Morrissey BANNED staff at Alexandra Palace gig from wearing leather or fur - Express.co.uk

Link posted by Famous when dead in the Alexandra Palace post-show thread (original post):

Morrissey BANNED staff at Alexandra Palace gig from wearing leather or fur - Express.co.uk
HE'S BEEN known to walk off stage in protest because meat was being cooked in the vicinity and it seems Morrissey hasn't mellowed with age and softened his stance towards meat eaters, or even wearers of animal products!

By JACK TEAGUE WITH DOMINIQUE HINES
PUBLISHED: 11:33, Mon, Mar 12, 2018 | UPDATED: 12:02, Mon, Mar 12, 2018

Sources at his London gig at Alexandra Palace on Friday told us staff weren't permitted to wear leather on direct orders from the former Smiths frontman.

"There's no meat for sale in the venue at all, which isn't that unusual for a Morrissey gig," Day & Night - who were in the audience - were reliably informed by a definitely not leather-clad lady.

"But none of the workers are allowed to wear any kind of fur or even leather this evening," she added.

"I thought they were joking but no, it's serious. I was going to wear a faux fur coat but I really didn't want to run the risk of having to prove it wasn't real before being let in. I'm not even wearing a belt because of it!"

To be fair to the 58-year-old former gladioli swinger, perhaps his decision to turn temporarily the birthplace of British television into a meat-free zone did have a calming effect of sorts.

Concertgoers were at least spared the kind of anti-Nicola Sturgeon rant which saw many stream for the exits at his gig in Glasgow last month.

Post-show discussions this time seemed to centre on what good form Morrissey and his voice were in.

And what filling they'd had in their vegan pies of course!

42571_Morrissey-930521.jpg

If true, what a bleedin' circus. Not sure where the monstrous self-righteousness comes from, when it was only a few years ago he was wearing leather himself. I commented on this story on another thread, but I'll repeat here: venue staff are not generally highly paid, and not everyone in that position has a wardrobe full of alternative shoes/belts/coats that meet the uniform/dress code requirements for work (and we can't all afford Stella McCartney). Shitty way to treat the 'little people'. I presume the same restrictions did not apply to paying punters?
Only a few years ago? I think your calculator is busted.

I'm going on the fact that he announced in the 2015 Larry King interview that he had recently turned vegan. That's a few years, by my calculator.
Turning to a vegan diet does not mean he switched to faux leather at the same time. You said he was wearing leather a few years ago. I believe you are incorrect. He's been wearing faux leather a lot longer than that.

Turning to a vegan diet does not mean he switched to faux leather at the same time. You said he was wearing leather a few years ago. I believe you are incorrect. He's been wearing faux leather a lot longer than that.
I was going on the fact that at that interview he made a big thing of showing his Stella McCartney shoes. If he was wearing faux leather before then, I stand corrected - it's not an issue that interests me greatly, to be honest. What I don't like is the hypocrisy. There is no doubt he wore actual leather for a great many years while being a vocal vegetarian.

I was going on the fact that at that interview he made a big thing of showing his Stella McCartney shoes. If he was wearing faux leather before then, I stand corrected - it's not an issue that interests me greatly, to be honest. What I don't like is the hypocrisy. There is no doubt he wore actual leather for a great many years while being a vocal vegetarian.
It doesn't keep me up nights either but he has been wearing Stella McCartney's footwear well before that King interview. I don't disagree that he wore leather as a vegetarian. I think a lot of vegetarians alter their activism in stages. There's bound to be some hypocrisy no matter how far you take it. Do you avoid catching a taxi because it has leather seats? Where does it end? I don't know every little detail of what Morrissey wears or eats but his farewell to leather was pre King interview. Exactly how long before? I'll have to check my calculator :)

Re his demands, I don't think it's that difficult to comply to an artist's wishes for their tour is it?

Oh! Many times crossed my mind the idea that those cheap coats from China with a fur border in the cap people wear in the streets of my country during winter looked too real to be fake. Never crossed my mind they could kill cats, but if it's cheaper surely they do it. Better not using any fur at all.
On the other hand, it's time the shoe industry develop a good vegan material to replace leather. It should be reasonably cheap, resistant and healthy at the same time. Now if you find one thing it surely lacks the other. Leather industry kills animals and people too.

One thing is for certain, using authoritarian tactics to try and change people's behavior rarely wins hearts, or minds. If anything, it hardens them. Most people hear this, and think, "Ew, I don't like him."

I believe Morrissey does this for attention. He won't be doing it at every gig. He does it where he can get away with it. Also, I see it as a kind of resentful, moral bullying. Morrissey has always expressed an authoritarian attitude about various topics. I think isolation, and self-absorption often encourages authoritarian thinking because it rewards the thinker's detachment from the general public, or maybe it causes it.

In the end, Morrissey's attitude towards meat eating reminds me of the hyperbolic rhetoric you often hear from anti-abortionists. They equate abortion with murder, yet the peak of their resistance to an ongoing, day in and day out "slaughter" is to complain about it from a distance, and hope laws change.

