"Morrissey inks memoir deal with Penguin Classics" - The Guardian

Link posted by intlplayboy / Tumblr:

Morrissey inks memoir deal with Penguin Classics
- The Guardian

Waterstones predicts the Smiths frontman's forthcoming Autobiography will be a top seller at Christmas

Excerpt:

Although the book has been a long time coming, a representative for Waterstones, Jon Howells, predicts that the memoir will be a success this Christmas: "He's a contrary, controversial character, and his is arguably the most interesting untold story yet to emerge from the 80s generation of British music heroes. The announcement may have not been as smooth as the publisher would have hoped, but ultimately fans just want to read it, and we expect Autobiography to be one of this Christmas's top sellers at Waterstones."

While Penguin Classics is usually an imprint for work by long-beloved (and long-dead) members of the literary canon, the publishing house is a "natural fit" for Morrissey, a Penguin spokesperson said in 2011. With the Independent reporting that the contract "hinged" on whether the memoir would be declared a Classic, Penguin's rep explained: "[It] could be published as a Penguin Classic because it is a classic in the making."

See also:

Morrissey's autobiography: design your own front cover - The Guardian. Link posted by Uncleskinny.

Morrissey's memoir now has a confirmed release date – but can you create a better cover for it than the official Penguin design?

Nazi or not, Hugo Boss... is there really a chap named Hugo Boss? I thought my parents gave me a ludicrous name! (Karl Lagerfeld is still a murderer. It had to be typed.)

yes there is a man named Hugo Boss who was around the beginning [Hitler lost 3 times, or gotten less %, to be in de German Parlement, 1 time but got 3% off all votes]
around 1930/35, he was around by a 1rst war veteran ' Von Ludendorf', and industrial Thyssen, don't know what Hugo Boss part was, or
have connections with the current Hugo Boss manifacturie.

Saw a bit yesterday on National Geographic, the beginning of Hitler, but than zapped to cycling classic in Italy and our flying Dutchman
Epke Zonderland at the worldchampiongames gymnastics

'and they say he's mentall'' ...one or Joop...

Last edited:
I actually agree with you and I am not trying to be an ass, but didn't Morrissey write (and publish?) two books before he was in The Smiths? One on James Dean and another on the New York Dolls. Obviously, that doesn't elevate him to Penguin Classic status and I am as baffled as anyone by how this happened (perhaps someone at Penguin shares Morrissey's sense of humor?) and am still waiting to see if this really is the case.

I'd be curious to know if anyone here has read either of his books and what they think of them.

Yeah, that's why I said "really a first time author". Morrissey disowns them, and they were both like short essay pamphlets. Interesting nevertheless.

And it IS really the case, it's on the Penguin website! But yeah, I still won't completely shake off the feeling until I have it in my hands.

yes there is a man named Hugo Boss who was around the beginning [Hitler lost 3 times, or gotten less %, to be in de German Parlement, 1 time but got 3% off all votes]
around 1930/35, he was around by a 1rst war veteran ' Von Ludendorf', and industrial Thyssen, don't know what Hugo Boss part was, or
have connections with the current Hugo Boss manifacturie.

Saw a bit yesterday on National Geographic, the beginning of Hitler, but than zapped to cycling classic in Italy and our flying Dutchman
Epke Zonderland at the worldchampiongames gymnastics

'and they say he's mentall'' ...one or Joop...

Now I know less about him than I did before I read that post, but gracias all the same.

It's bad enough having to figure out if a label uses fur/cruelty, but now I have to hunt for Nazis, too? Also... Levi's jeans aren't American made anymore. What's a girl to do? My sequin miniskirt is running out of sequins. (You people have no idea what it's like to track down non-leather heels in a man's size 13!)

Russell Brand is successful? Where? What has he produced of lasting cultural worth?

mmmm. Himself? ah no hang on his mum produced him :)

In a nutshell...He looked like a very chubby Elvis when he was a kid. So I'll go with the reincarnation hypothesis. There's also the fact he's currently dating someone who knew Princess Di. He's probably like six degrees of separation away from a commemorative mug. That's highly cultural.

And I personally think he writes noice. And is not unpleasant to listen to. I like how he occasionally uses complicated words to confuse and seduce young American singers, for instance. (Although it didn't end well, so he shouldn't of, really.)

His only cultural faux-pas was to drive Katy close to suicide. As I happen to think of the song "Teenage Dream", as a cultural landmark. Much more so than say, - well, that one, that one, and those as well.

There you go. :)

The critics will have the knives out for him already because he has claimed the Penguin Classics label. We shall see I love him, but even I think he has big shoes to fill, De Montaigne, Oscar Wilde, Flaubert.

I actually like the idea of the paperback. That's perfect reading material for me. Moz probably knows we've already seen a million pix of him, but paperbacks can have photos too. However, to avoid out of pocket expenses I'll probably have to get the iTunes version because I win so many iTunes gift certificates, but I would rather read the paperback.

I'm not sure I heard the Front Row interview. Where can I d/l it?

The strange thing about the whole "Penguin Classics" thing is that it was obviously a joke by Morrissey. If you listen to the Front Row interview he chuckles away at it. It seems somewhere along the line he thought "yeah why not, let's see this joke through to the end" and went with it, and like most of Morrissey's sarcastic tone, it has gone over the heads of many. It's also mad because it means Penguin are releasing it as an 8.99 paperback, rather than as a 16.99 hardback with photos like most memoirs are published.

I mean, not even in the Modern Classics. The actual Penguin Classics, among Sappho and Aeschylus. Every other Penguin Classic has an Author Chronology - a full one because they've all lived and died as the books are usually centuries old - and a long academic introduction. But in this case? How can there be an introduction outlining the history and critical interpretations to a 21st Century memoir by a guy who's really a first time author? It's lunacy they agreed, it baffles me.

Now I know less about him than I did before I read that post, but gracias all the same.

It's bad enough having to figure out if a label uses fur/cruelty, but now I have to hunt for Nazis, too? Also... Levi's jeans aren't American made anymore. What's a girl to do? My sequin miniskirt is running out of sequins. (You people have no idea what it's like to track down non-leather heels in a man's size 13!)

well here in the Netherlands they gonna do a new trial about the time Nazi's also ruled the Netherlands, the 6 were convicted after
1945 when the Nazi regime was beaten.

Here in the Neterlands, they call them' the 6 of Breda' [de 6 van Breda]
they had lifetime, but as I remeber they let he last 2 of 3 out, old and wated to die on German soil, and say goodbye to their family, friends.

Now it seems the trial was not really neutral, and do it over again

That's the impact the Nazi regime still has as history in west europe though I aplaud how the Germans got of that
scapegoat image and after some time got respect all over the world, they are european leading economy

'and they say he's mentall' ... mute witness...

Should have waited the price has gone down again on amazon.

I wonder if the 'content disagreement' had to do with infamous "Your Arse An'All" or the '45' Single Taped On To The Unit" photo sessions?

I wonder if the 'content disagreement' had to do with infamous "Your Arse An'All" or the '45' Single Taped On To The Unit" photo sessions?

Well, given that the "A side" and the "B side" were aimed at two wholly different people and that they both like penguins, I don't see how that could have been a problem?

I think the culprit is Johnny Marr, given his notorious fear of palmipeds.
..."When in doubt, blame Johnny Marr" is my new motto.(-disapproving frown-).

I bet the whole book is Moz comparing how successful he has been compared to the mainstream commercial artists. Then the publisher was like, "Moz, can you write about anything besides how you sold out venues faster than the Beatles did and how your fans adore you more than Madonna's fans even like her?"

And Moz was like, "Uh, no. This book is a classic."

We'll be waiting to see you proved wrong for the umpteenth time. Ludicrous conceit? Shareholders revolt? Penguin brand compromised? Believe it or not, there are some people who are not so po-faced and literal as you (thank God!). We don't all take everything so seriously. You're a prize troll, BB, and the absolute definition of irrelevance.

Check out today's newspapers. You'll see that my analysis is, once again, being reflected in 'serious' newspapers:

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/b...sic-penguin-has-destroyed-its-own-reputation/

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-e...classics-sinks-in-the-ship-canal-8871847.html

Morrissey is the prize troll and it's very funny that you think I'm an "irrelevance". If you only knew who I was...if only I knew!

Now fcuk off back to masturbating over your Morrissey LPs and leave the thinking to the real intellectuals like me, not Morrissey. Jayzus! What a deluded cult of idiotic fcuks. Imagine having to go out every night and face you prats? Imagine going back to your hotel to think "oh, so they're what my life amounts to?" Wasn't meant to turn out like this, but we often create our own realities, unwittingly? Viva Hate? Good luck with that one, son.

regards, BB

"po-faced and literal" that's almost a neat review of "Autobiography" but the defining one may well be "po-faced poseur, who appears to be stylistically insane"

I actually agree with you and I am not trying to be an ass, but didn't Morrissey write (and publish?) two books before he was in The Smiths? One on James Dean and another on the New York Dolls. Obviously, that doesn't elevate him to Penguin Classic status and I am as baffled as anyone by how this happened (perhaps someone at Penguin shares Morrissey's sense of humor?) and am still waiting to see if this really is the case.

I'd be curious to know if anyone here has read either of his books and what they think of them.

Yes, read them. they're rubbish, but he was young then, there's no excuse now
he tried to have them all burned, pupled, never printed again, issuing fatwas to his cult fans not to read them because he's so horrified by them. he'll be blaming Penguin once he reads the reviews..

Check out today's newspapers. You'll see that my analysis is, once again, being reflected in 'serious' newspapers:

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/b...sic-penguin-has-destroyed-its-own-reputation/

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-e...classics-sinks-in-the-ship-canal-8871847.html

Morrissey is the prize troll and it's very funny that you think I'm an "irrelevance". If you only knew who I was...if only I knew!

Now fcuk off back to masturbating over your Morrissey LPs and leave the thinking to the real intellectuals like me, not Morrissey. Jayzus! What a deluded cult of idiotic fcuks. Imagine having to go out every night and face you prats? Imagine going back to your hotel to think "oh, so they're what my life amounts to?" Wasn't meant to turn out like this, but we often create our own realities, unwittingly? Viva Hate? Good luck with that one, son.

regards, BB

"po-faced and literal" that's almost a neat review of "Autobiography" but the defining one may well be "po-faced poseur, who appears to be stylistically insane"
Yey! Brummie is back and this time it's PERSONAL.

Yey! Brummie is back and this time it's PERSONAL.

hello Peterb, hope all's well

he's certainly getting some serious reviews for his opus, classic, lulz diatribe on steroids which isn't even ironic humour like 99% of what I write, loike!

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/2313...ers-come-out-in-full-force-after-scratch.html

final episode of series 1 of Peaky Blinders on Thurs then at midnight plus 10mins, the phone starts melting with folk asking for a review...*wink*

hello Peterb, hope all's well

he's certainly getting some serious reviews for his opus, classic, lulz diatribe on steroids which isn't even ironic humour like 99% of what I write, loike!

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/2313...ers-come-out-in-full-force-after-scratch.html

final episode of series 1 of Peaky Blinders on Thurs then at midnight plus 10mins, the phone starts melting with folk asking for a review...*wink*
I've been watching Peaky Blinders. What do you think of it?
(and who betrayed Freddie Thorn?)

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom