Morrissey is just a singer?

crotty32

Despite all the condemnations from fans,press,politicians,and it seems the rest of the general public is it me or is it possible to love,admire,revere and devour someone's musical catalogue without caring about there views or opinions about anything?I mean Morrissey has opinions on different topics that will not be shared by others but to not be able to relay your opinions is wrong,I am a massive Dylan,Weller and Neil Young fan amongst many others but it would be impossible for me(anyone) to concur with their views on certain topics I would never stop being a fan.Morrissey has been taken to task on his comments and the fact that he has made comments that differ to others sickens those who "believe " that there is only one answer,opinion or fact that is acceptable.I will continue to follow Morrisseys career.

I guess it depends on how much the artists views outside of the music undermines the messages the songs express. Given this your ability to enjoy could also depend on how much the songs messages counts towards your enjoyment. You might just be overwhelmed simply by the melody and instrumentation but that probably isn't the case for many of Morrisseys fans

I agree. I don't think there's anything that Morrissey could say that would make me stop listening or buying his music. The music runs too deep.

Despite all the condemnations from fans,press,politicians,and it seems the rest of the general public is it me or is it possible to love,admire,revere and devour someone's musical catalogue without caring about there views or opinions about anything?I mean Morrissey has opinions on different topics that will not be shared by others but to not be able to relay your opinions is wrong,I am a massive Dylan,Weller and Neil Young fan amongst many others but it would be impossible for me(anyone) to concur with their views on certain topics I would never stop being a fan.Morrissey has been taken to task on his comments and the fact that he has made comments that differ to others sickens those who "believe " that there is only one answer,opinion or fact that is acceptable.I will continue to follow Morrisseys career.

Morrissey must just be a singer, at least he should have been only a singer.

Everyone have opinions, but we don't become singer to tell to the whole world our opinions.
With Morrissey we suffer these diva moods.

He have no guts at all, to write his opinions on his own songs (or so it's pitifully written: non bus no boss, the war is bad, etc, etc.... make me laugh).

He can stop to be singer et become politician (it'll costs me less).
His speechs are exactly the same that use the PNB and the others far-right party in europe. to know: insecurity, terrorism, unemploy, low economy, etc its because the foreigners, refugees.
Use lies (generally fake) to pass a messages (for example: Nigel Farage during the referendum, btw, this man had no guts too, just after the brexit won, he admitted to lying and left the political scene.... very courageous man.....).

I'm tired to hear some litany like: I like animals, but i don't like human being.... Ok, you want a solution... kill yourself, for me you’re already gone.
I kown that this words will draw me the wrath of hardcore fans, but I don't care.
I was like you, but I stopped to veil my face, it's not enough to support an "artist" and let him saying some stupidies even if it's his opinions, I don't have to condone or even ignore his words because I'm one of his fans.

If tomorrow, he says "killed the refugees near your home" You'll do it?...
You have a brain, a mind, an intelligence.... use them or are you blind and deaf?

I was an big fan of Morrissey (and The Smiths) since near 28 years, but enough is enough.

He had described, at the time, England mentality like a country from the 18-19th century, but now is mind are in the same age.
Same mentality, same reactions..... He really pities.

it's not nice to grow old like that ... embittered, chauvinist, racist ... the beginning of the end or the beginning of the selinity.

Yes, I know, all this words I written are useless, but for me, it feel me good...

He could come out with a Klansman hood and a 17 year old on a leash and I'd still follow his career. (Not saying he would, so don't get your knickers twisted, just going to extremes here) He's equally fascinating as train wreck and genius.

For awhile he was more than just a singer to me. I read his autobiography and liked this person and the fact that he claims to be vegan made me admire him as a person as well. At the moment, however, he is just a singer to me. An amazingly gifted one. I love his last couple albums as much as anything he's done. Many of his comments over the past year can be explained away but some are just lying there festering. What upsets me is that his (apparent) lack of empathy casts a dark cloud on his veganism. I hate humankind as a whole too but it hasn't made me devoid of empathy for unfairly-treated humans. And I'm disappointed about the cardigan and cheese cheating. Not because he slips from time to time but his apathy about how he's viewed. And the fact he seems to think he's above explaining himself. Still, I don't think we really know his true feelings on all these things. He is cynical and jaded and doesn't trust anyone so he comes off poorly sometimes. I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt but his comments about Spacey and Weinstein are simply wrong-headed and shockingly ignorant. He's not a dumb person. There has to be more to this story. I don't buy that he really was excusing, defending and absolving these men of responsibility for their abhorrent behavior. It's likely he was just trying to make a point that you need to treat each accusation with scrutiny rather than automatically demonize the accused. Either his was misquoted or said it un-artfully. I'm a fan of Spacey but too many accusations for me to stomach and Weinstein is just an evil asshole.

This is an interesting topic.
I currently have a friend who is having their Lost Prophets tattoos removed as they'd rather not show any affinity for a child rapist and prolific sex offender.
The 'well, their songs are good though' / 'just a singer' arguments are equally applicable here, but I'm finding it difficult to offer any helpful opinion.
Morrissey has skirted on the edges of controversial topics forever - yet, I remain.
There appears to be a very, very personally subjective line that an artist needs to cross before people stop seeing the worth in their work.
I wonder what it would take for most of the people who regularly visit here who maintain a positive view?
No flame bait - a genuine question.
Regards,
FWD.

Last edited:
I currently have a friend who is having their Lost Prophets tattoos removed as they'd rather not show any affinity for a child rapist and prolific sex offender.
The 'well, their songs are good though' / 'just a singer' argument are equally applicable here, but I'm finding it difficult to offer any helpful opinion.
Morrissey has skirted on the edges of controversial topics forever - yet, I remain.
There appears to be a very, very personally subjective line that an artist needs to cross before people stop seeing the worth in their work.
I wonder what it would take for most of the people who regularly visit here who maintain a positive view?
Regards,
FWD.

Interesting indeed FWD, I was having a conversation along these very lines only today.
What would it take indeed, something of Gary Glitter proportions perhaps?
What exactly is the limit? When does enough become too much?
I agree that it will vary from person to person.

The 'well, their songs are good though' / 'just a singer' argument are equally applicable here, but I'm finding it difficult to offer any helpful opinion.
Regards,
FWD.

FYI: https://www.morrissey-solo.com/thre...pointed-surprising-feelings-or-moments.81929/

I watched a film review last night on youtube and the reviewer said,I WASNT OFFENDED BY JUSTICE LEAGUE,everybody is offended these days.
family,football team and Morrissey in that order,being 53 from the west of Scotland I deal with sectarianism on a daily basis,age is a great leveller,nothing bothers me anymore.ps,reviewer shoud be shot for watching justice league in the first place.ps.wait to see if someones offeneded on here because I said he should be shot.

Back
Top Bottom