Morrissey A-Z: "Will Never Marry"

BookishBoy

Today's song is this Morrissey/Street composition, originally a B-side to "Everyday Is Like Sunday" and also featured (in an edited version) on Bona Drag.

What do we think?

An absolute gem and one of my all time Morrissey favourites. One of the most beautiful songs he has ever written. This would have been the ideal closing track on Viva Hate.

I love it. Great music, lyrics, production, vocals. I love the instrumental section that starts about 1:40 10/10

Always wondered who the woman was that calls out ‘Steven!’ twice at 2:30. Guessing it may have been someone that worked at the studio,
or maybe Sandie Shaw? sounds like her to me.
"The tune’s sweeping pathos was accentuated with additional sound effects. ‘Morrissey said he wanted the noise of people cheering somebody on running in a race, and kids in a playground,’ recalls Street. ‘He also wanted the sound of a mother calling out to her son. My wife, Sarah, was visiting the studio that day with our baby son, William. Since she was the only woman in the studio, we asked her to do it. So that’s my wife shouting “Steven!” towards the end. Afterwards Morrissey told me it put a chill down his spine every time he heard it.’"

Mozipedia cut and paste.
Regards,
FWD.

And YET . . . sometimes it just happens when you least expect it. Mr Shandy and myself had this played at our civil ceremony in SUCH an archly ironic way that the Registrar virtually burst out of his waistcoat. And onwards, onwards - these things become the soundtrack of a relationship mapped by endless dramas and petty squabbles around furious bouts of buggery and demented flippancy.

A superb and stunning piece of music, for me the production is the star of this song, with Moz not having to do to much and that’s part of magic, he doesn’t over sing As he doesn’t have to.
I’ve always loved this song
An absolute delight to listen to again

Amazing, amazing, amazing. One of Moz’s best: the heart-tugging strings, the beautiful Vini guitar (esp. on the longer version - sounds like a classic Durutti Column song) as well as the heartfelt and personal lyricism. Everything meshes perfectly, and is produced beautifully. What else is there to say? Just a classic, no doubt about it.
10/10

how can this be a b-side,absolutely stunning song.lyrics and voice are great especially the musical outro.
10 thank you/10 but no.

He never makes idle threats . I always adore this song. Important statement delivered in a gentle way .
8/10

I love watching that compilation of photos of Morrissey and listening to this song, in the first video. He has an innocence to him that I can't help but see.

Hats off to the previous speakers. Classics, both versions! He was surrounded by gifted people then, who knew what it needed to make him shine brighter. Nuff said!

The Everyday is Like Sunday single is one of the high points of Morrissey's career and this is further evidence of that. I think it's probably my least favourite of the 4 songs, but that's only because the other 3 are all classics.

I think the shortened version for the compilation was an understandable decision, but I enjoy it both ways (as it were).

Whether it would have been a smart move to save some of these b-sides for a second studio album is another matter.

In the poll on the Hoffman board it ranked 67th from 264 solo songs.

What more to be said? Upper echelon stuff, this. One of his best songs, let alone b-sides. I love songs that mix melancholia with defiance, and in the process comfort you and create hope.

A superb and stunning piece of music, for me the production is the star of this song, with Moz not having to do to much and that’s part of magic, he doesn’t over sing As he doesn’t have to.
I’ve always loved this song
An absolute delight to listen to again
Good point about the production... it really shows just how much Street brought to the relationship. Morrissey taking a backseat to the production is not something that would happen often... but it works perfectly here. Of course an equally beautiful vocal and minimal lyric from Morrissey. We were really spoiled by the early solo material, there's not a misstep to be found. 10/10

Tags
morrissey a-z
Back
Top Bottom