Morrissey interview in Billboard - new album, police brutality, why music Is 'like a dating service'

Morrissey Talks New Album 'Low In High School,' Police Brutality & Why Music Is 'Like a Dating Service' - Billboard
11/14/2017 by Joe Lynch

On Nov. 17, Morrissey returns with Low In High School. As the cover artwork – which shows a young boy standing in front of Buckingham Palace toting an "axe the monarchy" sign as well as an axe – indicates, the former Smiths frontman hasn't mellowed with age. In fact, Low In High School is one of his most political musical statements in an already outspoken career, tackling everything from blood-for-oil wars to resistance to corporate media over the course of 12 tracks.

Ahead of the release of his 11th studio album (and first since 2013's World Peace Is None of Your Business), Morrissey answered a few questions from Billboard via email about his new record label Etienne, the kid on the cover of his LP and why police brutality is "the worst form of street crime."

41304_morrissey-2017-cr-Samuel-Gehrke-billboard-1548.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
What's the wailing sound that opens the album on "My Love I'd Do Anything for You"? Do you still turn to the BBC sound effects albums for audio samples?

The wailing is Jesse Tobias (guitarist). The studio in Rome had very deep cellars, one of which was a tight, airless, circular, windowless room. We put Jesse in the room and recorded his screams. We let him out eventually, of course ... a week or so later.

:D:D:D
Bit sad they didn't leave him there with a guitar. He could have aged and matured like a fine wine, and came out a musty virtuoso.

On the subject of police brutality and overreach, I'm surprised he's not taking every opportunity to mention what happened to him in Italy earlier this year. You know, being held at gunpoint...

Yeh it's funny how his dildo nephew erased the whole story from his face4ck page innit.
It's also funny how a crowd gathered to rescue Stevo apparently filming it on their pocket devices yet to this date nobody has come forward with any account or footage of the alleged incident.
Something did happen but not on the scale that Stevo is making out. He's trying to make a bigger deal of it all just to fit in with the crappy song he'd just recorded "Who Will Protect Us"
Just a pathetic drama clown trying it on to shift a few more units.
Amusingly funny for debunkers of the world though.

#we:heartssuit:Rome/BaroneRafaele

Benny-the-British-Butcher :greatbritain::knife:

Moz somehow manages to tell us nothing in interviews. Pity he couldn't have answered the first question about music/lyrics properly.

If you drive in the wrong direction (possibly at speed) on a one way road, especially in a city in the present climate you're gonna draw the attention of the police. Stupid clown :rofl:

Mozzo’s ignorance on police shootings in the US continues to show whenever he talks about it. If he wasn’t too lazy or cowardly to actually get into a patrol car with LA, Chicago, Detroit, Oakland or numerous other areas where police-involved shootings are more common, he’d get a much needed reality check. He’s not interested in the truth though—much like many of the sheep of his who stay ignorant on this matter. Yeah, cops and teachers and celebrities all get caught majorly screwing up & get blasted on social media. That doesn’t make any one of those professions prone to killing “when the whim strikes” or screwing students or the crazy sex harassment that folks like Spacey have done. Moz blows it out of proportion with little to back it, which makes him no better than the “Journalist Who Lie”.

Moz somehow manages to tell us nothing in interviews. Pity he couldn't have answered the first question about music/lyrics properly.

I can't remember the last time he's actually given a decent interview.
Despite him having the questions emailed upfront he fails to say anything of interest. It's piss poor behaviour/attitude.
I'm sure he'll have someone/something to blame for the poor sales figures he's about to receive.
Not long now !

I can't remember the last time he's actually given a decent interview.
Despite him having the questions emailed upfront he fails to say anything of interest. It's piss poor behaviour/attitude.
I'm sure he'll have someone/something to blame for the poor sales figures he's about to receive.
Not long now !

He doesn't have to do anything - and you don't have to buy his stuff.

That is a lovely photo of Moz they used. Would have made a nice album cover.

That was enjoyable to read.

The haters gonna hate...

You're easily pleased then aren't you ?
If this new album is a giant turd fest I reckon you'll say it's the best thing he's ever written.

That old racist bigot strikes again. :)
Liking a black artist's work doesn't mean you can't be racist. Even being married to a black person doesn't mean you still can't have racist feelings. Your relationship can be an exception in your mind; just like other people's children aren't as special as your own.

It's the artisitc equivalent of, "I don't hate black people. Some of my best friends are black." Thomas Jefferson, and Jesse Helms impregnated black women, and many racists don't mind cheering on black athletes because it reinforces the social hierarchy.

It's that level of tone deafness that so many white people seem to possess that creates so much division, and distrust with minorities.

I don't think Morrissey is a racist. He's just ignorant, insensitive, and self-absorbed, which can make you look a lot of ways, and cause people to wonder. On top of that, he refuses to explain himself, leaving it all up to speculation. Silence against damning accusations tend to come across as an admission of guilt.

Let's not forget Eric Clapton's famous diatribe that led to the "Rock Against Racism" concert. You know Eric Clapton; the guy who claims numerous black blues artists as his heroes, and who has flogged their music like an organ grinder?

"Do we have any foreigners in the audience tonight? If so, please put up your hands. Wogs I mean, I'm looking at you. Where are you? I'm sorry but some f***ing wog...Arab grabbed my wife's bum, you know?

Surely got to be said, yeah this is what all the f***ing foreigners and wogs over here are like, just disgusting, that's just the truth, yeah. So where are you? Well wherever you all are, I think you should all just leave. Not just leave the hall, leave our country. You f***ing (indecipherable). I don't want you here, in the room or in my country.

Listen to me, man! I think we should vote for Enoch Powell. Enoch's our man. I think Enoch's right, I think we should send them all back. Stop Britain from becoming a black colony. Get the foreigners out. Get the wogs out. Get the coons out. Keep Britain white. I used to be into dope, now I'm into racism. It's much heavier, man. f***ing wogs, man. f***ing Saudis taking over London. Bastard wogs. Britain is becoming overcrowded and Enoch will stop it and send them all back.

The black wogs and coons and Arabs and f***ing Jamaicans and f***ing [indecipherable] don't belong here, we don't want them here. This is England, this is a white country, we don't want any black wogs and coons living here. We need to make clear to them they are not welcome. England is for white people, man. We are a white country. I don't want f***ing wogs living next to me with their standards. This is Great Britain, a white country, what is happening to us, for f***'s sake?

We need to vote for Enoch Powell, he's a great man, speaking truth. Vote for Enoch, he's our man, he's on our side, he'll look after us. I want all of you here to vote for Enoch, support him, he's on our side. Enoch for Prime Minister! Throw the wogs out! Keep Britain white!"

Liking a black artist's work doesn't mean you can't be racist. Even being married to a black person doesn't mean you still can't have racist feelings. Your relationship can be an exception in your mind; just like other people's children aren't as special as your own.

It's the artisitc equivalent of, "I don't hate black people. Some of my best friends are black." Thomas Jefferson, and Jesse Helms impregnated black women, and many racists don't mind cheering on black athletes because it reinforces the social hierarchy.

It's that level of tone deafness that so many white people seem to possess that creates so much division, and distrust with minorities.

I don't think Morrissey is a racist. He's just ignorant, insensitive, and self-absorbed, which can make you look a lot of ways, and cause people to wonder. On top of that, he refuses to explain himself, leaving it all up to speculation. Silence against damning accusations tend to come across as an admission of guilt.

Let's not forget Eric Clapton's famous diatribe that led to the "Rock Against Racism" concert. You know Eric Clapton; the guy who claims numerous black blues artists as his heroes, and who has flogged their music like an organ grinder?

"Do we have any foreigners in the audience tonight? If so, please put up your hands. Wogs I mean, I'm looking at you. Where are you? I'm sorry but some f***ing wog...Arab grabbed my wife's bum, you know?

Surely got to be said, yeah this is what all the f***ing foreigners and wogs over here are like, just disgusting, that's just the truth, yeah. So where are you? Well wherever you all are, I think you should all just leave. Not just leave the hall, leave our country. You f***ing (indecipherable). I don't want you here, in the room or in my country.

Listen to me, man! I think we should vote for Enoch Powell. Enoch's our man. I think Enoch's right, I think we should send them all back. Stop Britain from becoming a black colony. Get the foreigners out. Get the wogs out. Get the coons out. Keep Britain white. I used to be into dope, now I'm into racism. It's much heavier, man. f***ing wogs, man. f***ing Saudis taking over London. Bastard wogs. Britain is becoming overcrowded and Enoch will stop it and send them all back.

The black wogs and coons and Arabs and f***ing Jamaicans and f***ing [indecipherable] don't belong here, we don't want them here. This is England, this is a white country, we don't want any black wogs and coons living here. We need to make clear to them they are not welcome. England is for white people, man. We are a white country. I don't want f***ing wogs living next to me with their standards. This is Great Britain, a white country, what is happening to us, for f***'s sake?

We need to vote for Enoch Powell, he's a great man, speaking truth. Vote for Enoch, he's our man, he's on our side, he'll look after us. I want all of you here to vote for Enoch, support him, he's on our side. Enoch for Prime Minister! Throw the wogs out! Keep Britain white!"

Failed. :)

What are you babbling on about?

If you are going to cancel Phoenix please give us a sign. My psychic powers are giving me bad vibes.

just a little input, lots of euopean countries and Brittain had countries they had won or grabbed, by war or money, whatever, from 17/18/19 even 20 and 21 century, when those got independant lots moved to the country who has been ruled theirs.

ta

that's multicultural coutries, jus live, there are always people who give their to blame many issues, I say society starts with your own [ Dutch TV advertisment]

just a little input, lots of euopean countries and Brittain had countries they had won or grabbed, by war or money, whatever, from 17/18/19 even 20 and 21 century, when those got independant lots moved to the country who has been ruled theirs.

ta

that's multicultural coutries, jus live, there are always people who give their to blame many issues, I say society starts with your own [ Dutch TV advertisment]

Huh? Have I entered the Twilight Zone?

Yeh it's funny how his dildo nephew erased the whole story from his face4ck page innit.
It's also funny how a crowd gathered to rescue Stevo apparently filming it on their pocket devices yet to this date nobody has come forward with any account or footage of the alleged incident.
Something did happen but not on the scale that Stevo is making out. He's trying to make a bigger deal of it all just to fit in with the crappy song he'd just recorded "Who Will Protect Us"
Just a pathetic drama clown trying it on to shift a few more units.
Amusingly funny for debunkers of the world though.

#we:heartssuit:Rome/BaroneRafaele

Why would anyone mark this as redundant or troll? Can either of you find any video evidence of this apparent event taking place?

Tags
low in high school low in high school info

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom