Morrissey attacks 'blustering jingoism' of Olympic Games - Guardian 6 August

I wonder if Morrissey thought these comments to TTY would actually get much media traction. There's going to come a point when the media just don't bother making a fuss over it. I'm only saying that because people seem to think Morrissey was trying to attention seek or troll or attention whore when he only posted it on what seems to me to constitute the nearest thing to an official Morrissey website merely for his own fans to read as opposed to an actual press release kinda thing. I personaly don't care that much what Morrissey says...only what he sings!:)

I wonder if Morrissey thought these comments to TTY would actually get much media traction. There's going to come a point when the media just don't bother making a fuss over it. I'm only saying that because people seem to think Morrissey was trying to attention seek or troll or attention whore when he only posted it on what seems to me to constitute the nearest thing to an official Morrissey website merely for his own fans to read as opposed to an actual press release kinda thing. I personaly don't care that much what Morrissey says...only what he sings!:)

This is a good point. I'm sure Morrissey realizes that when he publishes remarks on TTY, he's most likely going to have it picked up by news agencies if he says anything controversial. I don't think he's so naive as to assume he's writing to 13 buck-toothed girls in Luxembourg. He knows there are web-scouring interns (or journalists...or interns...or journalists...hard to say anymore) at the various papers who will hear about his remarks and quote them. On the other hand, he has said many things on TTY which have gone unnoticed, so it's not entirely clear to me that his statements are deliberate attempts to lob TNT into the laps of the royal family or whatever. Some of the posts in this thread, and the thread about re-issues, make me think that Morrissey's fans believe him to be a much more conniving, cynical, Machiavellian figure than he really is.

Sarno: So, are you the brains of the outfit or is he?
Longbaugh: Tell you the truth, I don't think this is a brains kind of operation.

- The Way of the Gun

.... He knows there are web-scouring interns (or journalists...or interns...or journalists...hard to say anymore) at the various papers who will hear about his remarks and quote them. On the other hand, he has said many things on TTY which have gone unnoticed, so it's not entirely clear to me that his statements are deliberate attempts to lob TNT into the laps of the royal family or whatever. Some of the posts in this thread, and the thread about re-issues, make me think that Morrissey's fans believe him to be a much more conniving, cynical, Machiavellian figure than he really is.

You don't any intern/journo scouring the web, you just set up an RSS newsfeed and anything TTY posts pops up in The Guardian newsroom and anywhere else monitoring that site.

http://true-to-you.net/morrissey_news_feed

Some stuff goes unnoticed cuz it's.....not....really...that..interesting. He knows that trolling the Royals/Olympics will get him media face time. I've no idea if Susan Blond gets to see this stuff before Julia bangs it out, or if she also suddenly has a 'WTF!' moment when crazy shit like this pops up on her smartphone at the gym. :crazy:Moz probably does think he's Machiavellian and the Guardian picking it up is totally LOL! But I doubt he reads the comments beneath their article or the comments here. I doubt there's anyone around him who'll risk their position to tell-it-like-it-T.I.S, hence the car-crash continues....

He thinks it's this:

radical.jpg

he doesn't realise most people think it's this:

moz troll do not feed.jpg

regards

Morrissey is complaining about jingoism.

Didn't siouxsie sioux had a run in with moz because she had this opinion about him?

my god, the "new troll" :rolleyes: BrummieBoy is given free reign to go after even Worm? :eek:
nothing is sacred here :tears:
as for the topic at hand, "jingoism" and "sports"
I come from both a military and sports background, though both long ago now :o
and for me at least, something like the Olympics represent a proper channeling of aggression rather than a glorifying of a warlike nationalism :straightface:
more specifically, its pretty obvious, at least to me, that Morrissey only says most of this shit because he has been left out :squiffy:
had he been invited to take part, he would be playing a completely different tune :cool:

Didn't siouxsie sioux had a run in with moz because she had this opinion about him?

My uncle used to play bongos and read the Morning Star, now he thinks Islamic schools are training centres for terrorists.

I'm pretty certain people are allowed to change their views over 20 years.

The BBC have now informed me that we may wellregard this Olympics as a defining moment in our history. Like 1966 and the death of Diana.

I wonder if Morrissey was watching BBC1 on Friday 3rd August prior to releasing his statement. I was, was so happy to hear the younger Royals take on the Games. From their front-row seats, surrounded by rows of empty seats which those of us who paid for the Games infrastructures could actually use.

For most folks in this country the Olympics is something that's on when you turn on the telly. And goes off again when you turn it off.

Go Team GB

The BBC have now informed me that we may wellregard this Olympics as a defining moment in our history. Like 1966 and the death of Diana.

Heh, yeah, exactly like them: Two events that are irrelevant to British history and says nothing meaningful whatsoever about British society. I can understand it when small, insignificant countries (such as my own) derive collective meaning from sporting triumphs, but you'd think a country like Britain could avoid making do with such desperate crutches. The infatuation with Diana and her pointless and trivial death is to me an absolute mystery. How can anyone regard that as "a defining moment in our history"? Why, what does it define? Your vulnerability to drunken chauffeurs? The extent of people's capacity for arbitrary sentimentality? The unconditional surrender to the gutter press' stranglehold on the national imagination? The pervasiveness of the Sissi syndrome?

Frankly I'm hard put to find anything very important at stake here, one way or the other. The Olympics, while phenomenally boring, doesn't do any harm , nor does attempting to turn it into a positive national experience. As long as people don't get so carried away by the hype that they go out and do something really stupid, like voting against membership in the European Union. Which, er, is what Norwegians did after the Lillehammer Olympics. Right, just forget about that. Reality of course fails to live up to the image of "multicultural Britain" the games attempt to celebrate, but it does actually help that effort to try and build a positive image that people can relate to. It's a process, after all, and things aren't likely to improve by leaving Mr and Mrs Smith in their everyday natural state of being firmly convinced that multiculturality just equals problems. And what Morrissey says is as so often an ambivalent mixture of absolutely right and absolute bollocks, isn't very surprising and is neither very destructive nor very useful.

I'm looking moderately forward to the whole thing ending, so that this source of mild annoyance will disappear and hnce infinitesimally improve my life. :)

Last edited:
Heh, yeah, exactly like them: Two events that are irrelevant to British history and says nothing meaningful whatsoever about British society. I can understand it when small, insignificant countries (such as my own) derive collective meaning from sporting triumphs, but you'd think a country like Britain could avoid making do with such desperate crutches. The infatuation with Diana and her pointless and trivial death is to me an absolute mystery. How can anyone regard that as "a defining moment in our history"? Why, what does it define? Your vulnerability to drunken chauffeurs? The extent of people's capacity for arbitrary sentimentality? The unconditional surrender to the gutter press' stranglehold on the national imagination? The pervasiveness of the Sissi syndrome?

Frankly I'm hard put to find anything very important at stake here, one way or the other. The Olympics, while phenomenally boring, doesn't do any harm , nor does attempting to turn it into a positive national experience. As long as people don't get so carried away by the hype that they go out and do something really stupid, like voting against membership in the European Union. Which, er, is what Norwegians did after the Lillehammer Olympics. Right, just forget about that. Reality of course fails to live up to the image of "multicultural Britain" the games attempt to celebrate, but it does actually help that effort to try and build a positive image that people can relate to. It's a process, after all, and things aren't likely to improve by leaving Mr and Mrs Smith in their everyday natural state of being firmly convinced that multiculturality just equals problems. And what Morrissey says is as so often an ambivalent mixture of absolutely right and absolute bollocks, isn't very surprising and is neither very destructive nor very useful.

I'm looking moderately forward to the whole thing ending, so that this source of mild annoyance will disappear and hnce improve my life. :)

I've no idea which country you reside in or why you think it is 'insignificant'. You mention Norway. It's possible you're Norwegian because your English Language writing is excellent. Norwary is hardly 'insignificant' culturally. However, like Morrissey, you are a foreigner and your inability to understand the historical complexity and contemporary innovations of our great nations in these 'Isles Of Wonder' is not unusual. We are usually very tolerant of tourists unless they cross the line.......

No one else is discussing the late Princess Diana. Why are you? There's no comparison between the emotional meltdown on her death and this wonderful and unexpected national emotional catharsis.

You are confusing 'multicultural division' with 'Unity through Diversity'. Diversity is not the same as Mulitculturalism. A common error, one I used to make myself. Study further and you'll gain some clarity.

Why is the Olympics annoying you? Do you were in some environment where you are forced to watch it as part of your duties? Are you working in a bar showing the events? If not, surely no-one is forcing you to pay attention to it? If something is a 'mild annoyance' then its' removal cannot 'infinitesimally' improve your life. That's the kind of bad writing that Moz excells in as the latest 'it is lethal to witness' lol! nonsense.

This Olympics is an extraordinarily significant cultural event as the victories of atheletes who represent the complex Diversity of post-modern, post-colonial Britain have simply vapourised the attempts to detour discussion of multicultural immigration into a right-wing wasteland. Having bottled his battle with the NME for the right to speak his mind on excessive, uncontrolled immigration, Morrissey flounders on the sidelines when the views he expressed in that battle are vindicated. He's no racist, he's just another cultural agent-provocateur/troll: take your pick.

On stage in Manchester he said something like "today's lesson is that we are all part of a minority". The Olympics has shown that minorities can unify through sport. Strength through Diversity. It's not the same as alienation through multiculturalism. Morrissey could re-invent his music to reflect his worldwide journey this year to mirror accurately reflect modern Britain. But he won't, because he can't, because he simply isn't up to the challenge. And he's no longer appears to be a tax-paying resident of this country, so his ex-pat ramblings are ever so slightly 'off-topic'.

If you think the Olympics are irrelevant, then you clearly didn't see the Saudi woman in the judo. It's one of the most important things to have happened since 9/11 and 7/7.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...father-sue-insults-Twitter-Olympic-debut.html

regards

ps: note to Trolls. still can't find the 'spell-checker'. Sharon's shopping. Don't bother.

I've no idea which country you reside in or why you think it is 'insignificant'. You mention Norway. It's possible you're Norwegian because your English Language writing is excellent. Norwary is hardly 'insignificant' culturally. However, like Morrissey, you are a foreigner and your inability to understand the historical complexity and contemporary innovations of our great nations in these 'Isles Of Wonder' is not unusual. We are usually very tolerant of tourists unless they cross the line.......

No one else is discussing the late Princess Diana. Why are you? There's no comparison between the emotional meltdown on her death and this wonderful and unexpected national emotional catharsis.

You are confusing 'multicultural division' with 'Unity through Diversity'. Diversity is not the same as Mulitculturalism. A common error, one I used to make myself. Study further and you'll gain some clarity.

Why is the Olympics annoying you? Do you were in some environment where you are forced to watch it as part of your duties? Are you working in a bar showing the events? If not, surely no-one is forcing you to pay attention to it? If something is a 'mild annoyance' then its' removal cannot 'infinitesimally' improve your life. That's the kind of bad writing that Moz excells in as the latest 'it is lethal to witness' lol! nonsense.

This Olympics is an extraordinarily significant cultural event as the victories of atheletes who represent the complex Diversity of post-modern, post-colonial Britain have simply vapourised the attempts to detour discussion of multicultural immigration into a right-wing wasteland. Having bottled his battle with the NME for the right to speak his mind on excessive, uncontrolled immigration, Morrissey flounders on the sidelines when the views he expressed in that battle are vindicated. He's no racist, he's just another cultural agent-provocateur/troll: take your pick.

On stage in Manchester he said something like "today's lesson is that we are all part of a minority". The Olympics has shown that minorities can unify through sport. Strength through Diversity. It's not the same as alienation through multiculturalism. Morrissey could re-invent his music to reflect his worldwide journey this year to mirror accurately reflect modern Britain. But he won't, because he can't, because he simply isn't up to the challenge. And he's no longer appears to be a tax-paying resident of this country, so his ex-pat ramblings are ever so slightly 'off-topic'.

If you think the Olympics are irrelevant, then you clearly didn't see the Saudi woman in the judo. It's one of the most important things to have happened since 9/11 and 7/7.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...father-sue-insults-Twitter-Olympic-debut.html

regards

ps: note to Trolls. still can't find the 'spell-checker'. Sharon's shopping. Don't bother.

Diana's death was brought up as "a defining moment" for the British nation in the quote I responded to.

" The Olympics has shown that minorities can unify through sport". Have they? For those who missed that lesson back when Daley Thompson was a national hero, or by watching any England football side during the past 30 years?

But as said, there's no harm in providing a positive image that people can relate to, although it probably makes no major difference one way or the other. If you prefer being more enthusiastic about it than I am, go ahead.

my god, the "new troll" :rolleyes: as for the topic at hand, "jingoism" and "sports" I come from both a military and sports background, though both long ago now :o
and for me at least, something like the Olympics represent a proper channeling of aggression rather than a glorifying of a warlike nationalism :straightface:
more specifically, its pretty obvious, at least to me, that Morrissey only says most of this shit because he has been left out :squiffy:
had he been invited to take part, he would be playing a completely different tune

Yeah, 'new troll on the block', with an Uzi and big, swinging dick. Bubba's gonna bring order to this penitentiary. Deal with it. :straightface:Had to edit your smilies in quote to fit in mine.

You're so 'on-topic':

'The Olympics is rapidly becoming a proxy war of sorts... hardly a surprising development given the countries involved. "Olympic sport is part of the culture war," Chinese sports executive Wei Jizhong told the Denver Post, "In the culture war between China and the U.S., in the culture part, China is very weak. USA always is leading. In culture, you have theater, music; China cannot win. The only way China can compete with the USA is sports." '

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/articles/369069/20120801/london-2012-olympics-shiwen-ye-drugs-cheating.htm

Sport. Culture. Economic Trade. s'all the same. 'Economics is War by other Methods' Sun Tzu.Von Clausewitz: I'm sure Morrissey read widely on this topic....'rollseyes'

Morrissey has always had issues with 'authentic masculinity', hence his boxing gangster 'bad boyz' Rollins groupie stuff. It's hard for a boy to become a man if his relationship with his Dad is troubled. I ain't hatin' on Moz here, I think that he was incredibly brave to 'come out' as troubled about this stuff in an era when to do so was to risk complete ridicule and ostracisation. And he did it initially in such a subtle way. But it's not 1983 anymore.....His concerts have always been a 'catharsis' for troubled males working through this stuff as much as they've been anything else. Kind of like a 'sweat shop' or 'firewalk' 'Iron John' workshop for emo dweebs and ex-jock gym steroid tattoo casualties. I think the fixation on Moz's 'sexuality' is misplaced and no-one's business anyway. He's 'homosocial'. Obsessed with other men because he had a scary time walking that bridge from a boy to a man. In that, he's not alone and that's why so many teenage boys flock to him on their 'journey'. He was so cool when he was a young'un.

Moz can't accept there's a place for Zeus Energy, "male authority accepted for the sake of the community." Imagine him at 'boot camp' ?ROFLOL! Great programme here in Blighty on Generation Trash being put through 50s military induction:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lads'_Army

The Queen should take over, round up all these wacko 'pop stars' and give them a few weeks on Dartmoor with a 50s drill sergeant. Moz drones on about his nostalgia for when Britain was a 'simpler' place but he wouldn't have liked National Service or hazing rituals. Or maybe he would get a boner out of it...

Sergeant BrummieBoy introduces Mozzer to 'intellectual boot camp'

brummieboy moz boot camp images.jpg

Moz is pretty 'confused' about the whole 'jinogism/nationalism' thing. The miraculous Olympic opening ceremony brilliantly showed how our brave ancestors sacrificed their lives in wars so we could all have the freedom to waste our lives partyin and txtin to Dizzee Rascal and the Arctic Mondays! #NBCFail! meant our American friends missed most of it due to censorship.

I'm proud of this country. I'm proud of our armed forces even if I disagree with some deployments. Our Royal Family are a basket case motley crue of 'mental patients' who need to pay their way. They won the sperm wars and they need to provide the taxpayer with a business plan and profitability model. But in times of war and peril, our nation has looked to them for continuity and a belief in our historical ability to morph and change no matter what. When the Olympics is over, the debt-deficit shit storm will return with a vengeance. Our health service will change/collapse but we won't go back to Dickensian squalor to pander to the neoliberal elite. We're Two Tribes and it goes way back before Tories and Labour. We're Norman and Saxon. Celt and Viking. And now we're Brick Lane Bengali, Southall Singh and Shadwell Somali.

'Somali in platforms'? A Somali in trainers winning 10,000metres has irrevocably answered the dubious questions Moz raised. He hasn't addressed that, has he? "Look mate, this is my country".

http://www.newstatesman.com/blogs/politics/2012/08/how-mo-farah-rejected-plastic-brit-charge

A red-hair SWM, a mixed-race woman and a immigrant black man: 3 golds. Super-Saturday. The 'opening ceremony' set out the script, the Brits have stepped up to the plate in an extraordinary outburst of cultural pride and optimism. The 'bad people on the Right' are simply stunned and crushed. It's like Les Bleus World Cup 'soccer' triumps set back Le Pen for a decade. We'll see the same effect here.

And what does Morrissey do? He trolls one of the most surprising and unexpected events in modern British cultural history. He's becoming an annoying prat / laughing stock. For me, he's a 'research topic' on the delusions of 'fame' and it's collapse under Web 2.0. But I carry a lot of residual emotional memories in my heart for a time when he balanced trolling the Royals and the Establishment with actual cutting edge Art. He could fess up and say 'geez, guys! did i fc-uk up on this one'. But he won't because he can't. Saying 'sorry' requires emotional strength and healthy psychological feeback. I'm surrounded by people who give me that and don't take any shit when I goof it. Moz is like bad Royalty, he cuckoos the first part of their motto whilst not having the Brit stiff upper lip chops for the latter part: 'Never complain. Never explain'

Think of Tom Cruise, surrounded by goldiggers and enablers, no one can ROFLOL! or 'corpse' him when he talks crazy shit. I wonder how far Morrissey is in that kind of scenario..........

You keep fighting, dude. It's just the battlefield that changes. Help your comrades stricken with PTSD/TBI if you can. It's an honour to serve your country if your country is honourably ruled. Sometimes both our countries get that wrong, acting alone or in concert. Mozs' lazy trolling of The Royals, The Falklands and The Olympics is profoundly ignorant and disrespectful and exhibits nothing but a failure to use the time his wealth has bought him to plug the gaps in his education. He wouldn't talk shit like that if he was in any pub I was in. Seriously.

Hey, you got pics of you at Fort Hood, buff and in your prime? :horny: grunt/pougue? Lol!;) Now dont holla back at me with no uppity shit, boy or I'll be on your ass before you can say 'Sweet Jeebus!'An you rilly don't want end of in the same cell as me'n' !VivaHate!....where is that dude anyway? If he wants to live, he's on a Greyhound now gettin the fc-uk out of Dodge...[straightface]

regards

BubbaBoy

bubba cell mate.jpg

Diana's death was brought up as "a defining moment" for the British nation in the quote I responded to.

" The Olympics has shown that minorities can unify through sport". Have they? For those who missed that lesson back when Daley Thompson was a national hero, or by watching any England football side during the past 30 years?

But as said, there's no harm in providing a positive image that people can relate to, although it probably makes no major difference one way or the other. If you prefer being more enthusiastic about it than I am, go ahead.

Your point about Daley and footie is good. But it's a Sisyphus thing. We gotta keep pushin at this no matter what.

Hey, I'm cool. You're cool. We're cool.
Thanks for sharing your views.:thumb:

regards

Morrissey isn't complaining about 'jingoism' as he doesn't seem to know what it is, unless he's on some real acid trip about the games being linked to his crazy Malvinas Meme. :crazy:

'Siouxsie and Morrissey had a disagreement! You see, at the time, Morrissey was neck-deep in his fixation with the Union Jack and was intermittently having charges of racism flung at him for provocative songs like “Bengali in Platforms,” “The National Front Disco,” and “Asian Rut.” Apparently he wanted to use a bulldog as the central image for the promotional video. (Translation for American readers: this would be like Eddie Rabbit and Crystal Gale choosing to shoot a video for their song “You and I” in which they walk lovingly down a beach brandishing a rebel flag. You know, kind of.) This is where Siouxsie, who became infamous in her early punk rock fetish-wear days for wearing a swastika armband and had no desire to revisit that type of silliness, drew the line.

“The original video idea,” Siouxsie said, “was to show Ruth Ellis being led to the gallows, which I loved, but which didn’t happen. Instead he wanted a bulldog, which I didn’t understand. Why a bulldog? So I questioned him about his pro-British thing and told him I couldn’t have that. I said, ‘pick another dog, like a chihuahua or something. A monkey, anything!’ . . . I don’t know why he wanted to stick to his guns so much. And no, we’ve not spoken since.”

OMG, Siouxsie and Morrissey hate each other that’s so hot!! '

http://www.thenervousbreakdown.com/...issey-and-the-collaboration-that-time-forgot/

Siouxsie was :confused: Moz got all :mad: cuz she call it right 'n' kicked the :crazy: troll to the kerb. He was, like :tears: pissed cuz she said WTF has this

bulldog.jpg

have to do with Youro's doomed diva fest? Absolutely nothing except another excuse to troll on.

regards

I just watched the Triathlon. Now that was awe-inspiring. However I'm more concerned about Kevin Pietersen, England's greatest and most entertaining batsman retiring from international Test Match cricket. And he's South African.

Incidentally although GBR & NI's medal tally is impressive the track and field athletes are spectacularly failing to carry on the wonder of Saturday night. Along with swimming these are two of the more 'accessible' participatory sports in the Olympics and Team GB, for all our rowing, cycling and equestrian endeavours, are not meeting the required standards that will set this much vaunted legacy. The failure of competitors who were expected to medal not even getting to the finals is another great unspoken story. No representation in the 100m final for the first time in my nigh on 40 years is another unreported facet of our Olympics.

If we're going to laud our successes we should also be able to critique our failures.

This story is all over the place now, with the headline mutated to 'Morrissey compares Britiain to Nazi Germany'. Thanks a lot Guardian you cockends.

Back
Top Bottom