Morrissey interview in ABC Color (Paraguay)

In terms of tax, I don't think it matters much. He only needs to spend 30 or 90 days in Switzerland to get tax residency there (depending on whether he declares Swiss income or funnels it through a company). Then, by having a home in Switzerland and no home in the US, he gets to stay up to six months in the US without having to pay tax there.

Sue Moz! Arrest Moz! Kill Moz! Hello Robert Smith! Go eat your bacon away from here! Oh darling you smell...

hes cheap and doesnt want to pay taxes. thats all there is to it and has disdain towards the proletariat ffs he lives in luxury 5 star hotels. i doubt he mixes with the help.

why would he want to have the prime ministers assassinated? they were elected democratically and what hes asking for is criminal. that is pretty despicable.

hahahahahahahaha!!! You need a straitjacket immediately darling... Do you ever read what you write? Delete your post now. Embarrassment is a compliment in your case...

I don't like when Morrissey comments on Brit Social and Economic life. He is so far removed from England living in Malibu and shopping at the Glendale Galleria. When was the last time he slept overnight in England without the bed being in a hotel...1984? Anonymous-

I think the fact Morrissey is a multi-millionaire and is angry on behalf of the poor is amazing. Nobody else gives a shit. I think people are becoming more and more aware that the battle going on is not between black and white, left and right,men and women, gays and straights,Islam and Christianity. These are distractions from the real fight for survival which is actually between rich and poor. By addressing this Morrissey is doing a lot. He doesn't have to give a shit.Bono would never say this and he is seen as a hero. We should all try to pay as little tax as possible.We should all try to have as little to do with the corrupt system as possible.We all know over 90% of the wealth in the world is owned by about 5% of the population and yet Morrissey is an insane conspiracy theorist? Does this not make any of you think there is something really twisted and evil going on?

You are wasting your time my friend. There are people in here who listened to ΅World Peace Is None Of Your Business΅ and explained it as ΅Morrissey mocking the poor. Braindead motherf***ers. Leave them alone in their lowness...

- - - Updated - - -

I think the fact Morrissey is a multi-millionaire and is angry on behalf of the poor is amazing. Nobody else gives a shit. I think people are becoming more and more aware that the battle going on is not between black and white, left and right,men and women, gays and straights,Islam and Christianity. These are distractions from the real fight for survival which is actually between rich and poor. By addressing this Morrissey is doing a lot. He doesn't have to give a shit.Bono would never say this and he is seen as a hero. We should all try to pay as little tax as possible.We should all try to have as little to do with the corrupt system as possible.We all know over 90% of the wealth in the world is owned by about 5% of the population and yet Morrissey is an insane conspiracy theorist? Does this not make any of you think there is something really twisted and evil going on?

You are wasting your time my friend. There are people in here who listened to ΅World Peace Is None Of Your Business΅ and explained it as ΅Morrissey mocking the poor. Braindead motherf***ers. Leave them alone in their lowness...

You should listen Nobody Loves Us. Still you should know the fact about english people that is when you are born working class you die working class. Its a lot like DNA. No problem if someones lives in hatred but living into idiocy is sad and annoying. Hate needs brain too and you seem not having even the head for that brain i am talking about. Morrissey is to blame even for the Capitalism? Pretty pathetic darling...

A person's position in the class structure is an inherent, primordial characteristic, like DNA? No, it isn't. Shut up, you f***ing idiot.

Go on and finish your thinking. Morrissey is the cause for the Global Economic Crisis nowadays eh?

He's a tax exile. That's all. It's up to you whether you think it's acceptable or not.

You should listen Nobody Loves Us. Still you should know the fact about english people that is when you are born working class you die working class. Its a lot like DNA. No problem if someones lives in hatred but living into idiocy is sad and annoying. Hate needs brain too and you seem not having even the head for that brain i am talking about. Morrissey is to blame even for the Capitalism? Pretty pathetic darling...

like DNA? are you totally insane? talking such bollocks defending moz who hasnt worked a day in his life yet lives large?

I don't like when Morrissey comments on Brit Social and Economic life. He is so far removed from England living in Malibu and shopping at the Glendale Galleria. When was the last time he slept overnight in England without the bed being in a hotel...1984? Anonymous-

You can do anything with your life -for better or worst- but you can't deny your blood and you can't forget the place where you grew up. Irish Blood, English Heart. I think he cares a lot about England. I understand that feeling.

No, you're wrong, being a non-dom doesn't mean you pay no tax at all in any country other than your domicile. It just means you don't pay income tax on worldwide income and gains which are not remitted to the UK (for example).

If Morrissey performs concerts in the UK, sells CDs in the UK, he pays.

No, you're wrong, being a non-dom doesn't mean you pay no tax at all in any country other than your domicile. It just means you don't pay income tax on worldwide income and gains which are not remitted to the UK (for example).

If Morrissey performs concerts in the UK, sells CDs in the UK, he pays.

Morrissey isn't a non-dom. That's a special tax status for wealthy immigrants to the UK. What he is is non-resident, meaning he isn't liable for any UK tax on his income.

If he sells a CD or a concert ticket in the UK, any non-exempt income he makes (royalties are probably exempt, although I haven't checked) will, in principle, be taxable in Switzerland. However, he can avoid this tax by having the income go through a business account ("Morrissey Ltd" or whatever) rather than directly to his personal account, which would also make it exempt under Swiss rules.

In terms of tax, I don't think it matters much. He only needs to spend 30 or 90 days in Switzerland to get tax residency there (depending on whether he declares Swiss income or funnels it through a company). Then, by having a home in Switzerland and no home in the US, he gets to stay up to six months in the US without having to pay tax there.

No, being resident in Switzerland means you don't pay US tax on WORLDWIDE income - just US tax on US income. What's the matter with this?

The whole non-dom debate is badly reported and not well understood.

No, being resident in Switzerland means you don't pay US tax on WORLDWIDE income - just US tax on US income. What's the matter with this?

The whole non-dom debate is badly reported and not well understood.

he pays switz INCOME tax on all income. if not there would no sense in leaving. thats why companies move to tax shelters.

But corporate tax is different from income tax

Yes, it's different because it isn't paid by individual human beings and so it doesn't seem a very relevant thing to bring up.

Here's a reasonable summary of Morrissey's position on taxes. His voice seems funny in the clip, though. Not sure what gig it was filmed at.

Last edited by a moderator:
Morrissey isn't a non-dom. That's a special tax status for wealthy immigrants to the UK. What he is is non-resident, meaning he isn't liable for any UK tax on his income.

If he sells a CD or a concert ticket in the UK, any non-exempt income he makes (royalties are probably exempt, although I haven't checked) will, in principle, be taxable in Switzerland. However, he can avoid this tax by having the income go through a business account ("Morrissey Ltd" or whatever) rather than directly to his personal account, which would also make it exempt under Swiss rules.

Have you not heard of Lewis Hamilton living in Monaco, Lord Ashcroft being domiciled in Belize? It's not a special tax status for immigrants, it applies to anyone..

I would think Moz could fairly easily obtain a domicile in Ireland.

Damon Anacreonte, the hairdresser, used to be a Director of Barberism Ltd.

Have you not heard of Lewis Hamilton living in Monaco, Lord Ashcroft being domiciled in Belize? It's not a special tax status for immigrants, it applies to anyone..

I would think Moz could fairly easily obtain a domicile in Ireland.

I'm not sure what the point is you are trying to make. A non-dom lives in the UK but is domiciled elsewhere for tax purposes. Lord Ashcroft lives in the UK but claims Belizian domicile. This means he only has to pay tax on his UK income. I don't know much about Lewis Hamilton, but if he lives in Monaco, that makes him a straightforward tax exile, like Morrissey, and not a non-dom. All his income tax liability will be in Monaco, but Monaco doesn't have income tax, so he won't have to pay anything anywhere.

if he paid the tax rate of the country the income is earned there would no point in a tax domicile. income tax not sales tax or other types.
u2 moved their publishing out of ireland , for tax purposes as well.
besides hes not going to pick a tacky tax have like ireland or belize ffs.

I have to agree with what the person is saying about "If you're born working class you will die working class." Although the class system is different in the US, and we try to pretend we are more equal, whereas in Britain it's pretty much accepted by all, growing up in a family that has had the benefits of privilege for generations can't be compared to striking it rich in some way. I look at the British papers online and I know how popular those stories are of those people who won the lottery and then went broke wrecking expensive cars and other stupid things. Morrissey is not upper class, and neither are the more extreme examples like Paul McCartney. His grandchildren might be, him having been knighted and all, and they having gone to the best schools and having connections, but even then the people that are really entrenched in the upper crust are always going to see them as the offspring of a pop star. In the United States the most extreme example of an attempt at social climbing that I can think of is Kanye West. Kanye West could make billions in his lifetime and he is never going to be accepted by people who were born into a family that has been worth billions forever. Morrissey is not nearly wealthy enough to be accepted into those circles, and even if he was much wealthier, he is a pop star. To really be upper class your family has to have been wealthy for generations. I was really shocked when that Rothschild heir married Paris Hilton's sister recently, and in a public way. That is very out of character. I guess when your family is worth trillions and owns banks all over the world, your status is secure.
One thing I think the US and Britain might have in common to some degree is that the middle class strive to be considered upper class, and support the system because they hope that with hard work, talent, and luck they may somehow make the leap. In the US it's more about the rich and the poor. Almost no one would call themselves working class here. People who barely get buy from paycheck to paycheck and owe on everything they've got still consider themselves middle class. The school system is different, and most go to public schools, although the schools are different depending on the neighborhood of course. I think the class system is more blatant in Britain, and there is just no way for Morrissey to ever be other than working class no matter how much he spends on his shirts, or how many homes he may own.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom