Morrissey interview in Estadão - WPINOYB re-issue, new album to be recorded; confirms California Son

Morrissey was interviewed for Estado de São Paulo and told about a re-issue of WPINOYB and a new album to be recorded in january.

Morrissey, antigo líder do grupo The Smiths, volta a São Paulo com novo álbum - Estadão
Inglês de 59 anos se apresenta com sua banda em São Paulo, dia 2 de dezembro, no Espaço das Américas
Pedro Antunes, O Estado de S.Paulo
31 Outubro 2018 | 06h00

Translation added by Famous when dead:

It doesn't read that well with translate, but this is what emerges:

"More on account of his own language than his heart, Steven Patrick Morrissey has become a subject of another time. Just like a veteran of a war that ended - or was. As a leader and lyricist for The Smiths, a short-lived Manchester band in England, but an important legacy for the heartbroken post-punk because of the four albums released between 1984 and 1987, he came to be seen as a lord of controversial political opinions, harshness with the press, troublemaker with record labels and with a special ability to cancel tours.
They are, therefore, two Moz in one, if it is possible to divide it in this way. The artistic side continues to tingle, on his solo walk, with records released at a commendable frequency for a 59-year-old musician (celebrating his 60th birthday in May 2019). The other, the character created around the artist, has caused a headache for decades - and is worsening with the statements of Morrissey, who lives headlining the English press and recently clashed with the English mayor Sadiq Khan, Muslim, and defended Brexit, among other controversies.

But, well, it is the artistic momentum that brings him back to Brazil for two presentations. The first takes place in Rio de Janeiro, on November 30, at Fundição Progresso. He and band, formed by Jesse Tobias (guitar), Gustavo Manzur (keyboard), Mando Lopez (bass), Boz Boorer (guitar), Matthew Ira Walker (drums), are going to São Paulo, in the concert to be held on space in the Americas. There are still tickets for both performances.

The latest album, Low In High School, released last November, celebrates his agreement with BMG. "It's a great moment for me (musically)," Morrissey explains to the State via e-mail - English has preferred to conduct his interviews in writing after so many problems with the press, especially the British. "I am accustomed to the discrediting of the English press," he wrote, commenting on the criticism he received about List of The Lost, which came out three years ago. "A newspaper devoted a whole page to crying so people would not buy the book!" He recalls. "They (the English press) will criticize me in my obituary for not having had the education of having died before."

But this is past, apparently. With the new label, Moz is full of plans and happy in life. In the interview, he revealed that he has already recorded a new album, California Son, "a collection of songs by other artists sung by me", again produced by his former partner Joe Chicarelli, who also worked with The Strokes and U2. One of the songs already known is Back on the Chain Gang, classic of The Pretenders, band of Chrissie Hynde.

He announced that he will return to the studio in January to start recording a new album, the 12th solo career that began after the Smiths' demise. And finally, in the last good welcome back written by an excited Morrissey is the fact that the 2014 World Peace Is None of Your Business album will be reissued and reissued by the new label. That's because the album came out on Capitol, but a fight between Moz and the label's executives took away the catalog album - it's not in streaming services either.

"This time, (the album) is going to have a huge promotion worldwide. I can not explain how proud I am of this job, "Morrissey wrote. "It sounds absurd, but the previous record company (the Los Angeles Capital) did not have the guts to show it to the world, so they released the album and ran away," he concludes."In the end, everything ended well!"

Morrissey is proud of his solo work - as well as that performed alongside the Smiths, a band that included also the vocalist Moz Johnny Marr (guitar), Andy Rourke (bass) and Mike Joyce (drums). "How do you compare your new child to the previous one?" He writes, as he is asked about the importance of Low in High School in his discography. "Who can answer such a question? I feel very blessed. Because of You Are The Quarry, Ringleader of the Tormentors (2006), Years of Refusal (2009) and World Peace Is Not Your Business I can face the world with my head held high. " In response, curiously, English did not mention the six solo albums released before 2004, such as the critically acclaimed Viva Hate (1988) and Vauxhll and I (1994). If someone does not feel that way about their music,

The State, in 2015, in the last passage through Brazil, as it has done for years, rejected any idea of a meeting of the Smiths. "(Meet with the band) is as unimaginable as assuming that I would join Led Zeppelin," he quipped at the time - the question was actually grounded in the news that the group had been nominated as one of the possible new members of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, which usually brings together members of the bands, even those already finished decades ago.

But the years have calmed Moz. At the time of the previous interview, a charged cloud circulated the musician.His disc was out of print, he had fought a cancer and claimed to have lost wires from the famous tuft in the treatment. His book was picked up from the press and he was still haunted by the suspicion of a new tour cancellation due to logistical or health issues.

Time has so amassed the Englishman that he is able to value his old band, a group that presented to the world Moz's melancholy, desperate and poetic verses, like "to die beside him is a divine way of dying", from the song There Is a Light That Never Goes Out. In each show, however, it's one or two songs from Smiths entering the repertoire. In the most recent presentation, held in Mexico in March this year, for example, the only one chosen was How Soon Is Now ?. In contrast, there were 6 tracks from the recent Low in High School.

Still, it's good to read Morrissey, always so full of ghosts and self-created people, to be proud of the past he lived. "There was no other group like ours," he says, equally proud and sharp. "So we were alone and we were weird. We could not get space on American television channels and we could not run on English radios. Still, we appear very well. "As if it were possible to see him with a stuffy chest and chin up, Morrissey writes:" No modern band is as radical an experience as ours. " And continues: "Every second in the Smiths' career was a record. I was warned every day about it: 'you can not say something like that,' they said. But I did. "And keep talking, stop good or bad."

Last edited by a moderator:
Hilarious translation regarding the state of the quiff: 'he had fought a cancer and claimed to have lost wires from the famous tuft in the treatment' .

But why would you give a four-year-old album a 'huge promotion worldwide' - especially when you have two new ones in the pipeline? Either this has also been lost in translation or a familiar shit-storm will be brewing, because I cannot see BMG chucking money retrospectively at a so-so (being generous) old album by a niche artist. Re-release, by all means, but major promo push? :confused:
Good name for the next album?

lost wires from the famous tuft coming soon to a record store near you!

Good name for the next album?

lost wires from the famous tuft coming soon to a record store near you!
It has that 'comeback from the self-inflicted, gobshite-induced wilderness' feel all over it. A solid gold no. 1!

Where've ya been, G? We missed ya!

Oh dear - quite a muddled post.
You've mistaken the phrase "in the UK there's up to 500,000 people who will buy what they consider to be an excellent Morrissey album" with "500,000 people will buy a re-released World Peace album." Of course they won't.
Also, maybe you weren't following him at the time but Morrissey formally severed his relationship with Harvest just 2 weeks after World Peace was released. His choice.

Not sure I understand what your saying? Quarry was his last big seller with 300,000 UK sales, so not sure where you get there’s up to 500,000 people who would consider buying an excellent Morrissey album?

All good news!
I became a fan of Morrissey on the World Peace...tour, not for the album as such, but just the concert I attended and the subsequent falling-in-love with the back catalogue that came there after, so I do not mind a reissue.
I did have a thought though, that in Morrissey's past, he would release compilations such as Bona Drag, World of Morrissey, My Early Burglary Years etc. So would that have been a more interesting avenue to release previous material along with covers/b-sides?

I did have a thought though, that in Morrissey's past, he would release compilations such as Bona Drag, World of Morrissey, My Early Burglary Years etc. So would that have been a more interesting avenue to release previous material along with covers/b-sides?

Well, he's sort of already done that for the recent 'comeback' era with Swords.

Good news.He will return to studio and record a new album next january.I hope with the two tracks we know.Blue dreamers eyes
Your profile image is the new LIHS cover, Quando?, So onto the Bredbury back streets we tumble, haha,

Well, he's sort of already done that for the recent 'comeback' era with Swords.
I suppose it would be a little similar to Swords.
I know he wishes to re-release World Peace.. as the whole Harvest thing fell through and it's as though the album never got its proper release to the world. Though that didn't stop it filling set lists for the last four years!
I just meant the idea of a new "compilation" would perhaps be a little fresher than re-released material that's all.

I suppose it would be a little similar to Swords.
I know he wishes to re-release World Peace.. as the whole Harvest thing fell through and it's as though the album never got its proper release to the world. Though that didn't stop it filling set lists for the last four years!
I just meant the idea of a new "compilation" would perhaps be a little fresher than re-released material that's all.

A new compilation of just the World Peace extra tracks and LIHS b-sides? Yeah, I guess that'd make more sense for fans. But he's trying to sell the whole album again to the general public because he doesn't think that it got a fair shake.

The lefties loved Moz's lyrics during the era of The Smiths and then when he grows older and wiser and changes his opinion which is what life and living does to us they all spat out the dummy and cried about it. This confirms everything I knew about lefties in general.

Oh shut the f*** up you simpleton. Everything isn't black or white so spare us the lefties vs righties palaver.

"I'm Not a Man" is another shitty "song." If he was in college and submitted a paper in the writing style of "I'm Not a Man" or "World Peace Is None Of Your Business" and then a month later submitted a paper in the style of "There Is A Light That Never Goes Out" or "I Know It's Over" or "The Hand That Rocks The Cradle," the professor would likely suspect plagiarism because NO WAY the same person could have written so beautifully after such a hamfisted, awkward attempt. It's almost like Morrissey has completely morphed creatively into a less talented person.

"I'm Not A Man" is brilliant and one of the most Morrissey-like concepts of his career. That song IS Morrissey lyrically. YOU obviously aren't man enough to be the man in that song.

"I'm Not A Man" is brilliant and one of the most Morrissey-like concepts of his career. . YOU obviously aren't man enough to be the man in that song.

"That song IS Morrissey lyrically."

Spot on!

Not sure I understand what your saying? Quarry was his last big seller with 300,000 UK sales, so not sure where you get there’s up to 500,000 people who would consider buying an excellent Morrissey album?

The best selling Smiths and Morrissey albums (i.e. four of the Smiths compilation albums, The Queen is Dead and You are the Quarry) have all been awarded 'Platinum' status in the UK. This means they have all sold between 300,000 and 600,000. If (and when) they reach 600,000 they become Double Platinum but none has yet.
It doesn't really matter whether Quarry is on 300,000 or 599,000 sales (it's probably around 450-500) - the point is that there are hundreds of thousands more people who will buy what they consider to be an excellent Morrissey or Smiths album, than bought the worst-selling Morrissey albums (Maladjusted and World Peace). Morrissey, perhaps deludely, feels that many more people than the 30,000 that bought World Peace initially would buy it if they heard some more of the songs.

Perhaps we’ll finally hear those elusive French mixes of One Of Our Own, Smiler With Knife, Scandinavia and Art-hounds from the scrapped Bullfighter, Istanbul, KMAL and Neal Cassady singles with this World Peace reissue?

Yes a really good song, but the intro is too long

Has anyone from the band ever mentioned what that long intro is meant to represent or sound like? And what relevance it has in context with the song itself? I’m sure I’d appreciate it more if an explanation was given. And I’m sure Morrissey had a reason for putting it there to set the tone for... something.

"I'm Not A Man" is brilliant and one of the most Morrissey-like concepts of his career. That song IS Morrissey lyrically.
You have a good point here it's sublime. I saw your name Vegan and I wondered if vegan cro spirit still posting on here?

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom