Morrissey Central: "… AND ‘IT’S OVER’ CAME TUMBLING AFTER" (December 20, 2019)

Moz on HMV showing of the It's over 7“

Adjustments_dcam7l.jpg

… AND ‘IT’S OVER’ CAME TUMBLING AFTER.
December 20, 2019

"Making a thud similar to a dropped cabbage, some copies of "It's Over" have been spotted in a couple of HMV's - six weeks after its release date. My greatest vocal, my most proud single release … and nobody knows what to do with it. Roy Orbison would turn in his urn. The sheer excruciation endured in trying to see "It's Over" released has once again defeated me. Everything, it seems, has been done to make "It's Over" pass as quickly from human memory as possible, and a forest of cliche's will no doubt explain its unintentionally hilarious disappearance. When we first released California son, it was "It's Over" that received the most airplay, and the time was ripe to launch it as a single. But, no! Let the year pass and then dribble out "It's Over" amid an air of chilly silence. That's the way to do it! At least "It's Over" has achieved a full page in the manual of How Not To Release A Single. If it's any consolation to those of you who would like a copy of "It's Over" I should tell you that I have yet to see a finished copy of it myself. I live in knotted hope.

Sad times for a change, MORRISSEY."

https://www.morrisseycentral.com/messagesfrommorrissey/and-it-s-over-came-tumbling-after

Related item:

Last edited by a moderator:
Although not the actual single, this is It's Over from CS album - which is the one Moz album I have not given much time to at all.
I then cross compared against RO's version.
Moz does an excellent job to be fair.

it's just a bit of camp. And he has correctly identified the problem - they don't know what to do with a 60 year old enfant terrible who isn't a heritage act & who doesn't go on the showbiz circuit.

And who has haemorrhaged 60% of his fan-base in the last 18 months by a series of idiotic, ignorant, toxic words and gestures in support of racist, right-wing politicians and their parties.

And who has haemorrhaged 60% of his fan-base in the last 18 months by a series of idiotic, ignorant, toxic words and gestures in support of racist, right-wing politicians and their parties.

So all his fans vote LibDem? Because The Tories are racist, Labour is being investigated for racism & lost its heartlands & The Greens had an Islamophobia scandal over Halal.

At the root, Morrissey was complaining about sovereignty, identity politics & The Guardian & he was right about all 3. If his fans still hate him for it, then more fool them.

^^^^This f***ing Clown: Lol.
Awww not again Skinny (sigh)...where do you get your dramatic data from?...thin air I suspect, or do you have it tattooed on your body somewhere & it now serves as a reminder that the tattoo artist f***ed up & therefore you try, relentlessly, to make it a believable 'fact'?
Tedious:
Hilarious.
But.
Tedious.

Last edited by a moderator:
it's just a bit of camp. And he has correctly identified the problem - they don't know what to do with a 60 year old enfant terrible who isn't a heritage act & who doesn't go on the showbiz circuit.

Well, I'd say BMG knew exactly what to do. They gave him money to record an album the way he wanted to and then gave it a reasonable amount of promotion of it to make the fanbase and the casual listeners aware of it. That's what they did and anything else would basically have been manouvres to keep Morrissey content (an impossible goal that) and money down the well.

Awww not again Skinny (sigh)...where do you get your dramatic data from?...thin air I suspect, or do you have it tattooed on your body somewhere & it now serves as a reminder that the tattoo artist f***ed up & therefore you try, relentlessly, to make it a believable 'fact'?
Tedious:
Hilarious.
But.
Tedious.
60% is an amusingly specific number. Was that a mori poll? People come and people go, no big deal. Personally love all the etienne releases, look just like Morrissey releases should. And as for hipsters streaming music and not buying vinyls, cmon! That's your choice, but sitting in a room full of records listening to music and looking at covers and coloured vinyls as opposed to sitting in an empty room listening through sonos from your phone? Will never compare and I do both. I guess it's just choice at the end of the day. Enjoy the music you love your way but no need to moan about music you don't like presented in ways you don't like. There's far too much music out there for your enjoyment. We all only have so much energy so surely best used finding and enjoying than wasting it on diatribes about others or things you dislike. For the record his voice has continued to improve without doubt. Immediately identifiable, can't be said about many in the pop charts. A duet with capaldi, we can dream.

Tedious:
Hilarious.
But.
Tedious.

Corbyn likely hired Skinny for his polling data.:rolleyes:
The Torys are hemorrhaging at a 80 percent clip!!!:swear
Everybody is signing up Labour:laughing:

everything the dumb skinnys say, the complete opposite is true.:highfive:

Low in HS was not going to come out:ahhh: because Boz left the band.doh:
California Son was not going to come out:ahhh:
then new album was not going to be recorded or released.:ahhh:

Well, I'd say BMG knew exactly what to do. They gave him money to record an album the way he wanted to and then gave it a reasonable amount of promotion of it to make the fanbase and the casual listeners aware of it. That's what they did and anything else would basically have been manouvres to keep Morrissey content (an impossible goal that) and money down the well.

I meant his branding - normally by his age, there's one fixed image & you just sell it relentlessly - Bowie was the Starman, Jagger is Jumping Jack Flash, Dolly Parton is the Backwoods Barbie etc etc.. whereas The Pope of Mope doesn't really fit what he's selling & they haven't found something that sums up the mix of violence & yearning in his solo stuff...

This is what happens when monstrous narcissism meets complete inability to understand the current music business. It's Over was practically the lead track for California Son and that's why it received airplay in the spring. (And also because it was better than the woeful Wedding Bells). There is absolutely no sense in thinking that releasing it on a fans-only format would make it a proper chart hit in any time of the year. That's why BMG has not promoted the release -- because there is no money in it and nothing to gain. Morrissey should just shut up and concentrate on his next new release. He might still have a record contract, if he had done that from the start.

Are you saying that he has been dumped by BMG? What is the evidence to support such a claim? The white record / no label sleeve that Sam is holding up in another thread? If so, that's a cryptic way to say it.

Are you saying that he has been dumped by BMG? What is the evidence to support such a claim? The white record / no label sleeve that Sam is holding up in another thread? If so, that's a cryptic way to say it.

I don't know if he's been dumped exactly. The message on MorrisseyCentral said this new album concludes his contract with them for new music and they are going to concentrate on re-releasing older stuff. It can be assumed they are no longer interested in his current career.

Like Anonymous pointed out above, Morrissey has publicly stated that the forthcoming album concludes his contract with BMG. Hence when I Am Not A Dog On A Chain is released, he will be out of a record contract, and his recent posts about BMG hint that the split hasn't been amicable. If he stubbornly refuses to self-release or sign with an independent, this might very well be the last studio album from him.

Like Anonymous pointed out above, Morrissey has publicly stated that the forthcoming album concludes his contract with BMG. Hence when I Am Not A Dog On A Chain is released, he will be out of a record contract, and his recent posts about BMG hint that the split hasn't been amicable. If he stubbornly refuses to self-release or sign with an independent, this might very well be the last studio album from him.

self release is for peeps that got nothing going like:handpointright::guardsman::handpointleft: who nobody will sign as they are sure loss leaders.:bowing:

poor Le Pew doesnt even have any Merch in his website!!!!!!:frowning:
thats right NONE ZERO!!:screamcat:
there were three of the dumb 45 boxes printed, Le Pew, Missus and Jr bought one apiece and now there is nothing. NO tshirts!! NO hats!!
explains why 24/7 with the flowery shirt:neutral:

self release is for peeps that got nothing going like:handpointright::guardsman::handpointleft: who nobody will sign as they are sure loss leaders.:bowing:

poor Le Pew doesnt even have any Merch in his website!!!!!!:frowning:
thats right NONE ZERO!!:screamcat:
there were three of the dumb 45 boxes printed, Le Pew, Missus and Jr bought one apiece and now there is nothing. NO tshirts!! NO hats!!
explains why 24/7 with the flowery shirt:neutral:

You're lying or maybe you don't know how to navigate a website? Johnny Marr has a nice, robust online store https://shop.johnnymarr.com/

I don't know if he's been dumped exactly. The message on MorrisseyCentral said this new album concludes his contract with them for new music and they are going to concentrate on re-releasing older stuff. It can be assumed they are no longer interested in his current career.

Thanks you and also thanks to Eldritch. For some reason, read the post as implying that Morrissey had already been dropped by the label even BEFORE the next album had bee released. But your explanation makes a lot of sense to me. So after the next album, there will be a much longer break, if ever he releases another studio album.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom