Morrissey A-Z: "What Kind of People Live in These Houses?"

With references to penthouses and duplex dwelling, I always took this song as a sneer aimed at middle class people. Could it just be Morrissey lashing out at those people snubbing him on social media or in the press? After all, those people were mainly the more educated people from the middle class. And Moz has a habit of hitting back at his distractors in songs.

I think he tries to be funny with his wordplays, but they are not easy to get. WTF is meent by a rough trade stranger? Anyway, But some words can be taken as condescending.

It’s a lovely and uplifting tune though.

Last edited:
The Through The Keyhole / Grossman-esque plural version of the catchphrase coupled with people like Kenneth Williams on the first season probably have some role to play in this song's creation.
Regards,
FWD.

The lyrics always reminded me of Linder's words in the Channel 4 The Importance of Being Morrissey doc. I think it was there that she talked about them looking into people's houses and Morrissey asking, "Yes, but are they really happy?"

The lyrics could be taken as misanthropic, and with Morrissey I'm sure there's an element of that, but I also find some humour and even envy. I think that while Morrissey questions "normal" lives, there's probably a part of him that has always been gazing wistfully from afar.

A fine piece of music and interesting that it was recorded by a new group of musicians.

In the poll on the Hoffman board, influenced by its newness of course, it ranked 22nd from 264 solo songs.

Love this one. What’s not to enjoy with those bright guitar tones and nice swells of lap-steel. As with others I find the lyrics funny rather than bitter.

(y)

very pertinent Moz Masterpiece, seeing that this very forum is chock full of
docile Le :frogface:s living in poor housing dwellings.o_O
they post as if they were superstars, like le :frogface: himself, but
live in dwellings that are ready to crumble with tore up 'furniture'.:hammer:

Yeah I also love this one. As mentioned it's a lively, catchy, earworm of a song. Love the bouncing bass and the guitar work. I don't care if it's laced with sarcasm & sneering, or simply just fun, but it's a great track. I especially like the line:
'What kind of sad Baz
Scratches in this crash-pad?' :lbf:

Fabulous!

The 'houses' represents haughty positions in society, monarch/oligarch/Guardian editor

These roles are lauded, but upon closer inspection they are as flawed as everyone else.

"I'd rather not go back to the old house" - not referring to bricks and mortar.

if I had to rank songs from IANADOAC, I'd put that song at number 7. I like it and I hum it to myself often, returning home in the evening and looking at the windows of the apartments I pass

So he’s brimging back the thuggish looking gay men from the underclasses!

Rough trade is mostly used for a male prostitute - but it could be any rough looking boyfriend.

Carpet chewer is probably a lesbian.

With references to penthouses and duplex dwelling, I always took this song as a sneer aimed at middle class people. Could it just be Morrissey lashing out at those people snubbing him on social media or in the press? After all, those people were mainly the more educated people from the middle class. And Moz has a habit of hitting back at his distractors in songs.

I think he tries to be funny with his wordplays, but they are not easy to get. WTF is meent by a rough trade stranger? Anyway, But some words can be taken as condescending.

It’s a lovely and uplifting tune though.
Rough Trade stranger...Geoff Travis?

I love this and as I have mentioned before I can hear the sixties influence e.g. The Shadows,The Tornadoes.

Tags
morrissey a-z
Back
Top Bottom