Morrissey BANNED staff at Alexandra Palace gig from wearing leather or fur - Express.co.uk

Link posted by Famous when dead in the Alexandra Palace post-show thread (original post):

Morrissey BANNED staff at Alexandra Palace gig from wearing leather or fur - Express.co.uk
HE'S BEEN known to walk off stage in protest because meat was being cooked in the vicinity and it seems Morrissey hasn't mellowed with age and softened his stance towards meat eaters, or even wearers of animal products!

By JACK TEAGUE WITH DOMINIQUE HINES
PUBLISHED: 11:33, Mon, Mar 12, 2018 | UPDATED: 12:02, Mon, Mar 12, 2018

Sources at his London gig at Alexandra Palace on Friday told us staff weren't permitted to wear leather on direct orders from the former Smiths frontman.

"There's no meat for sale in the venue at all, which isn't that unusual for a Morrissey gig," Day & Night - who were in the audience - were reliably informed by a definitely not leather-clad lady.

"But none of the workers are allowed to wear any kind of fur or even leather this evening," she added.

"I thought they were joking but no, it's serious. I was going to wear a faux fur coat but I really didn't want to run the risk of having to prove it wasn't real before being let in. I'm not even wearing a belt because of it!"

To be fair to the 58-year-old former gladioli swinger, perhaps his decision to turn temporarily the birthplace of British television into a meat-free zone did have a calming effect of sorts.

Concertgoers were at least spared the kind of anti-Nicola Sturgeon rant which saw many stream for the exits at his gig in Glasgow last month.

Post-show discussions this time seemed to centre on what good form Morrissey and his voice were in.

And what filling they'd had in their vegan pies of course!

42571_Morrissey-930521.jpg

I remember drinking ale at the bar.

It was London Pride or something similar, which I don't think is vegan.

Wonder did Moz know? :confused:

If true, what a bleedin' circus. Not sure where the monstrous self-righteousness comes from, when it was only a few years ago he was wearing leather himself. I commented on this story on another thread, but I'll repeat here: venue staff are not generally highly paid, and not everyone in that position has a wardrobe full of alternative shoes/belts/coats that meet the uniform/dress code requirements for work (and we can't all afford Stella McCartney). Shitty way to treat the 'little people'. I presume the same restrictions did not apply to paying punters?

His shoes and Doc Martens are leather IMHO, or they made special PVC ones, the Elvis suit he had on, was PVC but that was during the Oye Esteban tour, or maybe 2002/4 not defiately not later.

Well that's just bollocks as most people wear leather shoes. So what did the staff wear instead? Was it like a Sandie Shaw convention behind the bar areas?

The veracity of the report can be questioned by the report of many streaming out of the Glasgow gig which patently did not happen.

By the way I haven't seen many bar staff (or other venue workers) on minimun wage in fur coats. Although occasionally with no knickers depending on what type of establishment I'm in.

Last edited:
If true, what a bleedin' circus. Not sure where the monstrous self-righteousness comes from, when it was only a few years ago he was wearing leather himself. I commented on this story on another thread, but I'll repeat here: venue staff are not generally highly paid, and not everyone in that position has a wardrobe full of alternative shoes/belts/coats that meet the uniform/dress code requirements for work (and we can't all afford Stella McCartney). Shitty way to treat the 'little people'. I presume the same restrictions did not apply to paying punters?
I have to agree. I admire Moz's stance against killing animals and against the whole meat industry, but it doesn't seem right to impose that view on all the staff who work at the concert venues. He certainly doesn't impose it on the paying public, because many would likely refuse to comply. Like you say, some of the staff get paid peanuts and may not have alternative attire. Moz is entitled to his opinion and his attempts to influence public education and opinion through PETA (etc) is to be applauded, but I don't think this is the way to do it.

Then again...... he did get a headline out of it, whether accidentally or not.
It's funny how the writers of articles like this always assume that people love meat and think Moz is barmy: look at the wording below:

HE'S BEEN known to walk off stage in protest because meat was being cooked in the vicinity and it seems Morrissey hasn't mellowed with age and softened his stance towards meat eaters, or even wearers of animal products! - this very sentence makes it clear that the writer thinks this is Moz's problem. I mean how many times has Moz actually walked off stage for this reason? Two or three times out of probably thousands of concerts*?

Ah well at least it ends on a positive note: Post-show discussions this time seemed to centre on what good form Morrissey and his voice were in.

Two asides:
1. I read somewhere recently that a lot of faux fur may not be faux at all, and might come from cats. Euuugh. The news article I mean is available here.
2. * Does anyone know how many concerts Moz has given, with and after The Smiths? The number must be massive!

His shoes and Doc Martens are leather IMHO, or they made special PVC ones, the Elvis suit he had on, was PVC but that was during the Oye Esteban tour, or maybe 2002/4 not defiately not later.
Yes, but that was before he went on Larry King in 2015 making a big performance out of having turned 'vegan' by waving his Stella McCartney shoe.

He doesn’t impose but rather negotiates with the venue and they decide if his show is worth his requests. The venue also gets a nice headline out of it. I don’t know if this is a u.k thing but most people in the u.s don’t ware leather shoes

Uh, really now? Both leather and fur are way more expensive than their substitutes/other types of attire. And why would people who don't get paid well wear it to work anyway?? If you're working at a venue, you'd want to dress comfortably: t-shirt, sneakers etc.

I think it's a great move.

Uh, really now? Both leather and fur are way more expensive than their substitutes/other types of attire. And why would people who don't get paid well wear it to work anyway?? If you're working at a venue, you'd want to dress comfortably: t-shirt, sneakers etc.

I think it's a great move.
No-one is seriously suggesting venue staff all have fur coats stuffed in their wardrobe. The point is, if you haven't got much money you may only have one pair of shoes suitable for work. And if you're working at a venue there is usually a uniform, you can't just wear whatever you (or Morrissey) fancies.

1. I read somewhere recently that a lot of faux fur may not be faux at all, and might come from cats. Euuugh. The news article I mean is available here.

Oh! Many times crossed my mind the idea that those cheap coats from China with a fur border in the cap people wear in the streets of my country during winter looked too real to be fake. Never crossed my mind they could kill cats, but if it's cheaper surely they do it. Better not using any fur at all.
On the other hand, it's time the shoe industry develop a good vegan material to replace leather. It should be reasonably cheap, resistant and healthy at the same time. Now if you find one thing it surely lacks the other. Leather industry kills animals and people too.

He doesn’t impose but rather negotiates with the venue and they decide if his show is worth his requests. The venue also gets a nice headline out of it. I don’t know if this is a u.k thing but most people in the u.s don’t ware leather shoes
I think not.

This obviously didn't apply to the audience, as the woman stood behind me was wearing an obviously real (from the stink) leather coat throughout. They were also selling meat burgers in the Ally Pally after the show - I guess it's pretty hard to police these things, and too late for Moz to cancel the show by then.

Hit the nail on the head, Acton. It wouldn't surprise me if that was the sole reason for doing it.

Glad the animals got a headline out of it.

Morrissey using his platform to give a voice to the voiceless again.

:thumb:

Did he ban himself from wearing the Alexander McQueen Peackock Feather Embellished Cardigan ? Did he perform Our Crank as well :guitar:

Benny-the-British-Butcher :greatbritain::knife:

it's a good way to raise awareness for this issue not just among the venue staff

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom