Morrissey: Norway massacre is "nothing" compared to the actions of fast food chains

Once again he shoots himself in the foot.

Morrissey: 'Norway Attacks Nothing Compared To Actions Of Fast Good Giants' - Gigwise
He claims...

Morrissey has courted criticism after he reportedly compared the actions of fast food companies to the recent attacks in Norway.

At least 76 people died last week in two separate attacks which were both orchestrated by far-right extremist Anders Behring Breivik.

Morrissey, a staunch vegetarian, made reference the massacre during a performance in at Stodola Club in Warsaw, Poland earlier this week, according to the Daily Mirror.

Before playing The Smiths' song 'Meat is Murder', he is quoted as saying: “We all live in a murderous world, as the events in Norway have shown, with 97 dead.

“Though that is nothing compared to what happens in McDonald’s and Kentucky Fried Sh*t every day.”

Video footage of Morrissey performing the song has been published on YouTube, but it omits his alleged introduction.

Morrissey's comment is the latest in a string of outbursts in recent months, many of which have focussed on animal welfare.

Link from Tingle3:

Morrissey says Norway massacre is "nothing" compared to the actions of fast food chains - Daily Mirror
by Ashleigh Rainbird

MORRISSEY has sparked outrage after saying the tragedy in Norway was “nothing” compared to the actions of fast food chains.

The controversial singer, 52, made his remark while on stage at a gig in Warsaw on Sunday night.

Before launching into his hit Meat is Murder, the outspoken vegetarian made reference to the horrific events last Friday.

Referring to the death toll as thought at the time he said: “We all live in a murderous world, as the events in Norway have shown, with 97 dead. Though that is nothing compared to what happens in McDonald’s and Kentucky Fried S*** every day.”

Two nights earlier the singer introduced the same song with another lambasting of the brands.

Gig-goers took to his fan sites to condemn the his outburst. One wrote: “The killing of children compared to KFC & McDonald’s?!!! What an ass****!”

Another wrote: “I really don’t know if that is *forgivable? Or of any use to the vegetarian cause?”

A spokesman said last night: “Morrissey has decided not to comment any further as he believes his statement speaks for itself.”

Update 10/18/2011:

Sistasheila posted the link to the video and actual words spoken during the concert:

"Despite the love, we do live on a murderous planet,
as you will have seen over the last few days in Norway.
Murder murder murder.
But really, every single day, worse things happen in KFC and McDonalds.
Murder, murder, murder, murder, murder..."

Link from inourbritches:
Morrissey: 'McDonald's, KFC worse than Norway massacre' - Digital Spy

Also, links posted by anonymous persons in the Warsaw post-show:
Meat biz worse than Norway: Morrissey - LFPress / Wenn.com
Morrissey lekceważąco o norweskiej tragedii - Interia.pl
Morrissey: – Massakren i Norge er ingenting mot massakren på Mc Donald's hver dag - tv2.no

80s Icon in Hot Water, a Facebook Status Leads To an Arrest, and a Whale Thanks its Rescuers in a Touching Way - Yahoo! News blog. Link from Desert Bee.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Article: Morrissey: Norway massacre is "nothing" compared to the actions of fast

..."Until he extends the circle of compassion to all living things, man will not himself find peace." ~Albert Schweitzer

"For as long as men massacre animals, they will kill each other. Indeed, he who sows the seed of murder and pain cannot reap joy and love." ~Pythagoras

Anyway, I think that what Morrissey was saying in his clumsy way is that both things are terrible, and if you believe that animals are our equals as he does, then they both are. That may not be your view, but there was a time during the slaving era, that black people were regarded as nothing more than property - sometimes thrown overboard from slave ships for insurance purposes. (http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/aia/part1/1h280.html) The prevailing view can change.

From my perspective as someone who is banned from his shows, I can't help but think that if he really feels that strongly about the killing of animals for food as equivalent to murder and wants to really make a statement, why doesn't he ban people that eat meat from his shows?

But that would be over half the audience, as a conservative estimate, maybe more, 70% or 80%? That would be a really bad move, economically. "Oh yeah, never mind... those people aren't so bad after all."

I am not a 'murderer' in that I don't eat meat but I am banned from the shows because he doesn't like the way the site is run. But he is happy allowing these other 'murderers' in and take their money. I suppose you could say 'hey look, by proposing this question and suggesting any sort of hypocrisy you are causing intentional distress' and I should be banned.

Now that we know there he is willing to exercise the option to ban people from his concerts, I feel this would be perhaps his strongest statement for animals, much more powerful than his current statement comparing the killings to a recent mass murder.

Last edited:
Re: Article: Morrissey: Norway massacre is "nothing" compared to the actions of fast

I wonder if, when John and Yoko said that woman is the n***** of the world, all black people threw as much of a shit fit as all meat eaters are throwing over this.

