Morrissey and glam rock

chris

70s glam was one of mozzer's first big musical loves. bolan, early bowie, roxy music etc. how do you think he incorporated glam into his own music? is the influence there?with the smiths, his lyrics were always tagged as 'northern'. the shelagh delaney influence was always played up- grim, kitchen sink type stuff. that seems completely antithetical to glam.

Well, Panic, Sheila, I Started Something... all spring to mind with The Smiths. "Strangeways..." has something of an early Bowie feel to me. And obviously there's "Your Arsenal" in the solo years.

umm, older people than me can back me up on this :rolleyes:
but uhh, how shall I put this? :confused: I am pretty sure 70s "Glam Rock"* was all about creating a safe enviorment for people to express whatever degree of gayness** they might have :thumb: sometimes briefly
so Morrissey's interest in such seems obvious don't it? :blushing:
also, a lot of those bands you listed were pretty effin rad for back then :guitar:

*= As opposed to "80s glam rock" which was about homophobic young men dressing up in make-up and likely beating up gay guys or at least ones they percived as being gay. :cool:
Also, strangely their music is commonly referred to now as "butt rock" :eek:
**=in the 70s "gayness" included such stars like the then bi-sexual David Bowie, remember this was before the gender indenty wars of the 80s had begun...

Last edited:
This sounds a lot like Will Never Marry to me:

Last edited by a moderator:
umm, older people than me can back me up on this :rolleyes:
but uhh, how shall I put this? :confused: I am pretty sure 70s "Glam Rock"* was all about creating a safe enviorment for people to express whatever degree of gayness** they might have :thumb: sometimes briefly
so Morrissey's interest in such seems obvious don't it? :blushing:
also, a lot of those bands you listed were pretty effin rad for back then :guitar:

*= As opposed to "80s glam rock" which was about homophobic young men dressing up in make-up and likely beating up gay guys or at least ones they percived as being gay. :cool:Also, strangely their music is commonly referred to now as "butt rock" :eek:
**=in the 70s "gayness" included such stars like the then bi-sexual David Bowie, remember this was before the gender indenty wars of the 80s had begun...

such as.?

such as.?
Well, Mötley Crüe for one, if you see their VH1 "where are they now?" thingie, some of them get very defensive after being asked a question concerning their wearing make up.
They go and on about not being gay at all & how they would beat up dudes who hit one them or something. :rolleyes:
Also, I rememer hearing similar crap out of the guy from Poison's mouth, cannot remember exactly what though :confused:
its been years since I even knew people into music like that :thumb:

Back
Top Bottom