Morrissey BANNED staff at Alexandra Palace gig from wearing leather or fur - Express.co.uk

Link posted by Famous when dead in the Alexandra Palace post-show thread (original post):

Morrissey BANNED staff at Alexandra Palace gig from wearing leather or fur - Express.co.uk
HE'S BEEN known to walk off stage in protest because meat was being cooked in the vicinity and it seems Morrissey hasn't mellowed with age and softened his stance towards meat eaters, or even wearers of animal products!

By JACK TEAGUE WITH DOMINIQUE HINES
PUBLISHED: 11:33, Mon, Mar 12, 2018 | UPDATED: 12:02, Mon, Mar 12, 2018

Sources at his London gig at Alexandra Palace on Friday told us staff weren't permitted to wear leather on direct orders from the former Smiths frontman.

"There's no meat for sale in the venue at all, which isn't that unusual for a Morrissey gig," Day & Night - who were in the audience - were reliably informed by a definitely not leather-clad lady.

"But none of the workers are allowed to wear any kind of fur or even leather this evening," she added.

"I thought they were joking but no, it's serious. I was going to wear a faux fur coat but I really didn't want to run the risk of having to prove it wasn't real before being let in. I'm not even wearing a belt because of it!"

To be fair to the 58-year-old former gladioli swinger, perhaps his decision to turn temporarily the birthplace of British television into a meat-free zone did have a calming effect of sorts.

Concertgoers were at least spared the kind of anti-Nicola Sturgeon rant which saw many stream for the exits at his gig in Glasgow last month.

Post-show discussions this time seemed to centre on what good form Morrissey and his voice were in.

And what filling they'd had in their vegan pies of course!

42571_Morrissey-930521.jpg

It doesn't keep me up nights either but he has been wearing Stella McCartney's footwear well before that King interview. I don't disagree that he wore leather as a vegetarian. I think a lot of vegetarians alter their activism in stages. There's bound to be some hypocrisy no matter how far you take it. Do you avoid catching a taxi because it has leather seats? Where does it end? I don't know every little detail of what Morrissey wears or eats but his farewell to leather was pre King interview. Exactly how long before? I'll have to check my calculator :)

Re his demands, I don't think it's that difficult to comply to an artist's wishes for their tour is it?
I think you make a valid point with 'Where does it end?', Marred, and this is what concerns me about his demands. Once upon a time he was simply vegetarian, then we hear that all the band members must be vegetarian; then we hear this extends to anyone who works with him (Tony Visconti, as a non-carb-eating diabetic, evidently agreed some workaround whereby he would eat somewhere else); then in Andrew Winters' 2008 expose we hear this extends to the road crew; for several years we've had the banning of animal-based food sales at shows; now we hear that the venue staff are being told what they can and can't wear. So where does it end?

Personally I couldn't give a monkeys about what Morrissey wears or eats, but if he's going to behave like Kim Jong-un people are rightly going to scrutinise his own behaviour for double standards. And you don't have to look very far to find them; interesting to note that he wasn't wearing his cashmere cardigan adorned with the peacock feather that night. Perhaps it was a bit warm.

This diktat has nothing to do with animal rights - or even 'artist's wishes' - and everything to do with his insatiable need for drama and attention. Bullying low-paid workers to comply with your own personal beliefs will not save any animals nor convert anyone to your cause, but it does get you column inches, so - mission accomplished.

Last edited:
Total hypocrisy !!!!!
I remember the shoes he wore during many years ago...
Total hypocrisy !!!!!
I remember the shoes he wore during many years ago...
What the name of these shoes? Oh, yes.... Dr Martens.... leather shoes no?
Where did this leather come from? :gun::cow::cow::cow::cow:.... Dead cows......

https://goo.gl/images/gXD3FE

I guarantee you the man eats carbs in one form or another, carbs being necessary for survival and all.
I don't eat them myself. Not what we typically think of as carbs, ie bread, rice, pasta, potatoes, grains. Yes, there are carbs in other foods in lesser amounts, I know. Visconti's point, when Morrissey wanted him to eat (I think) some sort of cheesy pasta for lunch, was that 'If I eat that I'll be in a diabetic coma'. They're not as necessary as you might think, if you eat very low carb you go into ketosis and get your energy from fat.

Last edited:
I don't eat them myself. Not what we typically think of as carbs, ie bread, rice, pasta, potatoes, grains. Yes, there are carbs in other foods in lesser amounts, I know. Visconti's point, when Morrissey wanted him to eat (I think) some sort of cheesy pasta for lunch, was that 'If I eat that I'll be in a diabetic coma'. They're not as necessary as you might think, if you eat very low carb you go into ketosis and get your energy from fat.

Nonsense. Of course you do. Everyone does, whether they think they do or not. Carbohydrates are the whole gamut from long chain to starches to dextrins to all manner of sugars.

Nonsense. Of course you do. Everyone does, whether they think they do or not. Carbohydrates are the whole gamut from long chain to starches to dextrins to all manner of sugars.
Yes. I said I don't eat bread, pasta, rice, potatoes or grains. (Or sugar, actually, including fruit). I probably didn't word it very clearly.

Yes. I said I don't eat bread, pasta, rice, potatoes or grains. (Or sugar, actually, including fruit). I probably didn't word it very clearly.

You still eat carbohydrates whether you think you do or not. Post a weekly diet sheet here and we can go through it.

You still eat carbohydrates whether you think you do or not. Post a weekly diet sheet here and we can go through it.
Yes, I know, that's what I meant. I eat a low carb diet which excludes the obvious things but there are carbs in other things I eat, like in nuts and vegetables.

My rule of thumb is to only eat things that I like the taste of without the need for seasoning, processing or cooking, as it would seem that they're the foods that are meant for me i.e Cherry tomatoes, peppers, watermelon, grapes, bananas, apple, satsumas, strawberries, nuts, seeds, sweetcorn. I then alternate between fruit, pulses, nuts and vegetables throughout the day. I eat as much as I want, whenever I want!

My rule of thumb is to only eat things that I like the taste of without the need for seasoning, processing or cooking, as it would seem that they're the foods that are meant for me i.e Cherry tomatoes, peppers, watermelon, grapes, bananas, apple, satsumas, strawberries, nuts, seeds, sweetcorn. I then alternate between fruit, pulses, nuts and vegetables throughout the day. I eat as much as I want, whenever I want!

Ha the only things I can eat on your list are peppers (red yellow and orange as I hate green) nuts (peanuts and cashews only) and an apple

Ha the only things I can eat on your list are peppers (red yellow and orange as I hate green) nuts (peanuts and cashews only) and an apple
Is that because you don't like the rest or are you intolerant? I don't like green peppers either. When I hit forty I promised myself I'd never eat anything I didn't like again. I think sometimes what you DON'T eat is more important for health.

Some sense at last and the whole cut out carbs thing drives me nuts although I already am.

Red colour is natures way to tell you don't eat it. It destroys the kidneys and if people realised how unhealthy strawberries are the Wimbledon tennis would get banned.

Most have no idea they add sugar to corn but there are sugar free alternatives. Nuts are full of hormones your thyroid will not like.

Candida loves fruit. I doubt strong spices are good for anyone cause it makes your skin very unhealthy and the sweat and oil it produces clogs up the pores.

I think you make a valid point with 'Where does it end?', Marred, and this is what concerns me about his demands. Once upon a time he was simply vegetarian, then we hear that all the band members must be vegetarian; then we hear this extends to anyone who works with him (Tony Visconti, as a non-carb-eating diabetic, evidently agreed some workaround whereby he would eat somewhere else); then in Andrew Winters' 2008 expose we hear this extends to the road crew; for several years we've had the banning of animal-based food sales at shows; now we hear that the venue staff are being told what they can and can't wear. So where does it end?

Personally I couldn't give a monkeys about what Morrissey wears or eats, but if he's going to behave like Kim Jong-un people are rightly going to scrutinise his own behaviour for double standards. And you don't have to look very far to find them; interesting to note that he wasn't wearing his cashmere cardigan adorned with the peacock feather that night. Perhaps it was a bit warm.

This diktat has nothing to do with animal rights - or even 'artist's wishes' - and everything to do with his insatiable need for drama and attention. Bullying low-paid workers to comply with your own personal beliefs will not save any animals nor convert anyone to your cause, but it does get you column inches, so - mission accomplished.
It's a bit of a no win situation for Morrissey though. If he let his crew eat and wear animals on tour he'd be maligned as a hypocrite for working with carnivores and if he pushes his policy of no meat, no skins on tour as he is he gets labeled as draconian. We know Morrissey is not a "half measures" type of guy so it's not a huge surprise he'd take things this far.

All said and done it's a little weird but not a huge sacrifice for the crew. At home they can eat all the steak they want while wearing full leather jump suits. They can also leave the tour. I'm not a vegetarian and I wear leather hardly ever so I imagine it'd be a small ask for me. Can you admire his dedication regardless?

It's a bit of a no win situation for Morrissey though. If he let his crew eat and wear animals on tour he'd be maligned as a hypocrite for working with carnivores and if he pushes his policy of no meat, no skins on tour as he is he gets labeled as draconian. We know Morrissey is not a "half measures" type of guy so it's not a huge surprise he'd take things this far.

All said and done it's a little weird but not a huge sacrifice for the crew. At home they can eat all the steak they want while wearing full leather jump suits. They can also leave the tour. I'm not a vegetarian and I wear leather hardly ever so I imagine it'd be a small ask for me. Can you admire his dedication regardless?
Which is why you keep such things private and don't turn it into a world wide campaign. I hate smokers and they are everywhere but claiming that cigarettes are murder will get me nowhere.

Whenever you claim something you will spend your life defending it getting ridiculed all the time. Morrissey has not saved a single animal all his life from what he did. He thinks he does but the meat market doesn't care if a few anemic victims don't eat their products.

I think Oprah learned more than Moz ever will.

Which is why you keep such things private and don't turn it into a world wide campaign. I hate smokers and they are everywhere but claiming that cigarettes are murder will get me nowhere.

Whenever you claim something you will spend your life defending it getting ridiculed all the time. Morrissey has not saved a single animal all his life from what he did. He thinks he does but the meat market doesn't care if a few anemic victims don't eat their products.

I think Oprah learned more than Moz ever will.
Yeah but what are her albums like though?

I get the hypocrite dilemma, but honestly, I think people are intelligent enough to draw the distinction between what Morrissey does and what people who work with him do. In fact I think he makes it worse for himself by trying to cover all the bases, because as you've pointed out yourself that's impossible - 'He stayed at a hotel where they serve meat - hypocrite!' - and he leaves himself open to more criticism because it just makes people look harder for the inconsistencies.

I'm not vegetarian either but I'm not 100% convinced by his motives in this. If he was half as fanatical about animal rights as he claims to be, I don't think he would have even contemplated buying that Alexander McQueen cardigan - I just don't think it would have even been on his radar. So no, I don't really admire the dedication because that implies hard work and a certain selflessness, whereas for me this looks more like ego run riot or just mouthing off for attention - and you have to admit he's got previous.

I get the hypocrite dilemma, but honestly, I think people are intelligent enough to draw the distinction between what Morrissey does and what people who work with him do. In fact I think he makes it worse for himself by trying to cover all the bases, because as you've pointed out yourself that's impossible - 'He stayed at a hotel where they serve meat - hypocrite!' - and he leaves himself open to more criticism because it just makes people look harder for the inconsistencies.

I'm not vegetarian either but I'm not 100% convinced by his motives in this. If he was half as fanatical about animal rights as he claims to be, I don't think he would have even contemplated buying that Alexander McQueen cardigan - I just don't think it would have even been on his radar. So no, I don't really admire the dedication because that implies hard work and a certain selflessness, whereas for me this looks more like ego run riot or just mouthing off for attention - and you have to admit he's got previous.

Because it's not about converting people for Morrissey. It's about using an act of rebellion as a partition between him and most other people. He can simply bully those he does business with now, and come out looking like a stalwart.

I don't see the purpose of telling band members they can't eat meat on their own and then knowing that they go home, and eat what they want. The money comes from the same place, and Morrissey isn't around to see it. I don't see the point of it all outside of him actually wanting to be seen as extreme.

Morrissey, being mostly seen as fey and timid, seems to have an obsession with wanting to seem tough through his rhetoric. There's definitely some playground trauma at work there.

Did he ban himself from wearing the Alexander McQueen Peackock Feather Embellished Cardigan ? Did he perform Our Crank as well :guitar:

Benny-the-British-Butcher :greatbritain::knife:
Maybe he believes sprinkling fairy dust magically makes cashmere and wool come from the land of rainbows and lollipops.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom