Morrissey biopic "England Is Mine" to close Edinburgh Film Festival (July 2, 2017)

Morrissey biopic ‘England is Mine’ to close Edinburgh Film Festival - eNews Channel Africa

Ben also sends the link:

The Smiths new film 'England Is Mine' to close Edinburgh International Film Festival - Music-News.com

Edinburgh International Film Festival is delighted to announce that ENGLAND IS MINE will close the 71st edition of the Festival on Sunday 2nd July, 2017 at Festival Theatre, Edinburgh.

ENGLAND IS MINE takes audiences back to 1970s Manchester, where Steven Morrissey (Jack Lowden – Dunkirk, A United Kingdom, ’71), an introverted, uncompromising teenager, finds himself frustrated with his working-class existence.

With dreams of a successful music career being dampened by his run-of-the-mill job at the local tax office, Steven finds solace in the city’s underground gig scene where he meets Linder Sterling (Jessica Brown Findlay – Downton Abbey, The Riot Club) – an intelligent, self-assured artist – who encourages him to make his ideas of superstardom a reality.

Culminating in his first meeting with Johnny Marr, ENGLAND IS MINE, is a feature length biopic based on the early life of Morrissey, the outspoken former lead singer of seminal British band The Smiths. The film is directed by Academy Award® and BAFTA Award nominee Mark Gill (The Voorman Problem) and produced by Baldwin Li (The Voorman Problem) and Orian Williams (Control). Key cast will be in attendance on Closing night.

EIFF Artistic Director Mark Adams said: “Morrissey is one of Britain’s most iconic artists, and this delve into his formative years is a witty and enthralling look at a great music talent. The world premiere of ENGLAND IS MINE will be a perfect way to wrap this year’s Festival.”

Tickets will go on sale at 10 am on Friday 12 May through the EIFF website. For more information visit www.edfilmfest.org.uk.

Famous when dead also posted the link:

Morrissey biopic to close Edinburgh film festival - BBC News

40041__96014996_morrisseyone.jpg

Jessica Brown Findlay plays Linder Sterling, an artist who encourages Morrissey

Last edited by a moderator:
Reckon me think there is a method to this madness and why Uncle Steve didn't stop the filming. Brits love the teenage long hair Steve and Smiths Steve before he went all Hollywood and became Mayor of Malibu. Boy with a Thorn single, Mporium UK. It makes sense. He still needs to be relevant for the 2021 Brit/Euro Tour. This movie is not a real life portrayal, because if it was, it would show all his teenage trips with his sister and aunt to the Grand Canyon, New York, Florida, Washington DC, and Disneyland.

How do you know there aren't any references to the US?

Mike Joyce will visit my dreams tonight, and that sweet arse. (my most influential drummer of the past 50 years.)Beauty like Dallesandro. Better eyes even.

I thought Morrissey's bedroom had a life- size cut-out of James Dean, a copy of You're The One by The Marvelettes and shelves laden with books on feminism (nobody's perfect), film criticism etc etc

Looking forward to this!

"Kiss and tell books, I have another name for people who write those kind of books, and they're pimps and whores.
Because they can't write their own name to earn a living properly. They gotta lean on somebody else. And they know
nothing about the person about whom they've written. Really don't know. They just read newspaper clips and they
write a story."
- Francis Albert Sinatra

Do you really think these movies are any different?

"Kiss and tell books, I have another name for people who write those kind of books, and they're pimps and whores.
Because they can't write their own name to earn a living properly. They gotta lean on somebody else. And they know
nothing about the person about whom they've written. Really don't know. They just read newspaper clips and they
write a story."
- Francis Albert Sinatra

Do you really think these movies are any different?

If you have any more blindingly obvious (chicken Mc)nuggets of wisdom to share, please feel free to do so. You'll be trying to tell us it isn't actually Morrissey in the film, next! We're not gullible! We won't fall for that!

I'm fine, I'm doing very well and thanks for your kind concern Q q q :thumb:
I've said enough already.

Benny-the-British-Butcher :greatbritain::knife:

> I've said enough already.

Now that's the first time I've ever agreed with Benny.

If you have any more blindingly obvious (chicken Mc)nuggets of wisdom to share, please feel free to do so. You'll be trying to tell us it isn't actually Morrissey in the film, next! We're not gullible! We won't fall for that!

Considering they didn't consult him and I am sure Linder wasn't either, it is all guesswork. A few pages from autobiography and a few interviews really isn't an hour and a half movie. But they will still label it as HIS life?

"You got to be on the ball from the minute you step into that spotlight.
You gotta know exactly what you're doing every second on that stage.
Otherwise the act goes right into the bathroom. It's all over. Goodnight."
- Francis Albert Sinatra

Ticket purchased...
Wonder what the dress code will be?

Looking forward to it

Ticket purchased...
Wonder what the dress code will be?

Looking forward to it

Casual.
I mean, you don't have to parade on the red carpet, do you?
Or you could search for a Liberace coat.
Maybe Moz is there in the audience?
You never know!

Shiver me timbers! I reckon there's more Yankee caps in England than there is in New York. Reckon with all the "Yankee" slurs on this board, there must be a lot of Hicks from the South on this board who still aren't over the Civil War.

Uncle Steve, get off your ass (arkse) and shut this piece of shit (sheyeit) "film" down!! Don't worry John Lydon isn't going to come over and write "TRUMP RULEZ" on your surf board if you would just leave the house more than just going to The Sunet Marquis with lil' Sammy on veggie taco Tuesday.

Last edited:
Considering they didn't consult him and I am sure Linder wasn't either, it is all guesswork. A few pages from autobiography and a few interviews really isn't an hour and a half movie. But they will still label it as HIS life?

Control was made without the obvious consent of Ian Curtis. 24 hour party people took many liberties, admittedly. Still both are enjoyable films and fan favourites.

I can personally guarantee, the film will end with Steven appearing, transformed, from around a corner, his indifferent glam shag haircut now replaced by the giant rockabilly quiff with a sense of mission, like Bruce Wayne making his first appearance as Batman. Latino Batman.

I've watched many biopics over the years but Morrissey is a different kettle of fish. I suppose because no matter what
the director and actors try to achieve it's not my vision that is just as ill judged.
I'll put up with other films like Gainsbourg or Piaf but it just could be too much to take.

Tags
england is mine movie

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom