Morrissey Contact info?

Honey, nobody knows. Your best bet is to buy a ticket to a gig, wait in the queue so you make the front row, and put it in his hand yourself. That's the only way.

Yes, it seems that's the best bet. But this thread reminds me of an incident known as the Chicago hoax back around '98, just after the 1997 tour, where some malicious prankster who had backstage access got a hold of notes fans handed to Morrissey.

The prankster contacted the fans and told them that Morrissey was so personally touched by their letters that he wanted them to come to Chicago where a video would be shot for the next single. Ecstatic fans booked flights and hotels, only to find out later that it was a hoax. :tears: I heard some heads rolled after that, but still, I stopped handing him notes at shows because of the hoax, probably much to Mozzer's relief.

Here's an old story about Mozzer's response to the Chicago hoax I posted over a decade ago:

I gave Morrissey an envelope with cards and little gifts. I also gave him a tiny gold ballotin of Godiva chocolates. Even the chocolate seller at the Godiva shop was a Morrissey fan! She recommended this box first. I agreed that it was just the thing as we chatted about Morrissey's concerts. I didn't want to haul around a huge box to Albuquerque, and I was fairly certain that it would be thrown away. Fellow apostle Alex told me that she had seen the gifts fans gave to Morrissey at the signings on the east coast a few years ago in the dumpster behind Morrissey's hotel. She also reported this sad sighting to a major Morrissey fanzine. I wasn't surprised. What was Morrissey going to do with the equivalent of a Rosebowl parade float of dying, wilting flowers? If he even ate just half of the sweets presented to him at one signing, he'd probably either blow up like Violet Beauregard or fall into a sugar coma. I could also understand the problem of shipping and storing all those gifts as he went from city to city on the signing tour. I just wished that whoever disposed of the gifts did it more discreetly. I believe Alex, but who knows, maybe Morrissey wanted to keep all the stuff given by fans while his staff might've thought, "It's too much trouble. What he doesn't know about, he won't miss. Let's just toss the lot into the rubbish bin."

So when I handed Morrissey the little gold box of chocolates I gently implored, "Please don't throw these away." Morrissey seemed slightly taken aback and protested, "Oh, I would never!" Even though he seemed quite sincere, I felt I had to ask him and hear it from him. I responded with, "That's not what I heard. A friend told me about seeing the gifts fans gave you in the dumpster behind your hotel." He wanted to know which hotel this was. I told him I did not know but that it was possibly in Boston. I said that my friend Alex had followed him to every signing on the east coast and reported seeing the gifts in the garbage. He said he didn't remember and that he doesn't believe it. I mischievously challenged, "Are you calling her a liar?" He retorted with a cheeky smile, "No, I'm calling you a liar!" I smiled and laughed a bit, admitting that his response was fair considering mine.

Charmed as I was, the pitbull in me couldn't let go. If he doesn't throw away precious tokens he gets from fans, how did the Chicago hoax happen? So I asked him if he knew about the Chicago hoax. He admitted that he had heard of it but did not know much of the details. I felt the pressure of everyone around me urging me to get going, so I really couldn't finish explaining though Morrissey seemed quite keen to hear more about it.

<edited for length>​
Still feeling cowed and rushed, I asked for a quick photo with Morrissey. I raced around the table to Morrissey's side and stood by him. He still wanted to discuss the Chicago hoax. He asked me if the letters involved were just tossed onto the stage. I was hesitant to tell him and just wanted to get on with photos after being stung by Klein's remark. I stopped posing, turned to Morrissey and told him that most of the victims said that they had directly handed their letters to Morrissey whereupon they saw him stuffing these letters into his pockets.

He looked genuinely pained by this information. It seems that this was the first time he's heard these sorts of details. I was thinking, "Oh no! I've offended Morrissey! Damn it, he's going to look dead glum in these photos with me." I regretted bringing up the whole dumpster/Chicago hoax business. I had my left arm around him and squeezed him around his left bicep, trying to comfort him. I said, "Oh, I'm sorry for telling you things which make you sad. Don't worry about it." I worried that what I said wasn't very convincing.

But then the cameras clicked, and he shook off his troubled expression quickly.

For your trouble and patience if you got all the way to this point, attached is a piccy of Moz looking not-so-glum with some pasty-faced hag at his side.

I also wanted to give you a heads up not to make it more than 2 pages long, maybe even 1 page is the limit. He is easily bored. What will you write that's different from "I love you, Morrissey...your lyrics inspire me...you saved my life...you said more in one day than most people say in a lifetime"?

Yes, it seems that's the best bet. But this thread reminds me of an incident known as the Chicago hoax back around '98, just after the 1997 tour, where some malicious prankster who had backstage access got a hold of notes fans handed to Morrissey.

oh wow i had never heard about that hoax before. that was a really interesting story :eek::(
i mean i could imagine him reading most of the letters that are handed to him, but what would someone do with so many crumpled up letters once they've been read?

Morrissey's pained expression must have been because he was wondering how long you were going to moan on with your complaints. I'd have retired years ago if I had to deal with fans like that.

All Me Needs Is Moz

Morrissey's pained expression must have been because he was wondering how long you were going to moan on with your complaints. I'd have retired years ago if I had to deal with fans like that.

You must be right because you were there and know exactly what's going on in Mozzer's mind.

All me needs is Moz. I realised this when recounting how Moz pointed at me every time he sang the verse "You're gonna miss me when I'm gone" at a certain show.

And then at the Ferguson taping, he faced me (I was placed in an awkward spot which was unnatural for him to face for so long, so it must've been deliberate) during much of AYNIM. What should I make of that? But he did wave, smile, and point at me before taping as if he were pleased to see me. I guess that's why he's still not retired -- he obviously loves the bitching and moaning fans. :p :D

We don't like him, but we love him. Either way we're wrong.

And he's so sick of my moaning and complaining that he's given the mic to me at almost every show I've been to since mid-2007.

Ok, I know, he just loves to set me up to take the piss. :o That's fine. I'm pleased to entertain so many people and to be honoured to set Morrissey up for one of his famously witty put-downs. :D

oh wow i had never heard about that hoax before. that was a really interesting story :eek::(
i mean i could imagine him reading most of the letters that are handed to him, but what would someone do with so many crumpled up letters once they've been read?

Glad you thought it was interesting. It was sad for me because personal friends were victims of that hoax.

What should one do with so many crumpled letters after reading? Burn them! Or maybe like Maxwell Smart or somesuch bumbling operative, he could eat the message. Hopefully they won't explode! He probably feeds the paper shredder most of the time.

I assumed he threw away most of the stuff he receives (including the stuff I give him), so I was astonished to hear him dreg up a detail of a photograph that I gave to him years ago. He must have a memory like a steel trap.

Re: All Me Needs Is Moz

You must be right because you were there and know exactly what's going on in Mozzer's mind.

All me needs is Moz. I realised this when recounting how Moz pointed at me every time he sang the verse "You're gonna miss me when I'm gone" at a certain show.

And then at the Ferguson taping, he faced me (I was placed in an awkward spot which was unnatural for him to face for so long, so it must've been deliberate) during much of AYNIM. What should I make of that? But he did wave, smile, and point at me before taping as if he were pleased to see me. I guess that's why he's still not retired -- he obviously loves the bitching and moaning fans. :p :D

We don't like him, but we love him. Either way we're wrong.

And he's so sick of my moaning and complaining that he's given the mic to me at almost every show I've been to since mid-2007.

Ok, I know, he just loves to set me up to take the piss. :o That's fine. I'm pleased to entertain so many people and to be honoured to set Morrissey up for one of his famously witty put-downs. :D

Is that you on the pic? If so - why are the eyes blacked out? :(

Re: All Me Needs Is Moz

Is that you on the pic? If so - why are the eyes blacked out? :(

I'm not easy on the eyes. :o Actually, there's nothing structurally wrong with my face, but I've always felt ugly.

But who cares about some pasty-faced fan with a complex? Look at that beautiful man in the prime of his life there!! :D

Tags
comandeered
Back
Top Bottom