Morrissey collecting money for Joy Division

vaca peluda

Pissed Aunt Sally
I was at the Airborne Toxic Event concert last night and I was talking to this guy and he said that somebody had shown him a photograph, a polaroid to be precise, of Morrissey taking money for entry to see Joy Division.

It was taken in Manchester in the late 1970's and it was pre-quiff.

Can anybody vouch for this or have the photo? I'm interested to see it.

Regards,
hello indie

If true that could be my favarite photo of all time!

His opinion of them wasn't good so at least it's a valid opinion as he watched them live.

Let's see... eager kid, desperate to hear every band playing in town + free admission in exchange for helping out around a club? I can imagine that. It would be great to see. I think people forget who he was before he was Morrissey, and forget how much he knows about pop music. He should write a book about the Manchester scene right up until the Smiths formed. I suspect there's no one better qualified.

I grew up around old Manchester music cats who saw a lot of pre-Manchester music heros and this is the first I've heard S.P Morrissey and Joy. D linked together like this.

Every aspiring musician was a desperado in those days from Morrissey to Vini Riley so I suppose it could be true as they all huddled together and in a way supported each other.

His opinion of them wasn't good so at least it's a valid opinion as he watched them live.

Lainey - hope your well!!

When did he say that he didn't like them? I thought he would empathize with Ian if nothing else?

Re: For your interest

Hence why I've asked for a photo. I'm hoping some old timers will be on here and can vouch for it.

Lainey - hope your well!!

When did he say that he didn't like them? I thought he would empathize with Ian if nothing else?

hiya, how's things?
I think he saw them live and said they left him cold, as flat as pancakes to be precise.

I know that he didn't like them but if Tony Wilson was snooping around ready to sign them then surely Morrissey would of been lingering around somewhere.... regardless of whether he liked their music or not.

Morley, Diggle ... They all said that he was everywhere where music was in Manchester and used to throw things at him when he was walking down the street in his New York Dolls clobber!

I think a lot of Morrissey's dislike of Joy Division stems from the Tony Wilson rejection of

Moz having what it took to be a singer, Icon.. I wouldn't be suprised if he hadn't watched them though..

Anyway, where's the shot?

And more; I know Morrissey liked of Echo and Bunnymen, although he denys this.

Anyway, where's the shot?

:rolleyes:

You could've asked politely.

You only come here to ask something from others, is there any chance of your contributions?
Highly doubtful about the photo which won't be posted in here.

Last edited:
:rolleyes:

You could've asked politely.

You only come here to ask something from others, is there any chance of your contributions?

Sorry..

If I have something to post I always post.
I know that's almost impossible this shot be post in here.

I won't talk anymore...

Delete the post or whatever it is you do.... I only wanted to see if it was true and if anybody had it.

Hence why I've asked for a photo. I'm hoping some old timers will be on here and can vouch for it.

Delete the post or whatever it is you do.... I only wanted to see if it was true and if anybody had it.

hey im with you if its about i would like to see it , i suspect if its a ploaroid then it will be a one off owned by the person who showed you it

its very plausable so i belive you :thumb:

Oh well, it was worth the try. I think I'll see the bloke again in Manchester because he said he'll be going to see Julian Plenti and so will I. I'll hunt him down and ask him if he could photocopy it for me.

Thanks anyway!

Back
Top Bottom