Populations have fought wars over holocausts and genocides. They've fought wars over famines and slavery.

If that's this is best you can do in response to a holocaust in your midst, then you don't really believe it's murder, and if you don't believe it's murder, stop saying it's murder.

The only logical response to believing that these things are that morally reprehensible, is to resort to violence. For every day you wait, more, and more of these precious souls are being fed into the furnace, and what did you do? You stood by, and called people names. You did so because you know it's not what you say it is.

It doesn't keep me up nights either but he has been wearing Stella McCartney's footwear well before that King interview. I don't disagree that he wore leather as a vegetarian. I think a lot of vegetarians alter their activism in stages. There's bound to be some hypocrisy no matter how far you take it. Do you avoid catching a taxi because it has leather seats? Where does it end? I don't know every little detail of what Morrissey wears or eats but his farewell to leather was pre King interview. Exactly how long before? I'll have to check my calculator :)

Re his demands, I don't think it's that difficult to comply to an artist's wishes for their tour is it?
Well, just because an artist makes a request doesn't mean they'll escape judgement.

Some requests are spiteful, and absurd.

You have to admit, it's just a very bourgeois thing to do to a working classing staff.

Remember when Morrissey claimed that he didn't wear leather shoes because he thought they looked silly?

For most of Morrissey's life, he prioritized fashion over "murder." Now, he's using it as a a moral cudgel to control others, and appear righteous.

Morrissey has ample sympathy for his own moral failures, but almost none for the moral failures of others.

Yep, BPD. Classic case. Sign him in.

Well, just because an artist makes a request doesn't mean they'll escape judgement.

Some requests are spiteful, and absurd.

You have to admit, it's just a very bourgeois thing to do to a working classing staff.

So is being offended for them

I was wearing Hugh Clark on the night and see where it got me.

It's not difficult at all. It's just a condition, and a sensible one.

So is being offended for them

Maybe, but yours is also a very bourgois response to something being called bourgois. We could do this all day.

I don't think it's so much an offense, but more of an acknowledgment that it's a futile strategy that makes him look like an aristocrat, and not a moral champion.

No animal was saved from the dictate, and I doubt any hearts were won by it. Why would they be?

At some point, substance should take the lead. Image isn't everything.

One thing is for certain, using authoritarian tactics to try and change people's behavior rarely wins hearts, or minds. If anything, it hardens them. Most people hear this, and think, "Ew, I don't like him."

I believe Morrissey does this for attention. He won't be doing it at every gig. He does it where he can get away with it. Also, I see it as a kind of resentful, moral bullying. Morrissey has always expressed an authoritarian attitude about various topics. I think isolation, and self-absorption often encourages authoritarian thinking because it rewards the thinker's detachment from the general public, or maybe it causes it.

In the end, Morrissey's attitude towards meat eating reminds me of the hyperbolic rhetoric you often hear from anti-abortionists. They equate abortion with murder, yet the peak of their resistance to an ongoing, day in and day out "slaughter" is to complain about it from a distance, and hope laws change.

Populations have fought wars over holocausts and genocides. They've fought wars over famines and slavery.

If that's this is best you can do in response to a holocaust in your midst, then you don't really believe it's murder, and if you don't believe it's murder, stop saying it's murder.

The only logical response to believing that these things are that morally reprehensible, is to resort to violence. For every day you wait, more, and more of these precious souls are being fed into the furnace, and what did you do? You stood by, and called people names. You did so because you know it's not what you say it is.

What are you suggesting? Vegetarians/vegans declaring a violent war against meat eaters? Just like the war between abolicionists and slavers? Violence is not the best answer. Violence damages people. People's minds and conducts don't change with the result of a war. Wars change flags, not realities. We already know it. One path could be making people aware of the daily animal genocide and torture. The proposal of alternatives is a good way.

William Michael Albert Broad wears his leather jacket when he goes with Uncle Steve in the morning to get coffee at Caffe Luxxe in Malibu and while they scope out the beach for the next California surfer girl for the next LIHS classic 1950's Americana single cover for all the foreigners to buy.

Always hated that kind of leather jacket, looks awful on everyone. It is the italian modern cut you need.

That DIY bondage outfit will get ya nowhere fast.

Maybe, but yours is also a very bourgois response to something being called bourgois. We could do this all day.

I don't think it's so much an offense, but more of an acknowledgment that it's a futile strategy that makes him look like an aristocrat, and not a moral champion.

No animal was saved from the dictate, and I doubt any hearts were won by it. Why would they be?

At some point, substance should take the lead. Image isn't everything.

We could do this all day but I didn’t start the ball rolling either. He’s a public artist making a statement as well as iust a person who doesn’t enjoy seeking my it. Artists have all kinds of riders where the demand all sorts of things that are simply selfish demands of staff. At least this is a worthwhile statement and request however little. Sure maybe someone will see the headline and reach the tipping point of becoming a vegan and save animals but I admit that a stretch. Just as much of a stretch as thinking this a calculated move to make a headline that supposedly gonna attract more fans to already sold out shows that have now passed

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom