cure fan. Interesting...)
8/10

Great title to quote on my mother’s birthay !
Lyrics are echoing previous songs, I enjoy the music and his voice , especially in the live version.
7/10

Last edited:
Outstanding track which truly is a 'work of art'; love both versions, but that live version is so superior. To me, on that live version, the opening guitar strum sounds like the start to 'On The Streets I Ran'.
'I see the world
It makes me puke'

Just brilliant!

A stunning piece of music all round, and there is nothing I dislike about this song what so ever.
It sums up ringleaders and I even got to hear this live ...

I think the chorus is weak but I like the verses. "To me you are a work of art" doesn't work for me but I like "I see the world, it makes me puke." lol 7/10

Tags
morrissey a-z
Back
Top Bottom