Morrissey Central: "… AND ‘IT’S OVER’ CAME TUMBLING AFTER" (December 20, 2019)

Moz on HMV showing of the It's over 7“

Adjustments_dcam7l.jpg

… AND ‘IT’S OVER’ CAME TUMBLING AFTER.
December 20, 2019

"Making a thud similar to a dropped cabbage, some copies of "It's Over" have been spotted in a couple of HMV's - six weeks after its release date. My greatest vocal, my most proud single release … and nobody knows what to do with it. Roy Orbison would turn in his urn. The sheer excruciation endured in trying to see "It's Over" released has once again defeated me. Everything, it seems, has been done to make "It's Over" pass as quickly from human memory as possible, and a forest of cliche's will no doubt explain its unintentionally hilarious disappearance. When we first released California son, it was "It's Over" that received the most airplay, and the time was ripe to launch it as a single. But, no! Let the year pass and then dribble out "It's Over" amid an air of chilly silence. That's the way to do it! At least "It's Over" has achieved a full page in the manual of How Not To Release A Single. If it's any consolation to those of you who would like a copy of "It's Over" I should tell you that I have yet to see a finished copy of it myself. I live in knotted hope.

Sad times for a change, MORRISSEY."

https://www.morrisseycentral.com/messagesfrommorrissey/and-it-s-over-came-tumbling-after

Related item:

Last edited by a moderator:
Moz on HMV showing of the It's over 7“

View attachment 53771
… AND ‘IT’S OVER’ CAME TUMBLING AFTER.
December 20, 2019

"Making a thud similar to a dropped cabbage, some copies of "It's Over" have been spotted in a couple of HMV's - six weeks after its release date. My greatest vocal, my most proud single release … and nobody knows what to do with it. Roy Orbison would turn in his urn. The sheer excruciation endured in trying to see "It's Over" released has once again defeated me. Everything, it seems, has been done to make "It's Over" pass as quickly from human memory as possible, and a forest of cliche's will no doubt explain its unintentionally hilarious disappearance. When we first released California son, it was "It's Over" that received the most airplay, and the time was ripe to launch it as a single. But, no! Let the year pass and then dribble out "It's Over" amid an air of chilly silence. That's the way to do it! At least "It's Over" has achieved a full page in the manual of How Not To Release A Single. If it's any consolation to those of you who would like a copy of "It's Over" I should tell you that I have yet to see a finished copy of it myself. I live in knotted hope.

Sad times for a change, MORRISSEY."

https://www.morrisseycentral.com/messagesfrommorrissey/and-it-s-over-came-tumbling-after

Related item:

Does he know – I mean, has he been told? – that most people stream their music now, singles and all?

I’m a huge Morrissey fan, and I wouldn’t buy the single. I know casual fans aren’t going to. The only people are buying it are completists, and they were going to buy it anyway, so who cares if it’s out and where it’s at? This whole thing makes no sense and it’s like a tempest in a teapot.

The chatter on here about BMG dropping the ball speaks to the fact that present-day Morrissey fans are completely clueless, where record companies and contracts are concerned.

BMG fronted Melvis the money to record and tour. He owes them. If they don’t see a reasonable prospect of recouping, they’ll cut their losses and drop him.

NOBODY presses 200 copies of a vinyl release. The costs associated with mastering, pressing and distribution are prohibitive. It’s simply not worth throwing good money after bad.

Morrissey’s career, heretofore, will either be self-funded (snowball’s chance in Hell) or crowd-funded. Everyone knows he’s not going to spend a dime of his own money. He’ll spout some more half-baked, English nationalist nonsense from his villa in CA and then sit back while his lingering lap-dogs drop donations, along with PETA-tarts, the Yaxely-Lennon crew and any other in the tiny group of slugs that still remain.

Nobody has been more successful at uniting the dregs than Melvis. He’s the undisputed champion of the half-grin contract. He doesn’t care about causes or politics. He a seasoned, dirty rotten scoundrel. You give. He takes.

...and you get a Roy Orbison cover on fruit-cake coloured wax for your efforts (IF you raise enough collective funds).

Enjoy!
That was spot on.

This is what happens when monstrous narcissism meets complete inability to understand the current music business. It's Over was practically the lead track for California Son and that's why it received airplay in the spring. (And also because it was better than the woeful Wedding Bells). There is absolutely no sense in thinking that releasing it on a fans-only format would make it a proper chart hit in any time of the year. That's why BMG has not promoted the release -- because there is no money in it and nothing to gain. Morrissey should just shut up and concentrate on his next new release. He might still have a record contract, if he had done that from the start.

I do like the line "Making a thud similar to a dropped cabbage" though.

it's just a bit of camp. And he has correctly identified the problem - they don't know what to do with a 60 year old enfant terrible who isn't a heritage act & who doesn't go on the showbiz circuit.

How brave you are despite the dead mommy. You're just a whitewashed English turd masquerading as a Scot.
I hope you, Johnson, Farage, Waters and Yaxley-Lennon enjoy your next white night out, maybe at Whetherspoons.
don't talk crap I was born in the west of Scotland and have lived here my whole life.

How brave you are despite the dead mommy. You're just a whitewashed English turd masquerading as a Scot.
I hope you, Johnson, Farage, Waters and Yaxley-Lennon enjoy your next white night out, maybe at Whetherspoons.

Yep I'm going to that 'do'...there'll be a sign on the door to reflect who is allowed in, and who is not...you know, a bit like back in the 50s/60s in UK, & also US....although the new signs have been updated to include "No Skinnys", "No Lefties", "No POC", "No Corbyn apologists"...should be a good night out! ;)

Found in HMV Bury St Edmunds. My partner went in yesterday to ask for it, and was told they don’t sell vinyl singles. HMV almost as useless as BMG

Attachments

• E9CB3106-BAB8-46D1-8A8B-1CF770006876.jpeg
    E9CB3106-BAB8-46D1-8A8B-1CF770006876.jpeg
    81.9 KB · Views: 0
I’ve got my hands on a few copies. Watch this space :brows:

Benny-the-British-Butcher :greatbritain::knife:

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom