Morrissey A-Z: "You Must Please Remember"

A typical Morrissey/Whyte co-write from the time, without the added grit of the Southpaw LP. Some fabulous chord changes, especially when pitted with Alain’s backing vocals, heavenly as always. The rest of the tune is nondescript, save from some Ziggy Stardust-esque chords in the intro. Such was the theme at the time, there are few lyrics, but the ones present serve to paint images of childhood, a recurring theme circa 1994-5. The ending blisters out in another atypical Whyte progression, but, overall, a good song that deserved to remain a b-side.
7/10

A song from a period of transition. Half of it still has the fine elegance of the Boxers and Sunny B-sides and the other half already has the force of Southpaw. It shows again how responsible Alain Whyte was for the recognition value of the sound of that time. I love the piece and like to remember how often I listened to the CD single in August 1995 up and down and pre-release singles still really made me want to buy the whole album. It doesn't matter if the track ended up on the album or was used as a B-side. It had ALL the same quality back then.

A great song, yet it sounds nothing like SG. It’s more brooding, less brawny. Lurking in the shadows, plotting…something, rather than charging head first with clenched fists.

First time I’ve heard this song to be honest, and I won’t be setting off any fireworks about it.
But it ain’t a bad song at all, it’s the poor repetitive lyrics that let it down
I can here tiny snippets of other moz songs just jumping into my ear, but haven’t worked them out just yet.
Guitars sound lovely and flowing throughout.

A little nocturnal wonder, always loved this one. Wish the entire album had a bit more of the dark, despondent atmosphere captured in tracks like this and “Southpaw.”

I love it. Better than the A-side but probably less radio friendly. Deserves a better mix I think. The music reminds me of classic Mott The Hoople type stuff and maybe should have been "bigger" with the vocal mixed into it. It sounds like he's singing along with a tape instead of a band.

always been a favourite of mine,its classic M with a great vocal,lyrically its better than a lot of his songs with some great lines.
best line=a long road,with no turn off.
9 small boys/10 big ideas.

Great track, love it. I think though, out of the 2 versions, I prefer the Miraval demo version, which is stripped, softer & I find quite haunting, whereas the B-side release is more aggressive. Great vocals from Moz regardless; I can have both.

As Phranc & zopen rightly points out, this is a tranition song between the 2 EPs and SG. And that is probably the reasonn why I like this song better than half of the songs.that made it on SG. It has an atmospheric quality to it, a rough nostalgia and ame an old-fashioned sound. Excellent song for a grey autumn morning like today.

As Phranc & zopen rightly points out, this is a tranition song between the 2 EPs and SG. And that is probably the reasonn why I like this song better than half of the songs.that made it on SG. It has an atmospheric quality to it, a rough nostalgia and ame an old-fashioned sound. Excellent song for a grey autumn morning like today.
@Mayfly for Vintage Moz Vice President! Now!
@Verso & @Janice third n fourth.

Last edited:
I haven't heard this many times, because I don't have the single and it's not on Southpaw deluxe for some curious reason. But it's a nice song. Nothing spectacular or exceptional about it, but it's a quality b-side and certainly better than many songs on SG and definitely superior to Fantastic Bird.

Last edited:
Like it a lot. As for many of his songs, I wish he had been less lazy and added more words, because the lyrics suggested an interesting matter.

Morrissey's voice is pleasant, but that's the only positive here.

The music is dull, plodding and weaker than anything on Southpaw Grammar.

The lyrics are so vague as to be meaningless, and they sound largely like a bunch of cliches randomly thrown together. It also feels desperately stretched out to 4 minutes as, once again, Morrissey hadn't written enough words to form a song.

For once, his judgement was right in excluding it from the reissue.

In the poll on the Hoffman board it ranked 244th from 264 solo songs.

Always loved it.

Given how often Morrissey uses the line “you must please remember” as a heading to posts on the official site, I’m surprised at how obscure the track is. Why’s he kept it tucked away on that single and nowhere else?

It's damning with faint praise but this is way better than pretty much everything on Southpaw Grammar. A sturdy tune and evocative, haunting lyrics beautifully sung with some really great harmonies in the final minute or so courtesy, presumably, of Mr Alain Gordon Whyte. Really looking forward to some more Morrissey/Whyte harmonies if and when we get to hear the fruits of their renewed songwriting partnership.

Last edited:
Tags
morrissey a-z
Back
Top Bottom