Morrissey Central: Blue Rondo A La Turk

BLUE RONDO A LA TURK - Morrissey Central
July 8, 2019

full

"I liked them because they seemed two jumps ahead of everyone else. The mere sight of them suggested big league, but they didn't quite get that far. They were one of the very few groups that the Smiths supported, but there was a scepticism about them being just 'club models' … who asked and got. This was said also about very early Roxy Music … who appeared to be quite affluent before they'd even had a hit. With Blue Rondo, again, you suspected that they were given all of their fantastic suits for free whilst the rest of us had to dream of being able to buy SOMETHING that didn't look TOO abysmal. The main electric spark was their dancing which was very virile and athletic … and even though they came from the Blitz/Billy's scene they seemed like supermale prizefighters or nightclub heavies … deep-chested vocals, narrow-hipped, and very much a man's, man's, man's, man's world. I don't think a sudden tussle would trouble them in the least. But their songs were not about the curves of seductive women - or even about women … as if women might even lack some essential excitement. It's a safe bet that they couldn't stand the Smiths … me singing about not even a glimmer of adventure sex. But that was 1982 or, for me, 1947. Their companion Robert Elms described me as "Ena Sharples". I was actually flattered because Violet Carson, I thought, was extremely funny. You know how comedians or comic actors think that if they show lots of teeth people will think they're saying something hilarious … when of course they aren't? Well, Violet Carson kept her teeth well hidden. Maybe she had none? How did I get from Blue Rondo a la Turk to Violet Carson?
Oh. Well, Blue Rondo were a London band … which was obvious to us because they actually had shoes. I don't think their songs were as good as ours, but our shoes weren't as good as theirs, so, there we are.
They quickly went away and didn't return. I don't know if it's even possible to find their music anymore, but it certainly wouldn't hurt the ear. I think some of Blue Rondo were from the West Indies whereas of course all of the Smiths were born at the Manchester Scabies & Gripe Maternity Hospital."

Morrissey 7 July 2019, talking to himself (for … what choice?)

* sorry, I have no idea who took the above photograph.

Amusing musings from Moz about the first Smiths-support act.

Note posted by an anonymous person:

Actually, it was the other way around. The Smiths supported them. It was their first live show ever on 4 October 1982 at the Ritz.

Last edited by a moderator:
He has a problem in the fact he's not terribly good in conversation. He makes statements because, by default, he's in that position to do so. It's difficult because he's trying to get things across, which I suspect comes from never being listened to in his formative years, but he doesn't have the necessary tools to expand on what he's said.

The main issue is control. We have seen time and time again that he prefers to vet interviews by e-mail, or in the old days, fax, so he can control the exchanges. In one to ones, like the Spiegel comments he said never happened, until he was shown to be a liar by having the tape released, he more often than not can't help himself. and says what he actually means, rather then the spun version controlled via e-mail.

There was a lot of music genres about - even if I didn't like all of them. I agree with your timescale. I'd say from 84 onwards matters took a turn for the worse. The charts became very dull indeed but the indie scene exploded. There is always good music out there, always.
stock Aitken and waterman reared their ugly heads and the eighties music wise was over.

OK, unwilling and therefore incapable. This hasn't got to do with his art. Unless you're saying his PR is some sort of performance art? Like Andy Kaufman?
No, because of the lyrics I just quoted. Never being sorry, never looking back, making it on his own terms are all part of his success. Playing the game isn't. So there is no way back for him, and neither would he want one.

stock Aitken and waterman reared their ugly heads and the eighties music wise was over.

Chart-wise, I'd agree that 'pop' music became even more commercial than it had ever been before. What was played on radio and tv was mostly shite. But ... there were decent DJs, radio shows, tv programmes that blossomed. And then we had the glorious misnomer c86! Fantastic!

Given that Morrissey usually dismisses the Smiths as a mere stepping stone to his great solo career, this is an interesting appeal to nostalgia about their very early days. If I was cynical I would say it was an attempt to pull Johnny on side.

Given that Morrissey usually dismisses the Smiths as a mere stepping stone to his great solo career, this is an interesting appeal to nostalgia about their very early days. If I was cynical I would say it was an attempt to pull Johnny on side.
Not. A. Chance. He has alienated Marr. The Smiths will never ever reform. Given that the real reason he wished Joyce '...the very worst for the rest of his life.' had less to do with the court case and more to do that he'd been jilted. The Smiths are over. He may be getting nostalgic, but he brought the petrol and matches to all the bridges he's burned.

Not incapable, but unwilling. Why compromise his art?
Not sorry for, For the things I've done

Why compromise his art?
Perhaps so that one day he can continue his art again, e.g. by playing concerts in his home country. He won't be able to do that ever again, unless we get a groveling apology for his frighteningly idiotic and ignorant behaviour/comments. No apology, and no retraction of support for the party 'For Bigots', and it's all over, including his art.

o_O

Moz has said for years he has no interest in having :handpointright::guardsman::handpointleft: in his band. specially now that his fingers
at faltering when paying the silly guitar riff he plays on every song.:censored:
DramaJ and his fellow lawnmowers will have to continue to struggle for a couple of quid.
Mini tiny gigs with a couple of opening slots at festivals,which they get on Moz rep. All these
lawnmower cucks are still directly or indirectly feeding off Moz.
the cucks.:head-smack: no sense or talent in them.:yum:

Not. A. Chance. He has alienated Marr. The Smiths will never ever reform. Given that the real reason he wished Joyce '...the very worst for the rest of his life.' had less to do with the court case and more to do that he'd been jilted. The Smiths are over. He may be getting nostalgic, but he brought the petrol and matches to all the bridges he's burned.

I wasn't referring to a Smiths reunion. It's just clear to me that Morrissey is watching the media furore at the moment very closely, scanning for the smallest scraps of support, reading what Bragg and his 80s contemporaries have to say.

Even if Johnny said, "I'll never agree with him, but I'm not taking part in this public crucifixion either" - I think that would mean the world. I'm not giving your Joyce nonsense airtime.

I wasn't referring to a Smiths reunion. It's just clear to me that Morrissey is watching the media furore at the moment very closely, scanning for the smallest scraps of support, reading what Bragg and his 80s contemporaries have to say.

Even if Johnny said, "I'll never agree with him, but I'm not taking part in this public crucifixion either" - I think that would mean the world. I'm not giving your Joyce nonsense airtime.
My thoughts exactly! And let's not forget that both Joyce and Rourke have already given him these scraps by publicly saying he's not a racist. The only one missing is Marr, and I for one cannot understand why it is so hard for Marr to say these words. It must hurt him too. Is he afraid of the consequences?

My thoughts exactly! And let's not forget that both Joyce and Rourke have already given him these scraps by publicly saying he's not a racist. The only one missing is Marr, and I for one cannot understand why it is so hard for Marr to say these words. It must hurt him too. Is he afraid of the consequences?

If anyone really knew Morrissey, it was Marr. Maybe it's better Marr keep silent on what he knows. Lord knows he's kept silent on so many things about the Smiths, even when it cast himself in a bad light.

I know you weren't referring to a Smiths reunion.

And it's not nonsense about Joyce. It's the truth. In time you will see I'm right.

Isn't that pretty much what Johnny has said?

Why on earth would Johnny Marr get involved in the shitestorm? Why should he be expected to? He has retained a dignified position by only ever stating what he believes or does not believe. I don't believe (wild speculation) that he cares enough about Morrissey to comment. Morrissey is all but a ghost from his past. Johnny seems to be enjoying his life to the full at the moment and is a revered artist. I say "keep your distance, Johnny". Even if you did attempt to assist Morrissey he'd only f*** the whole thing up - as he did with The Smiths. Run. Run for your life!

If anyone really knew Morrissey, it was Marr. Maybe it's better Marr keep silent on what he knows. Lord knows he's kept silent on so many things about the Smiths, even when it cast himself in a bad light.

WTF?? Kept silent????:crazy:
:handpointright::guardsman::handpointleft: is a human gabfest FFS.
every 5 min hes on a silly podcast or silly C list webshow gabbing. gab gab gab..:censored:

Well, Johnny has now cemented a place in the mainstream as a media golden boy - without ever writing a solo song remotely as good as the Smiths. I don’t think he’d want to endanger that position. Morrissey always said Johnny was the one keen to appease and please people. That was the dynamic of the Smiths really: Morrissey was the eccentric outsider who provided the edginess; whereas Marr brought the more traditional rock and roll idea of “cool” to the band. Marr is very aware of his image - hence his passion for hair dye. I very much doubt he is voicing exactly what he thinks. Noel Gallagher has offered more support to Morrissey than Johnny!

God, another band I remember from that time was Blancmange? Anyone remember them? 'Living on the Ceiling'?

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom