Morrissey is anti-immigrant backs a white nationalist party. Why don’t fans care? - LA Times

Morrissey is anti-immigrant and backs a white nationalist political party. Why don’t fans care? - Los Angeles Times
By Randall Roberts

The singer, who plays the Hollywood Bowl on Saturday, has always enjoyed a special bond with his Southern California fans. But could hateful remarks about immigrants spoil that?

Excerpt:

Los Angeles Councilwoman Rodriguez, who facilitated the city’s 2017 Morrissey Day celebration, stresses this distinction between art and artist. Asked whether the singer’s recent provocations have caused her to reassess her fandom or the wisdom of her resolution, she says no. “Morrissey has had a long history of saying controversial commentary about England and the monarchy. I think it’s part of what he has always been.” She and her family have tickets to Saturday’s Bowl concert.

On a larger level, Rodriguez adds, “Everyone in this country and anywhere, in my belief, is entitled to their opinions, even if I am not a proponent of that mindset.” Artists have permission to be controversial, she says. “It is, by nature, art.”

That doesn’t mean Morrissey should get a pass, says Nic Harcourt, a morning drive-time DJ for KCSN and music supervisor. For a long time, Harcourt chose to laugh off many of Morrissey’s public rows. The singer even did a guest DJ session with Harcourt when the latter hosted “Mornings Become Eclectic” on KCRW.

“He’s always flirted with this right-wing thing. This didn’t just suddenly happen,” Harcourt says. Something has shifted, though, and it prompted a reckoning. “When he made it so obvious earlier this year, I decided I wasn’t going to play his music anymore on the radio.” (Harcourt stresses that he’s speaking as a DJ and not as a spokesman for KCSN.)

Morrissey’s manager, Katsis, said that most frustrating to him is that, artistically, his client is at the top of his game. The shows have been phenomenal, but the media is focused on what Morrissey says offstage. “It’s just his opinion, and it’s taken as gospel. That’s the most bizarre part of it.”

Katsis adds, “Everyone keeps repeating that Morrissey said, ‘The Chinese are a subspecies.’ That comment was made about the Chinese government, and everybody has problems with the way they treat people.” Katsis says that he recently received a request from a promoter for his client to play concerts in China. Morrissey wants to play there but wondered, “Do you think they’d let me in the country?”

Such tensions can drive great art, and can prompt an essential question on fandom: Which is more powerful, the thrill that rushes into your spirit when you connect with a song or album, or the disappointment that comes with realizing you don’t share essential values with its creator?

“Fandom is very personal,” says “Mozlandia” author Hidalgo. “It’s about the self. It’s selfish. You’re going to like something you like, and no one in the world is going to tell you not to do it. Because if they tell you not to do it, you’ll do it even more.”

Related Item:

Last edited:
It’s true, the recent shows have truly been phenomenal. Simply put, if you don’t like Morrissey then don’t go to his shows or as he would say “don’t look at me.”

:straightface:

Moz was ahead of the curve when he lamped the Chinese. Those cucks eat puppies and kitties FFS.:mad:
All the left wing loons defending them look now twats, they are trampling on peeps rights. You ignored Moz
now you look stupid.:lbf:
speaking of stupid open the train tracks here come ALL the skinny pseuds: 'linder s', surface, benny the halal butcher, trill, ' moneychangeseverthing' , left nut, sucks, melvis the pizza pop, the follow up anons....the whole gang are sure to put in an appearance.
untruth will make an incoherent analysis somewhere in there.:lbf:

I suppose his racism should not be ignored and it is too much. As a long-term fan I accept Morrissey is now unacceptable.

Two days before his not-even-close-to-sold out Hollywood Bowl show, this is not good. Not good at all, especially with the article aimed at his core audience. The lack of comment/support from his label, his tour booking agent and himself makes it all especially one-sided and damning.

morrissey is victim of media bullying.

for wanting out of HIS concert to be one of the bullies with transparent, he is proclaimed as/put first generic phrase that comes to your mind/

one or few like-this 'analysis' are coming out of nothing every new day.

of course, i haven't read it

the story is old
i know
but it goes on...

Randall Roberts, to share a commonly used phrase, you are a day late, and a dollar short

The worst part of all though, is that you also have the name of a TRUE Desperado

Except the party he supports isn't white nationalist or anti immigrant. They simply don't want their country overtaken by filthy violent Muslims who would happily murder EVERYONE on this site.

I reckon will you jealous pieces of shit in Mankchaster and Camden, New Jersey stop saying that all of The California Son's fans in Moz Angeles are Mexicans or "latinos". You lazy f***s couldn't afford a concert in his hometown Moz Angeles so you will never see that the majority of his fans at California shows are white inn nnn n n n n nnnnn n n it.

"This same far-right blogger has railed against “rapes and terror attacks which have resulted from mass immigration.”

So being against the above is bad? The world is insane.

The article makes a good attempt at laying out the evidence. The incontrovertible evidence. Read it. It's all there.

The quote from Katsis is so, so telling - “It certainly hasn’t had any effect in our best markets (my emphasis) like L.A., New York and San Diego. Most U.S. fans don’t care, or even know enough about U.K. politics, to have an opinion on what Morrissey posts.”

There you have it - he tours where the crowd don't know about the racist comments in Britain and where there's money to be made. I've said it for ages, and now Katsis admits it.

And as for Rodriguez - what kind of a position is that?

Morrissey - says a long line of bigoted, racist things
Fan - 'Well, that's what artists do"

Me - f*** you, f*** Morrissey, f*** racism.

Last edited:
I do care - but I don't believe he is a racist or a fascist - he's just said some massively undiplomatic things & doesn't filter or research enough, plus he digs his heels in when he really should apologise.

For Britain is a racist, white nationalist party - but Anne Marie Waters is an Irish, vegan, lesbian, feminist who was a left-winger until she decided that Islamic values had to be kept out of Europe & so it's plausible that he didn't realise how far right the party actually was.

Politically the only things he's ever consistent about are animal rights, hating governments/police/armies/the media/schools & resenting the UK class system/Royalty.

And he does seem mournful about his current disgrace - but he's lousy at ideology so he's babbling & sunk in self-pity & panic instead of finding a dignified way out of it.

I wish he'd just say he made a mistake & draw a line. (in 2015 he was dismissing ISIS as unimportant compared to the meat industry, which he wouldn't have done if his motivation was racism).

:straightface:

Moz was ahead of the curve when he lamped the Chinese. Those cucks eat puppies and kitties FFS.:mad:
All the left wing loons defending them look now twats, they are trampling on peeps rights. You ignored Moz
now you look stupid.:lbf:
speaking of stupid open the train tracks here come ALL the skinny pseuds: 'linder s', surface, benny the halal butcher, trill, ' moneychangeseverthing' , left nut, sucks, melvis the pizza pop, the follow up anons....the whole gang are sure to put in an appearance.
untruth will make an incoherent analysis somewhere in there.:lbf:
Just because you won't be able to understand it doesn't mean it will be incoherent, though.

The article makes a good attempt at laying out the evidence. The incontrovertible evidence. Read it. It's all there.

The quote from Katsis is so, so telling - “It certainly hasn’t had any effect in our best markets (my emphasis) like L.A., New York and San Diego. Most U.S. fans don’t care, or even know enough about U.K. politics, to have an opinion on what Morrissey posts.”

There you have it - he tours where the crowd don't know about the racist comments in Britain and where there's money to be made. I've said it for ages, and now Katsis admits it.

And as for Rodriquez - what kind of a position is that?

also you: "if the smiths were to reunite i'd be there like a shot"

And as for Rodriquez - what kind of a position is that?

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom