Morrissey A-Z: "Wide to Receive"

There are days when this is my favourite Morrissey/Smiths song of all time. It's just so effortlessly beautiful, and somehow encapsulates so much of the loneliness of our online existence. (Which is why communities like this, as batshit crazy as they are, can be so much fun.) And then it's just so deeply homoerotic at the same time - or that's how it seems to me, anyway. Incredible song.

I haven’t heard this song for over 20 years.
And I hope it’s another 20 until the next time I hear it.....
It’s a simple song, with not to much going on musically or lyrically and for me that’s it’s saving grace, it’s simplicity...
Not Morrissey’s worst song, I find it just rather dull and boring, taken from a largely dull album, and for once moz got the singles choice correct on Maladjusted , after alma and Satan, two great singles there’s pretty much nothing left on a dud album. Roy’s keen sucked as well.

It's deliciously pure filth, isn't it? ISN'T IT? The 'wide' concept in the context of those brylcreamed and brilliantined 1970s footballers was such a cheeky dig in the ribs - all those Jimmies, Jackies, Jeffies and Bobbies together in deep white-tiled communal baths collectively soaping Nobby's knob and having a right how's-your-father prior to taking the Missus up the Angus Steak House of a Saturday night.

A nice, yet ultimately pretty anonymous song. It has a very similar chord progression to “Trouble Loves Me”, but a good, melismatic vocal performance saves it. The instrumentation is also another flanged murk, with Boz’s flute(?) adding some much needed tonal colour. It builds nicely into what should be a more cathartic finish, but somewhat dampened by the weak production (heard especially in the almost-indecipherable backing vocals) as well as a lack of real climax.
Everything about it is pleasant, and the vocals (as usual) are the best thing about it, yet nothing really grabs me here.
6/10

For whatever reason, the song is always stuck in my head. Sonically and melodically, it really encapsulates the late afternoon mood that I associate with most of the Maladjusted album. Beyond the obvious homoerotic subtext, I've enthusiastically held a longstanding and somewhat embarrassing belief that this song is about AOL Instant Messenger, which allowed user-to-user file exchange after setting your status to "receive." It's certainly not out of the question that Morrissey could have been using the application to chat with whomever in 1996/1997.

Specificity of the technology aside, it scores points for being one of the first pop lyrics penned about the internet.

Somehow have it in my head this is Nina Perssons favourite Moz-song. Makes sense somehow.

Lovely ballad, if that’s what is is, with for 1997, quite modern lyrics, for Moz anyway.

great song,another dreamy effort from M,voice and music are very good on this although the voice doesnt need to do too much.
8 turn-on/10 plug-in.

Curious that this piece should not have been on the record, but in the end replaced "I know who I love". Wonderful wordplay with the name of his favorite poet, again everything sounds like late summer and the splendor of bygone days and quite honestly: how much more delicate is " I am lying here wide to receive" compared to "Wrap your legs around my face just to greet me". Decide for yourselves how much he changed as a poet. Maladjusted forever!!!

In my memory he sings "Wilde" not "Wide", maybe because It wanted it to be that way.

Last edited:
Curious that this piece should not have been on the record, but in the end replaced "I know who I love". Wonderful wordplay with the name of his favorite poet, again everything sounds like late summer and the splendor of bygone days and quite honestly: how much more delicate is " I am lying here wide to receive" compared to "Wrap your legs around my face just to greet me". Decide for yourselves how much he changed as a poet. Maladjusted forever!!!

In my memory he sings "Wilde" not "Wide", maybe because It wanted it to be that way.
According to Simon Goddard, this song replaced I Can Have Both late on.

A pleasant, sleepy little album track. Certainly not a stand-out though, and I think Morrissey's vocal might be the best thing about it.

I think it was just about worthy of its place on Maladjusted, but wouldn't really miss it if it wasn't there.

In the poll on the Hoffman board it ranked 206th from 264 solo songs.

20200517_203023.jpg

Alain ^^
Always liked this song.
Reminds me of AOL chats for some reason.
Regards,
FWD.

Another formidable track to make up for WYOYL and WWPUftP. I’ve loved this track since I first heard it, back in what must have been 2002-ish. Maladjusted was the first Moz album I heard. Back then, my favorite line was “I don’t get along with myself, and I’m not too keen on anyone else.” And frankly, it’s still my favorite. Adore this song, and I adore Maladjusted - his second best solo album!

Mr Shandy has just returned from his daily constitutional up Shude Hill. He's had an idea, so he has. He thinks so much of this 'what do we think of this' idea that he's had an idea of his own. This is how it would work: 'So, here's a record cover of someone's arse - what do we think of this record cover? Is it a good one or what?' Or... 'And, here, we see a record cover that has a picture of her off 'George and Mildred' on it - what do we think of this, then?' And so on . . . .

Tags
morrissey a-z
Back
Top Bottom