Morrissey interview in ABC Color (Paraguay)

Does anyone actually know if he is non-domiciled for UK tax purposes? No....

Not that it's relevant for a performer, tax is paid in the country where the income was earned. What else are we spouting?

This is arguable. Well, sort of.

But the thing is Morrissey also believes, for example, that a free person shouldn't have to work for a living if they don't want to. It's difficult to see how you can have it both ways.

Ask Prince Harry or Máximo Kirchner (son of Argentinian President). The same sh.t with different envelope

Does anyone actually know if he is non-domiciled for UK tax purposes? No....

Not that it's relevant for a performer, tax is paid in the country where the income was earned. What else are we spouting?

He says that he spends most of his time in Switzerland. There's a reason for that, and it isn't the cheese.

You're point about tax is just wrong. Provided Morrissey makes sure he doesn't stay in any country other than Switzerland for long enough to be liable for income tax, he will only have to pay it in Switzerland, where it will be a few thousand pounds regardless of how much he earns.

except for not being a heroin addict and junkie, there really is not much difference between the gypsy lifestyle of Morrissey and the late Chet Baker, both live / lived out of suitcases from hotel to hotel, always on tour

Don't people read posts properly? I already said that, yes, Moz said in a recent interview that he spents most of his time in Switzerland but in the very next interview he said that he spents most of his time in the US. So what is true? He doesn't want us to know. Apart from that, how much time is left to spent time anywhere when he is not touring? When was he in Switzerland this year when you don't count the show he played there? And, again, he said on stage in Chile that he is searching something permanent right now. Do you have to search for something you already have?

he decide to assume residence in Switzerland by throwing a dart at map thats for sure.
the mozbot apologetics are insane. now it turns out the poor in the uk benefit from moz tax avoidance.

Don't people read posts properly? I already said that, yes, Moz said in a recent interview that he spents most of his time in Switzerland but in the very next interview he said that he spents most of his time in the US(1). So what is true? He doesn't want us to know. Apart from that, how much time is left to spent time anywhere when he is not touring?(2) When was he in Switzerland this year when you don't count the show he played there? And, again, he said on stage in Chile that he is searching something permanent right now (3). Do you have to search for something you already have?

1 Two countries which have very accommodating tax regimes for those with great wealth.

2 We may find this out if he does not get another record deal.

3 Don't be surprised if its not somewhere with a political system that believes in redistributing wealth.
I don't think he'd move to the UK if Jeremy Corbyn gets elected.

Don't people read posts properly? I already said that, yes, Moz said in a recent interview that he spents most of his time in Switzerland but in the very next interview he said that he spents most of his time in the US. So what is true?

In terms of tax, I don't think it matters much. He only needs to spend 30 or 90 days in Switzerland to get tax residency there (depending on whether he declares Swiss income or funnels it through a company). Then, by having a home in Switzerland and no home in the US, he gets to stay up to six months in the US without having to pay tax there.

For what it's worth, I have a more forgiving take on this than I do some other things he has done. First, I think he is entitled to any money he can earn and to minimize his "job" to "poncing about onstage" doesn't make me think less of him. I envy that. And the record industry made sure to squeeze ever coin twice before he got the first hint of what he was owed. He is in a business run by criminals and literal cutthroats, and he deserves ever dollar/pound he can see from it.
As far as avoiding paying taxes, I can justify it by calculating how much he might have to pay if he were to live in UK and not use any accounting trickery to pay less than he is "supposed to" and then calculating what that would really be spent on. It would be great if they gave you a checklist and you could choose to feed poor children, buy eyeglasses for grandmas, have music and art programs in the schools, investigate child molestation cases, find out how Jimmy Savile got away with it for all those years, or whatever you think is important. If you happen to want to buy aircraft carriers, that's fine, too but everyone gets to choose. Preposterous, I know, that you would have some say about the money you earn and give to the government.
Morrissey does give a lot away. All musicians do. They get a very poor deal even on the records sold, but what about the ones played on youtube, or the radio, or all the music recorded by the crowd that is downloaded for free. His work can be duplicated and enjoyed by as many people as want it. Even official recordings are leaked before they are released. If you are a gardener or a doctor no one can steal your work. If your neighbor has a heart operation you can't copy his operation and have your own for free.
I really don't begrudge anyone not paying taxes, and I think if no one did those in power would soon have a major change of attitude about who is actually in charge.
I think it's perfectly acceptable not to pay taxes and to still have opinions about how tax dollars are spent.
He might be a xenophobe, or a racist, and he might use tragedies to make insincere gestures in an attempt to sell some records, but on the subject of money and taxes, I can't fault him.

I think he mentioned that (very good) Carson McCullers book in another interview a few years ago.

That must have escaped me, but I have been wondering about her since she was mentioned in that Mojo review. Guess I'll have to get my hands on a copy of The Heart... now!

That must have escaped me, but I have been wondering about her since she was mentioned in that Mojo review. Guess I'll have to get my hands on a copy of The Heart... now!

most of her writing is worth tracking down

Right. A multi-millionaire celebrity is complaining that the UK's system of taxation perpetuates inequity? (Post-Thatcher, it does, but that's beside the point.) Surely, it ill behoves a man who has amassed a personal fortune amounting, purportedly, to about $30 million - for doing no more than poncing about on a stage - to complain about economic injustice.

in this context, though, it makes perfect sense that he would rail against the aristocracy, as opposed to the dominant cause of inequity in British society (from which he, personally, he profits excessively): free-market capitalism.

What's stopping you from "poncing about on a stage?"
One thing is sure though. This site attracts a lot of jealous people who come here to attend their daily group therapy. Your are NOT his FANS, so bugger off. If you were, you would want him to prosper; you would not be jealous of his houses, hotel accommodations, Jaguar, his eyes, etc.... Where the hell do you want him to live? In a trailer park? Stay at the Best Western, so that he might bump into you? A$$holes.

"Oh, I don't want
to be judged anymore
I don't wnat to be judged
I would sooner be Loved
I would sooner be
just blindly Loved...
"

:thumb: don't we all !

Nobody's denying him an opinion, or the right to voice his opinion, but the rest of us are equally entitled to express our opinion about him too. He's a multi-millionaire pop star who publicly complains about the economic injustice of the prevailing social order, despite the fact that he is unnecessarily and unjustifiably wealthy only because of that order. And then he shamelessly condemns royalty.

As for the question of why people feel entitled to "bemoan what a singer does with his money": British society is profoundly unequal and many of the problems associated with that could be very largely ameliorated were it not for the fact that stinking rich people like Morrissey avoid taxation that the rest of us are subject to.

He's a f***ing hypocrite - wake up.

The only thing that needs to 'wake up' is your sense of scale and proportion.
Firstly, you ascribe a behaviour and intent behind a singer's choice of where to live. That is utter garbage in a Europe (and world) with freedom of movement. He is not beholding to the tax payers of the UK simply because you feel he should be. Living one place and moving thereafter doesn't mean you are a bad person or cunningly planing tax evasion. He can live where he likes. If you, Mr.Anon, moved to Germany tomorrow, would you send money to the UK to make up for the loss of tax the UK suffered as a result of you moving?
Secondly, your hierarchy of seriousness is skewed.
The Pope, Queen, almost any world leader or religious one etc have wealthy, comfortable lives many times over and above that of a singer.
They have real 'concerns' for the poor yet live incredibly well. That is serious hypocrisy. Moz, in the great scheme of things, is not.
Your venom would be better spent shouting hypocrite at the Vatican window.
Again, now you've labelled him to frame your dislike of him -
so what?
No regards at all,
A very awake - FWD

Last edited:
most of her writing is worth tracking down

written by Carson McCullers....

' THE MEMBER OF THE WEDDING '

Wonderful film! , starring the amazing Julie Harris ! 1952

One of M's favorite films... This is just a clip... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elIgGbx4j3U

But they just don't make actors like this anymore. If you get a chance, worth tracking down.

Julie Harris later played in the film 'East of Eden' (1955) with some other.... two actors can't remember their names at the moment...;)

Last edited:
written by Carson McCullers....

' THE MEMBER OF THE WEDDING '

Wonderful film! , staring the amazing Julie Harris ! 1952

One of M's favorite films... This is just a clip... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elIgGbx4j3U

But they just don't make actors like this anymore. If you get a chance, worth tracking down.

Julie Harris later played in 'East of Eden' with some other two actors can't remember their names at the moment...;)

ill give it a try as ive not seen it or heard of it. aaron was so beautiful in that movie

taxes pay for the dole and all the social programs. when he complains about taxes its all about the rich taking the hit specifically his own self. eliminating taxes or decreasing them is what widens the gap between the social classes.
the only class moz cares about is his best friend his own self.

You should listen Nobody Loves Us. Still you should know the fact about english people that is when you are born working class you die working class. Its a lot like DNA. No problem if someones lives in hatred but living into idiocy is sad and annoying. Hate needs brain too and you seem not having even the head for that brain i am talking about. Morrissey is to blame even for the Capitalism? Pretty pathetic darling...

He says that he spends most of his time in Switzerland. There's a reason for that, and it isn't the cheese.

You're point about tax is just wrong. Provided Morrissey makes sure he doesn't stay in any country other than Switzerland for long enough to be liable for income tax, he will only have to pay it in Switzerland, where it will be a few thousand pounds regardless of how much he earns.

Go on and finish your thinking. Morrissey is the cause for the Global Economic Crisis nowadays eh?

is there anything at all moz can say or that you bots wont jump and apologize for? if he robbed a bank you all would say banks are bad so it was good moz robbed them. all banks are there for the robbing except where moz keeps his money.
what is it that moz can do that would object to>? steal a freight train?

unbelievable, he runs at the mouth about poverty and class and jiggles every country in the world just for him not to pay his fair share like everyone else.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom