Morrissey mentioned in Moby's 'Then It Fell Apart'

https://www.laweekly.com/arts/moby-shares-excerpt-from-new-book-then-it-fell-apart-10150168

and as I was uncorking the bottle Morrissey walked in. With his trademark swoosh of dark hair he looked like a glamorous Mexican film star. I’d never met him, and I was immediately nervous in his presence, as I’d been a huge fan of the Smiths and his solo albums.

Often when I met my heroes I was stumped. I wanted to be a fan and gush and tell them how much I loved their work. But I also wanted to be cool, and so would pretend to be unfazed by meeting them. I didn’t know what to say to Morrissey, so I offered him champagne. He declined, brusquely asked me to consider producing his next album, and after a polite handshake left.

Also in current edition of spectator magazine, article also by moby

https://www.laweekly.com/arts/moby-shares-excerpt-from-new-book-then-it-fell-apart-10150168

and as I was uncorking the bottle Morrissey walked in. With his trademark swoosh of dark hair he looked like a glamorous Mexican film star. I’d never met him, and I was immediately nervous in his presence, as I’d been a huge fan of the Smiths and his solo albums.

Often when I met my heroes I was stumped. I wanted to be a fan and gush and tell them how much I loved their work. But I also wanted to be cool, and so would pretend to be unfazed by meeting them. I didn’t know what to say to Morrissey, so I offered him champagne. He declined, brusquely asked me to consider producing his next album, and after a polite handshake left.

I wonder which album Morrissey was offering Moby to produce. Maybe Maladjusted? I believe he asked Eno (who declined) to produce that one.

I just got this book via a thoroughly illicit source - the quoted part is the sum total of Morrissey / The Smiths other than:

"I befriended a few other lonely suburban misfits at The Beat, but Allard, Melissa, and Brock became my closest friends. Since Melissa played bass, Brock played drums, and Allard looked like Ian McCulloch, we started a band. We were all obsessed with sad, self-pitying music from the north of the UK, so even though we were Connecticut teenagers, we did our best to look and sound like the Smiths and Aztec Camera."

"I still loved my old punk-rock records, and I adored the Smiths and the Chameleons and the other sensitive British groups. But the more I DJed, the more I found myself excited by the hip-hop and dance-music producers who were rushing to create the soundtrack to the future."

Re: producing a Moz album.
That came from a 2002 issue of Q Magazine in the "Cash For Questions" feature. Summary via a guest comment in the archive:
"Someone asked him if the rumours about Morrissey wanting him to produce his new album were true - he basically said that unless you're David Bowie, he's too busy."

Regards,
FWD.

I remember watching a Joe Pernice show at the Mercury Lounge in NYC in 2003 (maybe?) when Moby and his mates pitched up, stood right by us, and we’re soooo loud and annoying, especially during the quieter, most gorgeous songs. Sigh...

Morrissey probably tells everyone to consider producing his next record before he vanishes forever.

Tags
moby biography

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom