Morrissey is anti-immigrant backs a white nationalist party. Why don’t fans care? - LA Times

Morrissey is anti-immigrant and backs a white nationalist political party. Why don’t fans care? - Los Angeles Times
By Randall Roberts

The singer, who plays the Hollywood Bowl on Saturday, has always enjoyed a special bond with his Southern California fans. But could hateful remarks about immigrants spoil that?

Excerpt:

Los Angeles Councilwoman Rodriguez, who facilitated the city’s 2017 Morrissey Day celebration, stresses this distinction between art and artist. Asked whether the singer’s recent provocations have caused her to reassess her fandom or the wisdom of her resolution, she says no. “Morrissey has had a long history of saying controversial commentary about England and the monarchy. I think it’s part of what he has always been.” She and her family have tickets to Saturday’s Bowl concert.

On a larger level, Rodriguez adds, “Everyone in this country and anywhere, in my belief, is entitled to their opinions, even if I am not a proponent of that mindset.” Artists have permission to be controversial, she says. “It is, by nature, art.”

That doesn’t mean Morrissey should get a pass, says Nic Harcourt, a morning drive-time DJ for KCSN and music supervisor. For a long time, Harcourt chose to laugh off many of Morrissey’s public rows. The singer even did a guest DJ session with Harcourt when the latter hosted “Mornings Become Eclectic” on KCRW.

“He’s always flirted with this right-wing thing. This didn’t just suddenly happen,” Harcourt says. Something has shifted, though, and it prompted a reckoning. “When he made it so obvious earlier this year, I decided I wasn’t going to play his music anymore on the radio.” (Harcourt stresses that he’s speaking as a DJ and not as a spokesman for KCSN.)

Morrissey’s manager, Katsis, said that most frustrating to him is that, artistically, his client is at the top of his game. The shows have been phenomenal, but the media is focused on what Morrissey says offstage. “It’s just his opinion, and it’s taken as gospel. That’s the most bizarre part of it.”

Katsis adds, “Everyone keeps repeating that Morrissey said, ‘The Chinese are a subspecies.’ That comment was made about the Chinese government, and everybody has problems with the way they treat people.” Katsis says that he recently received a request from a promoter for his client to play concerts in China. Morrissey wants to play there but wondered, “Do you think they’d let me in the country?”

Such tensions can drive great art, and can prompt an essential question on fandom: Which is more powerful, the thrill that rushes into your spirit when you connect with a song or album, or the disappointment that comes with realizing you don’t share essential values with its creator?

“Fandom is very personal,” says “Mozlandia” author Hidalgo. “It’s about the self. It’s selfish. You’re going to like something you like, and no one in the world is going to tell you not to do it. Because if they tell you not to do it, you’ll do it even more.”

Related Item:

Last edited:
The media are fond of saying the biggest threat to the UK is white supremacism too - but how many white supremacist bombs have gone off lately in Britain?

The last one was in 1999 and that was by a single lone nut!

It's always a "single lone nut" when its a white dude, isn't it? I bet you never even noticed that.

When it's a not-white dude it's always a vast international conspiracy of religious warriors, right?

I was on that street when that bomb went off. f*** right off.

It's always a "single lone nut" when its a white dude, isn't it? I bet you never even noticed that.

When it's a not-white dude it's always a vast international conspiracy of religious warriors, right?

A white supremacist bomb has not gone off in the UK for 30 years.

Multiple Islamist ones have killed dozens and dozens in the last few years alone.

You argument is not just weak, but non-existent. Go back to school.

If anything the biggest threat to the US appears to be White Supremacists at the moment : https://thehill.com/homenews/admini...ority-of-domestic-terrorism-arrests-this-year

It's probably the same in the UK.

(And don't waste your time posting links to arrests of Muslims ... unless you also post up links of all the crimes committed by Christians and Catholics).

No - it's not the same. We don't have a history of armed militias the way the USA does. Our biggest threat is Islamic terrorism - but it's not a big threat. It won't change our political landscape. It won't change our foreign policy. It won't even kill that many people, though the shock of it will make the news.

There's no need to 'big up' the far right or Islamism in the UK - unless you're some gobshite pundit on Twitter who wants to get on Sky News one day. It's small numbers of fanatics, mostly motivated by their need to feel part of something more important than their dull little lives can provide, or who have spent too much time watching propaganda videos online.

Multiple Islamist ones have killed dozens and dozens in the last few years alone.

moneychangeseverthing is Skinny. when asked he refused to condemn Islam. Skinny and his aliasas wont ever under any circumstances condemn Islam, as they have Islamic souls.

Not every Muslim is a terrorist, but every terrorist has been a Muslim...more often than not.

Yes exactly! Here in the US the worst threat is from white Christian males and their weapons of war. You can’t even go to the mall or the movies without thinking about you and your family dying in some awful gun massacre.

Yes exactly! Here in the US the worst threat is from white Christian males and their weapons of war. You can’t even go to the mall or the movies without thinking about you and your family dying in some awful gun massacre.

Skinny this pseud is supposed to be from California? A California parody alias, who goes to
the "mall" in California? Really Skinny?

'Here in the US'...lmao...FFS this is skinny providing a fake 'international' context to his over saturated UK moz solo presence. Nutjob.

Top marks for imagination, as ever, but nothing else. Pure fantasy from the 'sheik of fake'.

Just don't go to the 'mall' or 'movies' skinny, or maybe on the other hand...

Actually you'll find there were three white supremacist nail bomb explosions in London in two weeks in April 1999 - not 1989. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1999_London_nail_bombings

And since you weren't there, you don't know what happened. You probably only read about some glorious hero saving you from The Great Gay Replacement on Shitebart.

You genuinely have no idea what you're talking about. It's quite a shame for you, really. You really think the only form of terrorism that counts are bombs? How unimaginative of you.

moneychangeseverthing is Skinny. when asked he refused to condemn Islam. Skinny and his aliasas wont ever under any circumstances condemn Islam, as they have Islamic souls.

You're full of crap. Or perhaps, putting it nicely for the umpteenth f***ing time, I ain't Skinny. Which of course, must prove that I am, because up is down, right is wrong, and the moon is a balloon in Parrotworld.

My opinion of Islam? Same as many religions : Most religions have some pretty daft ideas and anyone who thinks blowing people up or murdering people because their God told them to is really just looking for an excuse, be it Jesus or Judas Priest, to be an evil piece of shit.

You ought to vacation in Afghanistan (or any number of countries surrounding it) to get out of that mall! Better yet, move! Tourists do take vacations there, right? But I think they take a little more than American Express though...

You're full of crap. Or perhaps, putting it nicely for the umpteenth f***ing time, I ain't Skinny. Which of course, must prove that I am, because up is down, right is wrong, and the moon is a balloon in Parrotworld.

My opinion of Islam? Same as many religions : Most religions have some pretty daft ideas and anyone who thinks blowing people up or murdering people because their God told them to is really just looking for an excuse, be it Jesus or Judas Priest, to be an evil piece of shit.

Skinny, your Muslim brethren would blow up the planet and you would find someone else to blame.

Actually you'll find there were three white supremacist nail bomb explosions in London in two weeks in April 1999 - not 1989. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1999_London_nail_bombings

And since you weren't there, you don't know what happened. You probably only read about some glorious hero saving you from The Great Gay Replacement on Shitebart.

You genuinely have no idea what you're talking about. It's quite a shame for you, really. You really think the only form of terrorism that counts are bombs? How unimaginative of you.

Skinny don't go all Prophet Muhammad on us. Chill and take a pill.

'Here in the US'...lmao...FFS this is skinny providing a fake 'international' context to his over saturated UK moz solo presence. Nutjob.

Top marks for imagination, as ever, but nothing else. Pure fantasy from the 'sheik of fake'.

Just don't go to the 'mall' or 'movies' skinny, or maybe on the other hand...

Skinny Goes to the Mall in California with no funds.

Retard, "White" Christian males founded the country . Not only are they not the threat, Christians don't go around shooting up places in the name of Jesus

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom