Morrissey Central: Blue Rondo A La Turk

BLUE RONDO A LA TURK - Morrissey Central
July 8, 2019

full

"I liked them because they seemed two jumps ahead of everyone else. The mere sight of them suggested big league, but they didn't quite get that far. They were one of the very few groups that the Smiths supported, but there was a scepticism about them being just 'club models' … who asked and got. This was said also about very early Roxy Music … who appeared to be quite affluent before they'd even had a hit. With Blue Rondo, again, you suspected that they were given all of their fantastic suits for free whilst the rest of us had to dream of being able to buy SOMETHING that didn't look TOO abysmal. The main electric spark was their dancing which was very virile and athletic … and even though they came from the Blitz/Billy's scene they seemed like supermale prizefighters or nightclub heavies … deep-chested vocals, narrow-hipped, and very much a man's, man's, man's, man's world. I don't think a sudden tussle would trouble them in the least. But their songs were not about the curves of seductive women - or even about women … as if women might even lack some essential excitement. It's a safe bet that they couldn't stand the Smiths … me singing about not even a glimmer of adventure sex. But that was 1982 or, for me, 1947. Their companion Robert Elms described me as "Ena Sharples". I was actually flattered because Violet Carson, I thought, was extremely funny. You know how comedians or comic actors think that if they show lots of teeth people will think they're saying something hilarious … when of course they aren't? Well, Violet Carson kept her teeth well hidden. Maybe she had none? How did I get from Blue Rondo a la Turk to Violet Carson?
Oh. Well, Blue Rondo were a London band … which was obvious to us because they actually had shoes. I don't think their songs were as good as ours, but our shoes weren't as good as theirs, so, there we are.
They quickly went away and didn't return. I don't know if it's even possible to find their music anymore, but it certainly wouldn't hurt the ear. I think some of Blue Rondo were from the West Indies whereas of course all of the Smiths were born at the Manchester Scabies & Gripe Maternity Hospital."

Morrissey 7 July 2019, talking to himself (for … what choice?)

* sorry, I have no idea who took the above photograph.

Amusing musings from Moz about the first Smiths-support act.

Note posted by an anonymous person:

Actually, it was the other way around. The Smiths supported them. It was their first live show ever on 4 October 1982 at the Ritz.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, Johnny has now cemented a place in the mainstream as a media golden boy - without ever writing a solo song remotely as good as the Smiths. I don’t think he’d want to endanger that position. Morrissey always said Johnny was the one keen to appease and please people. That was the dynamic of the Smiths really: Morrissey was the eccentric outsider who provided the edginess; whereas Marr brought the more traditional rock and roll idea of “cool” to the band. Marr is very aware of his image - hence his passion for hair dye. I very much doubt he is voicing exactly what he thinks. Noel Gallagher has offered more support to Morrissey than Johnny!
Yes, that's true, and interestingly enough it's the first time since The Smiths' break-up that Johnny - in the UK at least - has a position equal to Moz. His solo career is finally thriving like never before and then there is this big Moz-controversy. He wants to stay away from that as fas as he can, and I understand that given the history.

On the other hand, Johnny is never going to be more succesful solo than he is now. He's proven himself on his own, he has a good band, made some fine albums, but I don't think his solo career is going anywhere.

And given his position he is probably the only one whose words would have a serious impact on both Moz and the general British public. The consequences could be great, I really do feel that, and it would open new horizons.

Yep folks,

It’s time for Marr to apologize

and get the Smiths back together.

But refuse to play in Soviet Britain

of course.

:cool:

God, another band I remember from that time was Blancmange? Anyone remember them? 'Living on the Ceiling'?

A superb band and still on the go, although Stephen left due to health reasons in 2011. Happy Familes is an astonishing debut.

Subtext(1) - "look over here...NOT THERE...over here"
Subtext(2) - When people liked me...
Subtext(3) - How did I f*** it up so badly?
Nurse!
Your psychiatrist would have a field day meandering through your internet contributions here. Imagine spending your twilight years whining and nitpicking over every Morrissey article/commentary 24/7? Do something constructive with this white knight fever brewing inside you, impregnated some ethnic totty, father a gazillion brown babies, donate your pension to an anti-racist charity. Anyone opposing your morality ain't gonna be swayed by your relentless ranting, and those that share your views, well you're already preaching to the choir, so that's redundant.
Doubt he can perform these days

Yes, that's true, and interestingly enough it's the first time since The Smiths' break-up that Johnny - in the UK at least - has a position equal to Moz. His solo career is finally thriving like never before and then there is this big Moz-controversy. He wants to stay away from that as fas as he can, and I understand that given the history.

On the other hand, Johnny is never going to be more succesful solo than he is now. He's proven himself on his own, he has a good band, made some fine albums, but I don't think his solo career is going anywhere.

And given his position he is probably the only one whose words would have a serious impact on both Moz and the general British public. The consequences could be great, I really do feel that, and it would open new horizons.

I'll go a step further and say that Johnny's current standing is indirectly helped by Morrissey's outburst alienating his Smiths fans. The more Moz alienates those fans, the more they turn to Johnny and appreciate his music, his steadfast politics and his positivity. On the other hand, Johnny has the goods - he is spectacular live and always seems to do and say the right things. For instance, Johnny is in the news today donating a shirt to charity - such a little thing, but more good PR.

I wouldn't say his solo career is going nowhere. All of his solo shows have sold out in the UK. His Glastonbury appearance with the Killers, for instance, the two songs have gotten a million and a half hits on YouTube. He'll be releasing some new music soon and continues to play festivals.

He's better off maintaining his current position on Morrissey which is basically, he doesn't agree with Moz' views and they have nothing to do with him.

I interpret this post of Morrissey's as a "f*** you" to Billy Bragg.

Bragg went at Moz with guns blazing and the next day, Morrissey responds with lighthearted nostalgic musings. This lets Bragg know that not only does Moz not consider his accusations worth responding to, the humorous tone lets Bragg know he is in good spirits and not particularly bothered by anything he said. Bragg was trying to provoke a response and he got the opposite of the one he was hoping for.

Well, Johnny has now cemented a place in the mainstream as a media golden boy - without ever writing a solo song remotely as good as the Smiths. I don’t think he’d want to endanger that position. Morrissey always said Johnny was the one keen to appease and please people. That was the dynamic of the Smiths really: Morrissey was the eccentric outsider who provided the edginess; whereas Marr brought the more traditional rock and roll idea of “cool” to the band. Marr is very aware of his image - hence his passion for hair dye. I very much doubt he is voicing exactly what he thinks. Noel Gallagher has offered more support to Morrissey than Johnny!

This is all true - but fame is fickle, isn't it? When Morrissey was 'comeback king' in 2004, selling out enormous shows with huge success - Johnny was all but forgotten and his Boomslang album had bombed. I remember a fan saying he'd done a signing where only half a dozen people turned up; he really had no profile except as a talking head on every "I Love the 80s" TV programme. That was Johnny's post-Smiths career for years and years, until he "came back" with Modest Mouse and now he's enjoying a spectacular second wind, whilst Moz takes his turn in the sin bin. Point is - Moz never tore the Healers apart from on high, though he could have done. And in the same way, Johnny knows better than to shit on M's head now and hope the wind won't change.

Absolutely. His words would weigh heavier than anyone else. One word of friendship now would mend a thousand bridges.

There speaks a true friend, there speaks a friend for life.
You told me all the things you think are wrong with me
I just wish you'd stayed around and helped me put them right...

Morrissey seems to be stuck in the past musically and mentally. I wouldn't care any less about his taste on music or anything else. He has been a pain in the neck in the last three years specially. I know many fans still support him, but I've got principles and a rather not to follow anymore a right-wing sympathiser. :crazy:

Yes. Absolutely agree. There was also the time around 89/91 when Morrissey was seen as rather musically passé and Johnny was in Electronic somewhat classlessly slagging him off in interviews.

In Stuart Maconie's review of Bona Drag from 1990, he says: "Morrissey currently enjoys a critical standing akin to a Saddam Hussein. Cat Stevens stands a better chance of getting a positive review than Moz these days. And woe betide the writer who has a good word for him."

It's almost forgotten now how low his stock was at that time. So, yes, it's cyclical and I have no doubt the wheel will turn again.

Fame is fickle:straightface:
I just found out that :handpointright::guardsman::handpointleft: has been reduced to having opened up
for those twats New Order.:worried:
what a catastrophe.:worried:

maybe Moz can throw him a bone,but first he has to apologize for his childish
attitude and find some better hair. and take guitar lessons:thumb:
then maybe he can do a 10 min set before Interpol.

Moz is a true cultural artist.

It would be great if he took these musings further and wrote a book about musical culture and culture in general throughout the years.

I'll go a step further and say that Johnny's current standing is indirectly helped by Morrissey's outburst alienating his Smiths fans. The more Moz alienates those fans, the more they turn to Johnny and appreciate his music, his steadfast politics and his positivity. On the other hand, Johnny has the goods - he is spectacular live and always seems to do and say the right things. For instance, Johnny is in the news today donating a shirt to charity - such a little thing, but more good PR.

I wouldn't say his solo career is going nowhere. All of his solo shows have sold out in the UK. His Glastonbury appearance with the Killers, for instance, the two songs have gotten a million and a half hits on YouTube. He'll be releasing some new music soon and continues to play festivals.

He's better off maintaining his current position on Morrissey which is basically, he doesn't agree with Moz' views and they have nothing to do with him.
Yes, he may sell out shows but how large are these venues? And on festivals he is on at 5 in the afternoon?
That's quite unlike the success Morrissey has achieved in the last decades.

Of course the Killers guest spot was sensational and that clearly delighted Moz, he even put Marr on his website for it. But it was a guest spot, let's not forget that.

And this is it really. I can't see him becoming more succesful as a solo artist than he is today. He is still much more of an ex-Smith than Morrissey ever was. All the fame and success he enjoys at the moment is because of The Smiths.

Yes, of course he should say that he clearly doesn't agree with Moz, but it would mean the world if he, like Joyce and Rourke, or even Brandon Flowers, would simply say a gentle tone of kindness or written words on paper - can you write? ;)

Absolutely. His words would weigh heavier than anyone else. One word of friendship now would mend a thousand bridges.

There speaks a true friend, there speaks a friend for life.
You told me all the things you think are wrong with me
I just wish you'd stayed around and helped me put them right...

Persinally I think Linda's are more valid or even Russell brand. It's interesting none of them are getting involved

Yes. Absolutely agree. There was also the time around 89/91 when Morrissey was seen as rather musically passé and Johnny was in Electronic somewhat classlessly slagging him off in interviews.

In Stuart Maconie's review of Bona Drag from 1990, he says: "Morrissey currently enjoys a critical standing akin to a Saddam Hussein. Cat Stevens stands a better chance of getting a positive review than Moz these days. And woe betide the writer who has a good word for him."

It's almost forgotten now how low his stock was at that time. So, yes, it's cyclical and I have no doubt the wheel will turn again.
Absolutely. Even during the Boxers-tour, one of my very favourite tours which saw Moz at perhaps his peak creatively, he was playing small venues and the general British public couldn't care less.

Good quote from Maconie. Could be used ever so perfectly in 2019.

I know you weren't referring to a Smiths reunion.

And it's not nonsense about Joyce. It's the truth. In time you will see I'm right.

Well, I'm intrigued. Is someone writing a book? About to spill the beans? I know Andy Rourke's been threatening to write his story for ages and I think so has Mike.

For those who missed the wonders of Boomslang first time round, here's Johnny at that time. Almost impossible to believe it's the same guy who just played at Glasto. Unrecognisable.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom