Morrissey and psychedelics?

ThatDan

FWIW, I've been a fan since 1991, have seen ~25 shows over that time, and have been coming to this site since 1997. I rarely venture off the front page though. Has anyone ever read/heard Morrissey talk about psychedelics? Either in general, or his personal use? I haven't, but it seems like he must have some experience with them, no?

FWIW, I've been a fan since 1991, have seen ~25 shows over that time, and have been coming to this site since 1997. I rarely venture off the front page though. Has anyone ever read/heard Morrissey talk about psychedelics? Either in general, or his personal use? I haven't, but it seems like he must have some experience with them, no?

Not that I've noticed. He's mentioned valium, ecstasy, alcohol & weed.

I saw him sniff something on stage, no idea what it was, but he was trying to hide it.

I saw him sniff something on stage, no idea what it was, but he was trying to hide it.
Other than in Something is Squeezing My Skull, I've only ever read/heard him mention drugs once. On stage at Bowery Ballroom 2009 he commented on how the room smelled like weed. Which it did. Would be an interesting thread to list any other mentions?

"Yellow & green, a stumbling block..."
Something that had his attention in '87 & '09.
Probably the strongest psychotropic ever mentioned?
Regards,
FWD.

What is yellow and green referencing?
Several brands of Temazepam packaged the benzo in yellow & green capsules (also green & cream circa late 80's).
Regards,
FWD.

Yeah I only really remember the interesting drug story with ecstasy mentioned

It's an inhaler stick. He keeps several ones in his pockets and uses them whenever he turns around to the drum kit to drink some water. He also plays with them occasionally, holding them like a cigarette.
I was close enough to see that it was probably Olbas.

Attachments

• received_202222057690544.jpeg
    received_202222057690544.jpeg
    23.6 KB · Views: 0
It's an inhaler stick. He keeps several ones in his pockets and uses them whenever he turns around to the drum kit to drink some water. He also plays with them occasionally, holding them like a cigarette.
I was close enough to see that it was probably Olbas.

That makes sense! Thanks.

He took exstacy once and fancied himself in the mirror
Yes, here's his quote about taking ecstasy "a couple of times":

"The first time I took it was the most astonishing moment of my life. Because – and I don’t want to sound truly pathetic – I looked in the mirror and saw somebody very, very attractive. Now, of course, this was the delusion of the drug, and it wears off. But it was astonishing for that hour, or for however long it was, to look into the mirror and really, really like what came back at me."

He's often stated that he's rather pro drugs (at least in the years after The Smiths), even if he might not be taking any himself.
Anyone should take whatever they want as long as it helps them.

Other than in Something is Squeezing My Skull, I've only ever read/heard him mention drugs once. On stage at Bowery Ballroom 2009 he commented on how the room smelled like weed. Which it did. Would be an interesting thread to list any other mentions?
He's commented on weed several times on the last tour. I remember one of the early Canadian dates (I think?) where he said something like "I don't mean to alarm you, but I think I smell weed."
And then later on there was his ramble about "your job in life is to smoke weed and stop watching the news".
I think he was really fascinated by the fact that weed is legal in Canada because he kept mentioning it. ?

"– I looked in the mirror and saw somebody very, very attractive. Now, of course, this was the delusion of the drug, and it wears off. But it was astonishing for that hour, or for however long it was, to look into the mirror and really, really like what came back at me."

He's often stated that he's rather pro drugs (at least in the years after The Smiths), even if he might not be taking any himself.
Anyone should take whatever they want as long as it helps them.

The only delusion experienced is when he’s sober and looks in the mirror and sees himself as unattractive. This is most likely true for most that have a negative self body image.

The drug actually let him see himself for the first time without an ego and all of it’s baggage getting in the way.

What is yellow and green referencing?

There’s a thread on here somewhere about I keep mine hidden, and someone made the interpretation that “yellow & green” was about feeling gutless and inexperienced-

Either that or it was referring to his yellow and green glam pants from teenage years that prohibited anyone from finding him attractive! Lol

I truly can’t imagine Morrissey being into psychedelics at all.

There’s a thread on here somewhere about I keep mine hidden, and someone made the interpretation that “yellow & green” was about feeling gutless and inexperienced-

Either that or it was referring to his yellow and green glam pants from teenage years that prohibited anyone from finding him attractive! Lol

I truly can’t imagine Morrissey being into psychedelics at all.
I think Goddard attributed the quote about "yellow and green" being about Morrissey's temazepam pills to Mike Joyce.
Temazepam is not a "psychedelic drug" per se, it's a sleeping pill.

Morrissey himself has talked about taking various anti-depressants and Andy Rourke also stated that Morrissey would ask him for "sweeties" on tour (probably referring to valium etc.).

So nothing "psychedelic" except for the aforementioned ecstasy.

There's also this story:
"Andy Black has recalled a bizarre story about Morrissey and his alleged refusal to go on stage with anything of the colours yellow and green."
www.nme.com/news/music/andy-black-shares-bizarre-morrissey-story-2485434

The man is a 20-digit combination to unlock.
That doesn't sound very plausible to me.
He's worn green and yellow shirts on stage, even during that period (Sao Paulo 2012 comes to mind). I wouldn't put it past him, though. But I don't think it has any deeper significance.

This combination of shirt and tie he wore in Grado, Italy in 2012 is literally green and yellow.
morrissey-17-945x630.jpg

Has he experimented with weed, you think? To me, he’s like the least weed-y artist there is.

Back
Top Bottom