Morrissey A-Z: "Yes, I Am Blind"

BookishBoy

We kick off the final letter of the A-Z series with this Morrissey/Rourke composition, a B-side on the "Ouija Board, Ouija Board" single and also included on Bona Drag.

What do we think?

Not a song that I listen to at all, but it has a nice melody and it’s sung very well

"There must be something horribly wrong with me"
This is really a favorite and I do think lots of people love it. It was given kind of a minor presentation and put on a record full of great songs so it could have been overlooked or forgotten but I think it's remembered. I have to give this one a 10/10 It captures that time in his career perfectly.

Yes, a fabulous song, heartfelt and warm as was common for Moz back then. A song I constantly go back to as it’s so very very relatable.

It’s a simple but infectious song, quietly building towards the climax You’re just like me and your life has not even begun”. Classic Moz.

Last edited:
It’s a simple but infectious song, quietly building towards the climax You’re just like me and your life has not even begunstigde”. Classic Moz.
What the f***?

A lovely song and it's one of the few from the Bona Drag studio sessions that genuinely would have been good enough to make an album.

Whether this song had a positive influence on his solo career is more debatable, as before this he was on the cusp of scrapping a Langer/Winstanley session. This convinced him to continue and he worked with them for another couple of years, or so.

Morrissey's voice and lyrics dominate the song, but the musical backing is also very pretty.

In the poll on the Hoffman board it ranked 126th from 264 solo songs.

a real slow burner for a sunday morning.great song,voice is fine without needing too much effort.
8 little lambs/10 good christians.

We kick off the final letter of the A-Z series with this Morrissey/Rourke composition, a B-side on the "Ouija Board, Ouija Board" single and also included on Bona Drag.

What do we think?

ten days to go,after months and months of the A-Z we are on the last lap.

Ah, but @BookishBoy did agree that discussing the Smiths songs would be a logical next step, so hopefully we can continue this for a couple of months.
would be fine if we had a break in between,pointless jumping straight into a smiths a-z.

A beautifully lithe piece of chamber-jangle pop, impressively stripped down, but still retaining the drama required to carry the pretty soul-searching lyrics. It prefigures high drama pieces like "I've Changed My Plea to Guilty", and is on a similar level: I can see why Moz reintroduced this into his setlist. The guitar form a great tangled net as the song builds to a gently thrilling climax, as the drums pound away and some spacey keys flesh out the atmosphere. Underrated, since it was placed at the end of Bona Drag, but still a magnificent statement of intent.
10/10

Yeah, I'd love to do the Smiths songs A-Z next but would appreciate a short break in between, maybe just a couple of weeks?
A break it is then 😠😠😠

Maybe in between we could have A-Z of Johnnys brilliant solo stuff😉

Tags
morrissey a-z
Back
Top Bottom