Morrissey is the second weirdest voice in music - NME blog

The people that make up these useless lists are running out of ideas.

Weird? No! Vocal eccentrics, yes. I've never heard Morrissey's voice referred to as "adenoidal." :confused: :rolleyes: The NME is crazy, Gary Numan ROCKS :guitar:

You know who has a weird voice? Shakira.

Has anyone heard this Zach Condon?

Weird? No! Vocal eccentrics, yes. I've never heard Morrissey's voice referred to as "adenoidal." :confused: :rolleyes: The NME is crazy, Gary Numan ROCKS :guitar:

You know who has a weird voice? Shakira.

Has anyone heard this Zach Condon?

From what I know of the current incarnation of the NME, they made a typo and an "m" was meant to have been placed in that name.

"Top ten songs that give no offense whatsoever."

"Five best songs you don't mind your mom hearing."

There's a reason why Smiths covers rarely work – namely, that few singers can approximate Moz's utterly distinctive, adenoidal vocal style. Tellingly, Jeff Buckley was a big fan.

I love Buckley's cover of "I Know It's Over." And likewise for Placebo's cover of "Bigmouth Strikes Again." ...Not sure what adenoidal means tho'.

- J

Quite. What lists will come next? Best third song on a debut album? "Nicest" voices in rock? Best bass solos?

I was hoping for something like.. "top 50 rock people that look like poodles"... "top 20 bands that print their set lists on recyclable paper"...

These dumb lists are clearly a desperate attempt to generate traffic to their site.

But it's nice to see when people whine about their favorite artists not making to the top of whatever list they come up with.

I have it on good authority that Morrissey is involved in next week's "NME's greatest music eyebrows"

Last edited:
Bjork has been missing from the list. :p

Weirdest is not an appropriate word to describe Morrissey's vocal style. :(

seriously! bjork for sure. and GARY NUMAN???? seriously???? that's the weirdest they could come up with??? how about klaus nomi or antony and the johnsons or...something....

morrissey's voice is classicly beautiful. sometimes he sings unique vocal melodies, but his voice is very standardly beautiful.

Is Mark E Smith anywhere on that list?

And thank goodness there are some singers out there using the voice they were born with instead of relying on fancy studio polish. Just look at the state of modern music - clones upon clones of other acts. Viva the independents.

Is NME still around? I thought it had closed down because of very poor sales.
The old smelly NME.....
Cheers Moz

This is number 1 in my Top 10 poll of useless polls

He isn't a natural singer....i mean he can't lend his vocal style to any song and pull it off. His voice is more suited to his own compositions. As someone said here, where is Mark E Smith or even Lou Reed. Then again, Morrissey, The Fall & Lou Reed/velvet underground are three of my favourite musical artists anyway.

Adenoid voice? :confused: This is the voice that sounds like you are having a bad cold or a severe throat infection. :mad:

I totally agree with what the Belgian singer Frank Vander linden said in an interview in the magazine HUMO this week, when they asked him about the records that had changed his life. He mentioned "Viva Hate" as one of those and added: "No exaggeration here: Morrissey masters his voice in exactly the same way Charlie Parker or Jimi Hendrix mastered their musical instruments."

Morrissey's voice is remarkable, out of the ordinary, unusual, rare, yes, but weird is just such an unintelligent word.

Stupid list. How can they exclude Feargal Sharkey? That guy easily had the weirdest voice in music, by a country mile. And Klaus Nomi! I'd also include the singer for Sigur Ros before I'd include Moz or Stuart Staples. And what about Nico? What about Bjork? Useless list.

Though I don't mind Morrissey's voice being thought of as "weird". I prefer to think of it as unique, myself.

It's the NME what do you expect? Also - those other people on the list - correct me if I am wrong - arent really that famous at least in my eyes. And where are the Bee Gees? If THEY dont have weird voices then I dont know.

and GARY NUMAN???? seriously???? that's the weirdest they could come up with???

It sure does show a staggering lack of imagination...

I always thought Marc Bolan's voice was weird (especially on the early Tyrannosaurus Rex LPs). Oh, and how about Tom Waits (a friend of mine used to compare his voice to one of the Muppetts)

It sure does show a staggering lack of imagination...

I always thought Marc Bolan's voice was weird (especially on the early Tyrannosaurus Rex LPs). Oh, and how about Tom Waits (a friend of mine used to compare his voice to one of the Muppetts)

i was totally going to mention t-rex but thought i'd be the only one who found it weird (but in a TOTALLY good way). his voice is strangely transgender- i love it, i once played cosmic dancer for someone and asked them to tell me if it was a girl or boy singing, and watched amused, as the confusion spread on their face :D

yeah tom waits is pretty weird, too.

Tom Waits is a character voice isn't it? It's not how he'd normally sing. He's like an actor adopting a persona.

Back
Top Bottom