I thought you guys were supposed to be so red-blooded and tough? And one basic statement of belief throws you into such a mass hissy fit?

Please explain why there are so many of those that subscribe to a strict vegetarian and vegan diet that were also upset with the comments that he made. Maybe growing up and actually being a couple of miles from ground zero and being attached to the following days give me cause to remember what it was like to live through a terror attack. To equate that to the processing of food is shameful to me. I could watch a million chickens have their beaks burned and their necks twisted in front of me and served into tomorrow's offering. Does not phase me in the slightest. I have gone fishing, I have cut off their heads and slit their bellies to debone and filet. Of course they feel pain. But they are food that I will happily eat. It in no way compares to a terrorist attack.

Shame on you.

People that kill animals for pleasure - wrong (depends - mice, mosquitos, rats, flies - if they intrude... wipe them out, all of them)
People that kill animals for food - delicious.

For further reading... go through the archives.

P.S. I am glad that you have decided to be my new "friend." :D

Wow DAvid Tsong you're so stupid! well, nothing new... beware im watching you and the FBI too!!!

Why are you watching the FBI?

From my perspective as someone who is banned from his shows, I can't help but think that if he really feels that strongly about the killing of animals for food as equivalent to murder and wants to really make a statement, why doesn't he ban people that eat meat from his shows?

But that would be over half the audience, as a conservative estimate, maybe more, 70% or 80%? That would be a really bad move, economically. "Oh yeah, never mind... those people aren't so bad after all."

I am not a 'murderer' in that I don't eat meat but I am banned from the shows because he doesn't like the way the site is run. But he is happy allowing these other 'murderers' in and take their money. I suppose you could say 'hey look, by proposing this question and suggesting any sort of hypocrisy you are causing intentional distress' and I should be banned.

Now that we know there he is willing to exercise the option to ban people from his concerts, I feel this would be perhaps his strongest statement for animals, much more powerful than his current statement comparing the killings to a recent mass murder.

Ha - ^^^-This

At the end of the day he loves our money.
I wanted to write this before a certain someone (CG) writes... "He wants to change us to be better."

The second biggest political party in Norway is islamophobic, the murderer shared many of their views. This is a problem within the society that Norway has to deal with. This is the real problem. To turn hatred to Morrissey, vegetarianism and the rest of the world is wrong. Look yourself in the mirror please if you dare?! It is certainly needed.

Please explain why there are so many of those that subscribe to a strict vegetarian and vegan diet that were also upset with the comments that he made. Maybe growing up and actually being a couple of miles from ground zero and being attached to the following days give me cause to remember what it was like to live through a terror attack.

Yes, you're from New York. We know. You say so in every post.

To equate that to the processing of food is shameful to me. I could watch a million chickens have their beaks burned and their necks twisted in front of me and served into tomorrow's offering. Does not phase me in the slightest. I have gone fishing, I have cut off their heads and slit their bellies to debone and filet. Of course they feel pain. But they are food that I will happily eat. It in no way compares to a terrorist attack.

Your repeated declarations of lack of emotion regarding these crimes--assuming for the sake of argument that they are crimes--only tells me that your objections to other crimes is also based primarily on emotion.

Four-thousand children died of hunger in the last hour, supposedly. Are you mourning that, too? Would you like to do your "I'm eating a chicken sandwhich" bit in response to someone concerned about that?

Shame on you.

Shame on your being a mindless defender of the strong over the weak, in all your arguments about a variety of topics. Shame on your being a persona rather than a person--all for the sake of earning attention on a website.

People that kill animals for pleasure - wrong (depends - mice, mosquitos, rats, flies - if they intrude... wipe them out, all of them)
People that kill animals for food - delicious.

Killing for the pleasure of eating ("delicious") is distinct from killing for the pleasure of killing? Why?

For further reading... go through the archives.

If you've made actual arguments about these matters in the past, link to them. I assume you've just strutted and posed in the past, too, though. In fact, I recall reading a good bit of it.

P.S. I am glad that you have decided to be my new "friend." :D

Hard not to watch a train wreck.

That is not at all an egocentric way of viewing it.

Yes, you're from New York. We know. You say so in every post.

Your repeated declarations of lack of emotion regarding these crimes--assuming for the sake of argument that they are crimes--only tells me that your objections to other crimes is also based primarily on emotion.

Four-thousand children died of hunger in the last hour, supposedly. Are you mourning that, too? Would you like to do your "I'm eating a chicken sandwhich" bit in response to someone concerned about that?

Shame on your being a mindless defender of the strong over the weak, in all your arguments about a variety of topics. Shame on your being a persona rather than a person--all for the sake of earning attention on a website.

Killing for the pleasure of eating ("delicious") is distinct from killing for the pleasure of killing? Why?

If you've made actual arguments about these matters in the past, link to them. I assume you've just strutted and posed in the past, too, though. In fact, I recall reading a good bit of it.

Hard not to watch a train wreck.

Dave?

Here's a thought. Why not set up a website of your own where you can expound your views and those you agree with? It could be a winner.

and maybe Morrissey won't end up hating yer guts!

and maybe Morrissey won't end up hating yer guts!

I'm rather proud of being the kind of person that Morrissey hates. To be hated by somebody so lacking in personal integrity is quite an honour.

I'm rather proud of being the kind of person that Morrissey hates. To be hated by somebody so lacking in personal integrity is quite an honour.

Yes, but you're irrelevant.

Yes, but you're irrelevant.

Whereas the unsigned, 52-year-old pop star whose singles haven't got into the Top 20 for years is the very definition of "hip". Yes.

the wording of what he said was a bit different than those quoted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvPRbylipDM

Murder murder murder.

Murder murder murder.

Yes, people have already pointed out that Morrissey was misquoted. I'm not sure why they (or you) are bothering, though. If what he'd actually said had been less offensive then I'd understand, but it wasn't. The words he used were different, but the meaning was the same.

I really cannot believe that because people are so so defensive of anything that Morrissey says that they can justify this. We all know the treatment of animals is vile and abhorrent but simply because some Eastern religions value animal life in the same way as human it does not mean that many people really believe it. Having your mother, son, father, daughter, friends slaughtered is not the same as a battery hen having it's neck twisted. Nobody on this site would feel the same sadness and grief over the death of a boiled lobster than the death of somebody much-loved.

Morrissey f***ed up with what he said. It is as simple as that. He was probably trying to be controversial, tongue-in-cheek but he was wrong and is wrong. He is human. He made a mistake and it may well be that he cannot see that but then he is a multi-millionairre with all the riches he could dream of who still sings about how awful life is, so it is no wonder that he is a bit divorced from reality.

I used to be a fan of his, but today I threw all my records in the trash. Could not find a more suitable place for them after his statement.

you utter wank stain, if you cant under stand morrissey as a person and you cant understand his belifes then its you who belongs in the 'trash', hes been ridiculed for saying one thing like every vegetarian is, no one seems to see what we see so they take it upon them selvs to condem us for that, morrissey shared his belifes with his fans once again hoping they would understand and 'get him' by now, unfortunatly there are ignorants like you around who dont.

No word "NOTHING"!!!

Hope DT will be in court for slander.
This is THE END for this gruosome site.

Murder murder murder.

Oh dear.

Keep in mind that the man complaining here about "a murderous planet" is the same man who, only a matter of weeks ago, was praising the IRA - an organisation responsible for the murder of more than one thousand, seven hundred people.

I'm not sure whether I despise him more for his stupidity or his hypocrisy.

Yes, you're from New York. We know. You say so in every post. Your repeated declarations of lack of emotion regarding these crimes--assuming for the sake of argument that they are crimes--only tells me that your objections to other crimes is also based primarily on emotion. Four-thousand children died of hunger in the last hour, supposedly. Are you mourning that, too? Would you like to do your "I'm eating a chicken sandwhich" bit in response to someone concerned about that? Shame on your being a mindless defender of the strong over the weak, in all your arguments about a variety of topics. Shame on your being a persona rather than a person--all for the sake of earning attention on a website.
Killing for the pleasure of eating ("delicious") is distinct from killing for the pleasure of killing? Why? If you've made actual arguments about these matters in the past, link to them. I assume you've just strutted and posed in the past, too, though. In fact, I recall reading a good bit of it. Hard not to watch a train wreck.

Cry me a river there bright eyes. Your argument does not hold up to those that do not believe in the same things that you do. As I stated to someone else, it is like me trying to say that my views on other topical views are 100% correct and anyone who does not see eye to eye with me is flawed as a person. Sorry there but that is not how it works. Different belief system.

On to other matters, I am guessing either Grim, Hugh, Dave Jukebox Jury or one of the others that have been banned over the years, cry out to how much they hate the place, yet cannot stop coming here.

Cry me a river there bright eyes. Your argument does not hold up to those that do not believe in the same things that you do. As I stated to someone else, it is like me trying to say that my views on other topical views are 100% correct and anyone who does not see eye to eye with me is flawed as a person. Sorry there but that is not how it works. Different belief system.

On to other matters, I am guessing either Grim, Hugh, Dave Jukebox Jury or one of the others that have been banned over the years, cry out to how much they hate the place, yet cannot stop coming here.

You have already said that it is simply your own emotional reaction which determines your position. You refuse to discuss reasons. You do not care what people who disagree with you think, you've said, yet you're on a forum--obviously for attention-seeking and persona-mongering.

You weep for your fellow New Yawkers, but starving brown people and so on--"cry me a river."

You're a class act. By the way, I'm planning a blogging trip to Canada, but their state department has yet to answer my emails about the nationwide availability (or lack thereof???!!) of Facebook. Do you have any information on this you could PM me?

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom