Morrissey and his mindset going into these Vegas shows

The preying on his male fans was actually m.j. preying on Morrissey! Old news ! The case was settled in favor of the accuser..again. "And the scales of justice sway one way...on and on......

I think there’s a certain headspace singers need when onstage and that events can make that harder to attain. I don’t know if it’ll be the press but I agree that the crowd probably makes a difference along with this being the first show in a while with new people on stage

:straightface:

so far, no Comrade McMuffin limo has been spotted:mad:

🇭🇷>:hammer:

Have you a link to the last part of your comment. I saw what happened with the first part (Madness gig) but have no recollection of any comments implying he was a pervert preying on young males? - And his 90s publicity was actually horrendous in the UK. The NME kept falsely calling him a racist & even implied he was a pervert preying on his male fans.

I included the quotes from the NME 1999 - I'll dig up some more later - but I would have thought 'this man manipulating his easy audience' might be enough of a hint.

Turns out the whole Finsbury Park thing was probably about his sexuality.

Channel 4 broadcast a programme about the gay skinhead scene that included an interview with Nick Crane (who was on one of Morrissey's t-shirts) in July 1992.

The NME's hit piece was in August & echoed the language from the programme.

I'd guess they wanted an interview about his love life.

From the Independent, July 1992:

20210825_223911.jpg

From the NME, August 1992:

20210823_170758.jpg

Nick Crane:

1992 08 22 Morrissey NME 01.jpg

Nick also mentioned Ronnie Kray in an interview with The Sun to promote the C4 show:

20210825_202655.jpg

I included the quotes from the NME 1999 - I'll dig up some more later - but I would have thought 'this man manipulating his easy audience' might be enough of a hint.

Turns out the whole Finsbury Park thing was probably about his sexuality.

Channel 4 broadcast a programme about the gay skinhead scene that included an interview with Nick Crane (who was on one of Morrissey's t-shirts) in July 1992.

The NME's hit piece was in August & echoed the language from the programme.

I'd guess they wanted an interview about his love life.

From the Independent, July 1992:

View attachment 75720

From the NME, August 1992:

View attachment 75721

Nick Crane:

View attachment 75722

Nick also mentioned Ronnie Kray in an interview with The Sun to promote the C4 show:

View attachment 75723

I didn't go to the Finsbury Park gig but attended a fair few of his shows back then and never witnessed anything that could have been considered racist or hitting on his male fans.

I didn't go to the Finsbury Park gig but attended a fair few of his shows back then and never witnessed anything that could have been considered racist or hitting on his male fans.

Yeah - I think it was all press smears.

Garry Bushell wrote this horrific thing 👇 in Sounds, 1983 just to get revenge for a joke Morrissey made about his journalism.

20210826_194750.jpg

Have you a link to the last part of your comment. I saw what happened with the first part (Madness gig) but have no recollection of any comments implying he was a pervert preying on young males? - And his 90s publicity was actually horrendous in the UK. The NME kept falsely calling him a racist & even implied he was a pervert preying on his male fans.
I was around in the 90s. Never did I get the impression that the press were implying the latter, although the music press definitely implied the former.
I did attend a Morrissey gig in Birmingham on kaolin and morphine in 1995. I was 19 about to turn 20.
We were staying at a friend's house over the weekend and everyone else went out into Brum afterwards whilst I stayed in and watched Jurassic Park. At least that's what I told everyone, I can now confirm Morrissey actually came round to the student house in Aston and tucked me into bed with a cup of Horlicks and the People's Friend. In my dreams. And I still recall they were pretty lucid that night

I was around in the 90s. Never did I get the impression that the press were implying the latter, although the music press definitely implied the former.

I did attend a Morrissey gig in Birmingham on kaolin and morphine in 1995. I was 19 about to turn 20.
We were staying at a friend's house over the weekend and everyone else went out into Brum afterwards whilst I stayed in and watched Jurassic Park. At least that's what I told everyone, I can now confirm Morrissey actually came round to the student house in Aston and tucked me into bed with a cup of Horlicks and the People's Friend. In my dreams. And I still recall they were pretty lucid that night

Aston Villa
I can remember that day quite clearly, as though it was yesterday. Saturday night in Aston😄

Yes I remember that, it had zero negative impact on their career at the time.

It won't have been zero - it will have struck them off a few booking lists, which won't have helped airplay or sales, as well as leaving an unpleasant question mark over them.

It won't have been zero - it will have struck them off a few booking lists, which won't have helped airplay or sales, as well as leaving an unpleasant question mark over them.

You have to remember that Sounds had very poor circulation at the time, so not many people actually saw the shite that he wrote. Look at how their career went from strength to strength from when that crap was published. In 83 they were playing to crowds of around 300 to 500, in 84 it was a 1000 to 2500, so no impact at all.

You have to remember that Sounds had very poor circulation at the time, so not many people actually saw the shite that he wrote. Look at how their career went from strength to strength from when that crap was published. In 83 they were playing to crowds of around 300 to 500, in 84 it was a 1000 to 2500, so no impact at all.

Everyone in the industry sees it. And talks about it.

They're a great band, but they never really make it out of Indie.

Aston Villa
I can remember that day quite clearly, as though it was yesterday. Saturday night in Aston😄
Great gig, but f*** me it was hot. Not helped by my kaolin and morphine situation obvs.

Back
Top Bottom