Morrissey and punk rock

Television plays 11 minute songs proficiently. So it's not PUNK music. They were incredibly influential especially to any late 70s or early 80s musicians so that's not taking anything away from them.

This is good info. I haven't read many early interviews or Morrissey's book to know all of his influences.

I’d call Verlaine and Patti ... Punk Romantic. Coming out of 60’s Rock and French Poets, etc ....

William Burroughs is punk .. Beat
on the punk writer.

:cool:

So what is Bob Dylan to you, folk, folk-rock, rock, country, rap, blues, jazz, swing, pop, reggae, punk, gospel, Mississippi blues, lounge, easy listening?

Siouxsie and the Banshees played Manchester's Electric Circus on 15th of September 1977. The sounded like they did in that clip. Morrissey attended that night and enjoyed them greatly. "what a great punk band" he was heard to say (to himself) as he collected his ear muffs from the cloakroom.

Dylan is punk, a lot of folk and country to me is punk, rebel music,
songs of refusal from dogs off their chain ! ....

Take this Michael Hurley song from 1964, it sounds like something The Ramones could have wrote, of course it would have been much shorter ...

Do you consider Johnny Thunders and the heartbreakers to be punk?
Punk, yes. Punk rock? Probably not. Richard Hell & the Voidoids on the other hand are pure NYC punk rock. Listen to Blank Generation.

It’s like people on this thread cannot fathom that there is a difference between punk and punk rock. I’m not debating that most of the bands mentioned have/had a punk attitude or spirit. But the OP wanted to know what punk rock bands Moz likes to listen to.

Last edited:
The Business

here's the deal, I've lived in China off and on for a decade and I have a sure fire methodology for creating Moz likers now:
1. 70s punk rock proto stuff, anything weird really but with good hooks, Eno helps
2. Elvis videos
3. Smiths, Moz in concert
4. Asian artists mimicking Moz in the Smiths
5. YATQ tracks, preferably live performances but at this point ppl I know want to be certain things usually, I have a vpn, they dont usually
so I spread the gospel by answering requests
amen...

Last edited:
It’s like people on this thread cannot fathom that there is a difference between punk and punk rock.

yes there could be a difference.
But the OP wanted to know what punk rock bands Moz likes to listen to.

though there is a general definition and stereotype of what ‘punk rock’ is, people replying to the
OP may have a different definition of what punk rock is to them.

The OP also did not define what she/he means by ‘punk rock’ and so we could only assume that she/he left that decision up to the person that cares to reply.

If we were to go by the stereotype and your definition of what punk rock is ... then Morrissey doesn’t actually listen to much ‘punk rock’.

Where I feel that a lot of the music that he listened or listens to is punk rock, even though not all of it is aggressive short songs performed by
teens wearing Swastika armbands and funny hair.

The Nosebleeds

In some form.

But I guess he had to listen to them.

yes there could be a difference.

though there is a general definition and stereotype of what ‘punk rock’ is, people replying to the
OP may have a different definition of what punk rock is to them.

The OP also did not define what she/he means by ‘punk rock’ and so we could only assume that she/he left that decision up to the person that cares to reply.

If we were to go by the stereotype and your definition of what punk rock is ... then Morrissey doesn’t actually listen to much ‘punk rock’.

Where I feel that a lot of the music that he listened or listens to is punk rock, even though not all of it is aggressive short songs performed by
teens wearing Swastika armbands and funny hair.
I think there is a prevalent, widespread view of what punk rock is (and has been for 45 years) and I’m pretty certain that that is what the OP was after. Feels a bit silly to claim that punk rock can be just about anything. I don’t think we’re doing OP any favors by replying stuff like “I think Elton John is punk because he’s a bit quirky” or whatever. That’s not what the OP wanted to know. And I think you know this and that you’re just being your ol’ contrary and difficult self.

And no, I don’t think Moz listens to a lot of punk rock. At least not anymore. At least he hasn’t mentioned many ordinary punk rock bands.

I think there is a prevalent, widespread view of what punk rock is (and has been for 45 years)

Yes unfortunately.
and I’m pretty certain that that is what the OP was after.

Maybe so. I was just trying to broaden people’s narrow view of what ‘punk rock’ is and could be.
Feels a bit silly to claim that punk rock can be just about anything.
never said it could be.
I don’t think we’re doing OP any favors by replying stuff like “I think Elton John is punk because he’s a bit quirky” or whatever.

Well it’s obvious Elton could never be punk rock no matter how many pairs of shoes he owns.

Now that I think of it, what does the OP mean by ‘listens to’ ?

He has now and then mentioned new bands that he likes, etc. But when asked if there are any bands or modern music that inspire him, he usually says no.
That’s not what the OP wanted to know.
maybe not.
And I think you know this and that you’re just being your ol’ contrary and difficult self.
:lbf::blushing:
And no, I don’t think Moz listens to a lot of punk rock. At least not anymore. At least he hasn’t mentioned many ordinary punk rock bands.

So what does ‘ordinary punk rock’ sound like compared to extraordinary or just plain ol’ regular punk rock ?

Seem to be saying there’s a difference, so you have different definitions of what punk rock is too.

Dylan is punk, a lot of folk and country to me is punk, rebel music,
songs of refusal from dogs off their chain ! ....

Take this Michael Hurley song from 1964, it sounds like something The Ramones could have wrote, of course it would have been much shorter ...

For a while there, Bob had The Plugz as his backin' band .
Unfortunately, the only time they played live was when
they went onto David Letterman.

First they did a Sonny Boy song.

Then they did License To Kill.

Then it went and wrapped up with Jokerman.

Dave even ask'em if he'd come back and play every Thursday.
Unfortunately, it weren't to be.

So what does ‘ordinary punk rock’ sound like compared to extraordinary or just plain ol’ regular punk rock ?

Seem to be saying there’s a difference, so you have different definitions of what punk rock is too.
What I meant was “plain ol’ regular punk rock”, the prevalent, widespread kind of punk rock we mentioned earlier. But I think you know that as well. Out of those bands, he listens to/have listened to and mentioned Angelic Upstarts, Cockney Rejects, Ramones, Pistols and Generation X, that I can think of. Then there are the proto punk bands like Stooges, Velvets and the Dolls, and the NYC poets/punkish rock’n’rollers like Patti and Blondie.

What I meant was “plain ol’ regular punk rock”, the prevalent, widespread kind of punk rock we mentioned earlier. But I think you know that as well. Out of those bands, he listens to/have listened to and mentioned Angelic Upstarts, Cockney Rejects, Ramones, Pistols and Generation X, that I can think of. Then there are the proto punk bands like Stooges, Velvets and the Dolls, and the NYC poets/punkish rock’n’rollers like Patti and Blondie.

My posts are punk rock too!

:p

But Morrissey doesn’t listen to them. :(

Back
Top Bottom