Morrissey Central (again): "Lady Willpower" (August 5, 2019)

Central restates the release information today:

"Saturday 24th August is the release date for Morrissey's next single/45, "Lady Willpower". The B-side is "Rainbow Valley", as recorded by The Love Affair in 1968."

"Tickets for Morrissey at The Hollywood Bowl (Saturday, October 26th) are on sale now. Interpol will open the night."

https://www.morrisseycentral.com/messagesfrommorrissey/238278-lady-willpower

Then an uncredited Iron Bridge image:

full

Perhaps digital first?
Since when has a single been released on a Saturday? The physical single hasn't appeared on presale sheets anywhere yet.
If the vinyl does appear on the 24th it will be the first single (rapidly) released without any decent preorder time for stores - which is odd.
Regards,
FWD.

Related item:

Last edited by a moderator:
However, if Moz came out with a fresh, fan pleasing set on opening night, filled with songs we'd all love to hear (and ditched the ones everyone is bored of), you'd see the remaining gigs fill up nicely, and the Hollywood Bowl would sell out. But I don't see him doing that sadly.
J

Agree with your message, Saïd the same thing earlier.

If half of his setlist consisted of Smiths songs, and the other half of early solo stuff, people would show up in larger numbers.[/QUOTE]
ignoring his most recent work would make him no more than a tribute act.

J

Agree with your message, Saïd the same thing earlier.

If half of his setlist consisted of Smiths songs, and the other half of early solo stuff, people would show up in larger numbers.
ignoring his most recent work would make him no more than a tribute act.[/QUOTE]

7D2CB4A2-BB9C-438E-A976-A5E3A2063174.jpeg

That is simply not how it works. 95% of the people attending a Morrissey concert have no idea what the set-list will be - they will just be hoping for at least a few well known Smiths/solo songs. The percentage of people at these concerts that follow websites like these (and other online sources of set-lists) is absolutely tiny. The number of active members on this site is barely in the hundreds, and this is the world's biggest Morrissey/Smiths fan site. A good set-list is a nice reward but it has next to no impact on ticket sales unless you specifically advertised the tour as an album themed event (e.g. playing the whole of The Queen is Dead).

95% of people attending his shows now have seen him at least once over the past number of years, based on that alone, they know what the setlist will be (roughly). No one is really following websites like these any more, just us old f***s (like me) who check in occasionally. I also disagree with your assessment on a good set affecting ticket sales. Last October, the Microsoft Theatre in LA was not sold out, it was the second show of the tour. When word got out that he played a fairly fresh set the night before in Ventura, LA sold out on the day of. I know many people who were not planning on going to that gig who went strictly on the strength of the prior night's setlist via social media.

ignoring his most recent work would make him no more than a tribute act.

No, not really. Most artists in his age range have adapted to playing mainly "best of" sets filled with crowd pleasers. Morrissey has always been one to push his new material hard with live shows. It was fine in the early days, but it comes off as a bit desperate now. That's a thing young artists do. You see someone like Paul McCartney for example... sure, he'll play a couple of tracks of his latest record, a couple. But mostly, he's going to give fans what they want to hear. Morrissey has always been a selfish performer, he plays what he wants to play, not necessarily what we want to hear. We've all accepted that, but there comes a point where it's ridiculous for an average fan to pay money to hear more than half a set filled with mediocre songs from the past decade.

ignoring his most recent work would make him no more than a tribute act.[/QUOTE]

Well I can enjoy his more recent work but he has played it quite extensively. After all, he has doubled down on touring since YATQ. I have been able to see him more than once on almost every album tour since YATQ, actually since maladjusted. I missed the Kill Uncle tour due to circumstances, the other early solo albums and Smiths albums were toured less elaborately. That's how it was these days: artists made money selling CDs, not by touring.

And t is partly nostalgia, I have to admit this. His older work (Smiths & solo) is like a bottle of grand cru champagne: it ages quite nicely. It's too early to judge his newer material on that criterion.

So yes, let him be his own tribute band, good remark. I don't live in LA/UK, so I don't get to see the other tribute bands, ut generally speaking I just care about the real thing.

My interest in Moz must be waning but I just can't get excited about a single that we already have and isn't that great anyway. Maybe I'm going through a phase but I'd much prefer to listen to the likes of John Grant than Moz these days. I've had enough of cover versions of barely ok songs. It all just seems so stale and irrelevant.
Well how excited do you expect to get about cover versions in general?

Well how excited do you expect to get about cover versions in general?
Very fair point. I don't see the point of cover versions or bands that only do cover versions (e.g. Cure or Smiths tribute bands) but the one exception is a Joy Division tribute band.

Very fair point. I don't see the point of cover versions or bands that only do cover versions (e.g. Cure or Smiths tribute bands) but the one exception is a Joy Division tribute band.
Yeah tribute bands need to be outlawed. It's fair enough when a new band is starting out and they want to flex their muscles covering their favourite artists, but a tribute band is basically saying "We have no original material whatsoever." I didn't think I was going to be interested in California Son but I now love it and Don't Interrupt the Sorrow is simply stunning. It's tone reminds me of those mellow Smiths tracks like This Night Has Opened My Eyes. At least we're getting original songs as B Sides to the cover version singles. That's a new one for the books. It's usually the other way round.

9 days ahead of the 24th and still nothing at Amazon etc.
So it will be digital only I guess.
Yes, the Warners pre-sale sheets for almost mid Sept are available and Morrissey doesn't feature on any list for a physical vinyl release (with obviously zero of the usual online pre-sales either).
Central appears to have shared misinformation (not the first time) and given one date for something that will be released on 2 separate dates. I'd put money on digital being the 24th (nobody releases music on a Saturday - so that's odd in the first place) with vinyl thereafter, but that 'thereafter' is looking to be at least the end of September (the Warners's sheets next week will shed more light).
Regards,
FWD.

Shaking my head in disbelieve. Why is it so hard to give the right release date?

At least there's still a chance we'll get go hear the new b-side digitally on the 24th.
And I hope that they'll use the Stanley Baker picture. It's very nice.

Can’t disagree with any of that
But, don’t tell Neal Cassidy off her that, he’s only just jumped on the bandwagon and is desperate to be noticed and feel the good old days. The above will hurt. X
Lol!!!!!

As some information is better than none and despite potentially boring anyone:
Warners physical presale/ordering lists for the 6th & 13th of September don't have Lady Willpower 7" listed.
Friday the 20th of September's release list is due soon - more information when it's out.
Regards,
FWD.

For anyone interested - the releases via Warners on said dates:
6th September
BLACK STAR RIDERS - Another State of Grace - Gatefold Pic Disc LP
CHRISSIE HYNDE & THE VALVE BONE WOE ENSEMBLE - Valve Bone Woe
DEATH CAB FOR CUTIE - The Blue E.P.
ECHO & THE BUNNYMEN - The Peel Sessions
MILES DAVIS - Rubberband
SLEEPING WITH SIRENS - How It Feels to Be Lost ***RSD Stores Stores Exclusive*** Black w/ Purple Splatter

13th September
DEVENDRA BANHART - Ma - ***RSD Stores Exclusive*** - Heavyweight 140 gram high-performance transparent red coloured vinyl
KORN - The Nothing - Indies ONLY White Vinyl
PIXIES - Beneath the Eyrie ***RSD Stores ONLY Exclusive*** - Standard Heavyweight Single Gatefold Coloured Vinyl
STONE TEMPLE PILOTS - Purple **4 disc super deluxe edition 3 CD + 1 LP**
(The 3CD+LP package includes a newly remastered version of the original studio album on both CD and vinyl, plus unreleased versions of album tracks and rarities, along with an unheard full concert recording from 1994.)
THE GOO GOO DOLLS - Miracle Pill **BRAND NEW ALBUM**
THE MONKEES - Christmas Party - 180g - first vinyl pressing plus Expanded Michael Allred gatefold sleeve

Oh look it is Louis Armstrong missing a trumpet again. Sold the butter and lost the money.

As some information is better than none and despite potentially boring anyone:
Warners physical presale/ordering lists for the 6th & 13th of September don't have Lady Willpower 7" listed.
Friday the 20th of this month's release list is due soon - more information when it's out.
Regards,
FWD.

For anyone interested - the releases via Warners on said dates:
6th September
BLACK STAR RIDERS - Another State of Grace - Gatefold Pic Disc LP
CHRISSIE HYNDE & THE VALVE BONE WOE ENSEMBLE - Valve Bone Woe
DEATH CAB FOR CUTIE - The Blue E.P.
ECHO & THE BUNNYMEN - The Peel Sessions
MILES DAVIS - Rubberband
SLEEPING WITH SIRENS - How It Feels to Be Lost ***RSD Stores Stores Exclusive*** Black w/ Purple Splatter

13th September
DEVENDRA BANHART - Ma - ***RSD Stores Exclusive*** - Heavyweight 140 gram high-performance transparent red coloured vinyl
KORN - The Nothing - Indies ONLY White Vinyl
PIXIES - Beneath the Eyrie ***RSD Stores ONLY Exclusive*** - Standard Heavyweight Single Gatefold Coloured Vinyl
STONE TEMPLE PILOTS - Purple **4 disc super deluxe edition 3 CD + 1 LP**
(The 3CD+LP package includes a newly remastered version of the original studio album on both CD and vinyl, plus unreleased versions of album tracks and rarities, along with an unheard full concert recording from 1994.)
THE GOO GOO DOLLS - Miracle Pill **BRAND NEW ALBUM**
THE MONKEES - Christmas Party - 180g - first vinyl pressing plus Expanded Michael Allred gatefold sleeve

Thank you for the update!

L O L
It's too late Steve.
It's over.
Finished.

Benny-the-British-Butcher :greatbritain::knife:

WTF????!!!!:rolleyes:

Skinny I thought this "Benny Butcher" sock puppet had been killed off??:lbf:

You brought the useless cuck parrot back to life?:straightface:

:handpointright::turban::handpointleft:
The Original Halal Butcher.:dancers:

To use black people like this is shameful. Morrissey's cry of "look at me, I'm not a racist", is just pitiful. What fans need is a clear, unambiguous statement that savages For Britain, Yaxley-Lennon and Farage. It'll never come. These dreadful photos are testament to just how out of step Morrissey is. What an arse.

Who cares about what's on the poster ? Whose that Zu-Luu-jockey any how ? The Martin Luther Coon fella ? We dunno....maybe you children would prefer a life size stand up poster of P.M. Boris Johnson giving you all the finger, saying , "FOR BRITIAN", OR f*** YA.!
Fire Away...Hilarious !

To use black people like this is shameful. Morrissey's cry of "look at me, I'm not a racist", is just pitiful. What fans need is a clear, unambiguous statement that savages For Britain, Yaxley-Lennon and Farage. It'll never come. These dreadful photos are testament to just how out of step Morrissey is. What an arse.
Morons like this are the same people who'd chastise Morrissey for not having any black people on his album covers.

Tags
california son info

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom