Morrissey announces new album, 'California Son', for March 2019 - Folha

Via translate:
Morrissey announces new album, 'California Son', for March 2019.
The album will have twelve tracks and was recorded by the same producer of The Strokes and U2.

João Perassolo
João Paulo Martins
SAO PAUILO
Singer-songwriter Morrissey, a former lead singer of the English band The Smiths , first laid out details of their new album, which will be released in March 2019.

In an interview with Folha , the British said that the album will be called "California Son" and will bring twelve songs written by a collection of American composers.

The album was produced by Joe Chicarelli - who has worked with names like The Strokes, U2 and Elton John - and recorded at the famous Sunset Sound studio in Los Angeles. "Joe brought in a lot of new musicians and we experimented with a lot of sounds. Everything went fantastically well and we are proud, "said the singer.
The album will feature the participation of singer Laura Pergolizzi, better known as LP, in two tracks. She has written songs for Rihanna and Christina Aguilera.

In April of this year, Morrissey announced on its website that it had completed recordings of a new single, also at Sunset Sound in Los Angeles.

It's "Back on the Chain Gang," written by Chrissie Hynde and recorded by The Pretenders in 1982. The song, which has been played live by Morrissey since 2017, is likely to be part of the new album.

https://www1.folha.uol.com.br/amp/i...disco-california-son-para-marco-de-2019.shtml

Also via Bemparana (same story):
https://www.bemparana.com.br/noticia/morrissey-anuncia-novo-disco-california-son-para-marco-de-2019
And Ricmais (same story):
https://ricmais.com.br/sc/noticias/morrissey-anuncia-novo-disco-california-son-para-marco-de-2019

You saw it here first with actual credited sources.
Regards,
FWD.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Not that I know of. But he's the sort of person I could imagine him liking, he's quite camp and openly gay and generally faaaabulous. It's not too late, Moz, get him booked up :D

EDITED TO SAY: WAIT! Doesn't this have a tuba/sousaphone on it?? Are we on to something here?? https://www.morrissey-solo.com/thre...taylor-sousaphone-and-joe-chiccarelli.142776/

He is definitely a fan of Loudon Wainwright III. From PJLM ...

Wainwright, Loudon III

• He was praised by Morrissey in at least two letters to the NME editor in 1977.
  • Morrissey quoted from his song "Uptown" in his book "The New York Dolls".
  • He was invited by Morrissey to perform at the Meltdown festival which he curated in 2004. In interview to Time Out magazine at the time, Morrissey said: "Loudon Wainwright is an honoured guest."
  • Morrissey mentions in his autobiography to have come up with the name T-Shirt for a pre-Smiths band (now incorrectly referred to as the Nosebleeds) through that of a Loudon Wainwright album.

[video]

Wainwright, Loudon III

• He was praised by Morrissey in at least two letters to the NME editor in 1977.
  • He was invited by Morrissey to perform at the Meltdown festival which he curated in 2004. In interview to Time Out magazine at the time, Morrissey said: "Loudon Wainwright is an honoured guest."
  • Morrissey mentions in his autobiography to have come up with the name T-Shirt for a pre-Smiths band (now incorrectly referred to as the Nosebleeds) through that of a Loudon Wainwright album.

[video]

Wow impressed by your knowledge

Last edited:
Elvis didn't have a shit band
IMG_20181026_124835.jpg

Wainwright, Loudon III

[video]

I knew he was a fan but I didn't realise Loudon played Meltdown. I'd be absolutely made up if he covered a Loudon song. Another true original and brilliant lyricist.

Moz couldn't be bothered to write new material for this.
Next up will be either an album of Christmas classics or Motown classics...
It says "American composers" not "a cover album of song s by american composer" nothing in this indicates that Moz didn't write songs himself too! He mentions a lot of new musicians etc... Why are you whining about something you have not even heard yet!

Morrissey should cover Home Sick by The Cure not that it would ever happen also on a seperate note Unmade by Thom Yorke on the Susperia soundtrack sounds like asleep have a listen and compare the two

It says "American composers" not "a cover album of song s by american composer" nothing in this indicates that Moz didn't write songs himself too! He mentions a lot of new musicians etc... Why are you whining about something you have not even heard yet!

Maybe it's a double album? The 10 or so songs that were recorded around the time of LIHS and a bunch of new covers...

Wow impressed by your knowledge
Undeserved. Anon just pasted the info from passionsjustlikemine.com . There's a list of all of the artists he ever liked ant the times he commented on them. It really is a gold mine.

I thought Aerosmith came from Boston, and Bon Jovi from New Jersey, but it is hard to reason with crazy.

Reckon too right bloomin' onion m8. It's directed to the jealous sexually frustrated wackos from New Youuuuuurawk and Baaaaaaaaston popping up here lately acting like foreigners being all jealous of people from Moz Angeles who get 4 Air Morrissey concerts in 2 weeks in So-Cal while they pray and hope that Uncle Steve will come back to their backwards town one day inn nnn nnn nn n n n din't in n it.

It started with Morrissey via Infobae:
"Well, just yesterday I started recording what will be my new album: it will be entirely covers and with 12 songs. So you see: I'm already doing what many say I would never do!"

Whilst people were discussing if Moz was joking, Jesse then said similar:

44110_20180829_184532.jpg

The latest interview adds the title to pretty much what was known already including the 2 out of 12 tracks we possibly know are on it: Chain Gang (maybe) & It Happens Every Time (pretty certain).
As for how much of an American composer tribute this is, well that assumes the translated article is spot on - something not always true.
It may have no theme other than the composers came from the States and he likes them. Neither Chrissie or Tim are synonymous with California really are they?
I'd also not pin any hopes on Interlude-style duets with LP, it's just as likely he utilises their voice in the background like the majority of other voices to ever feature in his work. It would be nice, but it's entirely possible that LP ends up playing a KY/KM/MMO role - let's hope for something different.
If we know anything - it's that he's probably going to throw some curve balls in with 'safe' choices. I'd suggest saving the typing energy and back and forthing until the tracklisting is known.
Information is creeping out slowly and this will be one of the first places to share it.
Regards,
FWD.

Blikey wacker thick c*** mate. In calling the album California Son, Air Morrissey is referencing himself. You people think this is going to be a Beach Boys tribute? The Ramones ripped off The Rivieras anyways with California SUN not SON. Me reckon Aunt Nancy mentioned the title to him after they finished f***ing and were eating Aunt Nancy's famous spaghetti with marinara sauce and chocolate chip cookies for desert all sweaty on the sun deck looking at their view of the Pacific mate inn n nn n n din't inn n it. Aunt Nancy's California Girl album is a great album with songs about California that Uncle Steve has always had on his playlist. You can hear the similarities in Aunt Nancy's version of Hotel California to "I'm not Sorry" and "How are things in California" to "throwing my arms around Paris"

'twelve songs written by a collection of American composers.' So it's a covers album. Of songs by American composers. None of whom will be Morrissey, since he is not American.

'twelve songs written by a collection of American composers.' So it's a covers album. Of songs by American composers. None of whom will be Morrissey, since he is not American.

And neither is he a composer. He hasn't composed a note of music in his life. He has to work with musicians to a) write the music and ) b play it. It's a bit ridiculous calling him a songwriter, but 'composer' would be effing bonkers.

Tags
california son info

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom