Morrissey NOT invited to Nobel Artist celebration after KFC comments

From here - http://www.aftonbladet.se/nojesbladet/article17939795.ab

Google translation - Oslo's mayor, Conservative Party politician Fabian Stang, has invited all the artists who are attending the celebration of the Nobel Peace Prize to a conversation, rather - all except Morrissey. The reason that Morrissey gets ported can be found in a statement that the British pop icon felled during a concert shortly after the terrorist attacks on Utøya and in Oslo, reports NTB.

Morrissey is known as a militant vegan and in between snack, he compared the terrorist attacks with the production of fast food.

- We all live in a murderous world, as the events in Norway have shown. But that's nothing compared to what happens in McDonald's and Kentucky Fried Chicken every day, said the singer.

In an interview with the Norwegian newspaper Dagbladet explains Fabian Stang their unwillingness to invite Morrissey:

- The seriousness of comparing our nation's tragedy to flipping burgers makes it difficult for me to be accommodating, even though his job is to sing, not talk.

"His job is to sing, not talk." f***ing fascist!

I don't get this. What Morrissey said was vile.
That Norway will not welcome him is surely totally predictable.
The only thing that suprises me is that fans here will accept his stance and defend him.

In these times of people being afraid to say anything in case it negates their bank balance I'll defend anyone who sticks their neck out and says what they believe, even when I think they're saying something which I don't agree whether it's Morrissey's Norway gaffe or that wally Nigel Farage spouting whatever nonsense he is this week.

In these times of people being afraid to say anything in case it negates their bank balance I'll defend anyone who sticks their neck out and says what they believe, even when I think they're saying something which I don't agree whether it's Morrissey's Norway gaffe or that wally Nigel Farage spouting whatever nonsense he is this week.
What Morrissey said was not a gaffe or brave or groundbreaking. It was stupid and cruel. Charlie, you need to step back. Morrissey, is a fine artist and a great singer but his statement here was unforgivable.

What Morrissey said was not a gaffe or brave or groundbreaking. It was stupid and cruel. Charlie, you need to step back. Morrissey, is a fine artist and a great singer but his statement here was unforgivable.

Do you eat your friends, Peterb?

Call me old fashioned, but I think suggesting a person should be assassinated for a poor analogy is something of an overreaction.

Call me old fashioned, but I think suggesting a person should be assassinated for a poor analogy is something of an overreaction.
I thought we were discussing Moz.
Comparing Johnny's quip on an abscure website with Morrisseys onstage in front of thousands and subsequently to millions is not logical.

I thought we were discussing Moz.
Comparing Johnny's quip on an abscure website with Morrisseys onstage in front of thousands and subsequently to millions is not logical.

I think calling it a "quip" is being staggeringly generous. Something you don't extend to Morrissey, apparently.

There was a time when I thought barleycorn was the sanest of the 3 amigos, occasionally he would make a rational statement and seemed quite lucid, unfortunately those days are gone and his posts are hate-filled, aggressive and rude, is he having some kind of breakdown before our very eyes?. Reality bites always used to defend him when I criticised his posts, the silence from reality is now deafening , has she seen the light and seen barleycorn for what he is? Or is her laptop merely broken? I hope it's the former

Johnny is a very intelligent and educated person. I respect his ability to articulate his views so carefully and courageously. I still think he is the cat's pajamas. He doesn't need a cheerleader. He does just fine on his own. He is an independent thinker. Independent thinkers are always going to have haters. I understand this very well. Johnny challenges the groupthink around here. So his presence is a good thing for this place, whether you see it or not. He may in fact be helping you to articulate your thoughts and feelings more effectively. Without his opposing views, you'd simply not really be motivated to think too much about it. He is an annoying thorn in your side. But that very irritation, is an eustressor, compelling you to think, feel, and act.

If he left, it would soon become one big circle jerk around here. This place would be boring. And the traffic would dissipate.

People like to debate, whether they admit it or not. And people like to read heated discussions... even cat fighting, so it seems.

You need and love Johnny. You come here to read his comments. Just freaking admit it. :p

I think calling it a "quip" is being staggeringly generous. Something you don't extend to Morrissey, apparently.
What else is it Orson?

- - - Updated - - -

Johnny is a very intelligent and educated person. I respect his ability to articulate his views so carefully and courageously. I still think he is the cat's pajamas. He doesn't need a cheerleader. He does just fine on his own. He is an independent thinker. Independent thinkers are always going to have haters. I understand this very well. Johnny challenges the groupthink around here. So his presence is a good thing for this place, whether you see it or not. He may in fact be helping you to articulate your thoughts and feelings more effectively. Without his opposing views, you'd simply not really be motivated to think too much about it. He is an annoying thorn in your side. But that very irritation, is an eustressor, compelling you to think, feel, and act.

If he left, it would soon become one big circle jerk around here. This place would be boring. And the traffic would dissipate.

People like to debate, whether they admit it or not. And people like to read heated discussions... even cat fighting, so it seems.

You need and love Johnny. You come here to read his comments. Just freaking admit it. :p
And once more...... Go Girl!

What else is it Orson?

I think Barleyknacker's "Someone in Oslo should John Lennon the prick" comment is probably the crassest, most distasteful thing I've ever read on the internet! And that's saying something. It's far worse than anything Morrissey has ever said. And completely hypocritical. It must be like a peasouper in that guy's brain from all the cognitive dissonance.

I totally agree with you regarding the need for diverse opinion, I've previously said this site would be boring if we all sang from the same hymn sheet, that's why brummieboy is good for this site and as I said barleycorn used to contribute in the same way as brummie does, but recently barleycorn has lost the plot and his posts make him sound like a lunatic

I totally agree with you regarding the need for diverse opinion, I've previously said this site would be boring if we all sang from the same hymn sheet, that's why brummieboy is good for this site and as I said barleycorn used to contribute in the same way as brummie does, but recently barleycorn has lost the plot and his posts make him sound like a lunatic

Don't worry, he'll be back in fine form--the form you appreciate--in no time. The point is, and I think you will agree, the man can debate. He has the skills to pay the bills, so to speak. You may not like what he is saying. But he says it so eloquently. That is something to be admired, imo. It's an art form.

I think Barleyknacker's "Someone in Oslo should John Lennon the prick" comment is probably the crassest, most distasteful thing I've ever read on the internet!

Thanks Orson. That's a lovely thing to say. I really appreciate it. :thumb:

As lunatic as comparing dead children to chickens? I'm picking up the plaudits tonight. :D

You see, thing is, the idea that people are calling for me to be silenced while simultaneously supporting Morrissey's inalienable human right to free speech has a significant logical flaw at its centre. Your view that diverse opinion is good as long as you approve is similarly bizarre.

I know my dear friends realitybites and Peterb and a few others can see it, but apparently so blind are some of the followers of the one time singer/songwriter it seems to escape them.

Thanks, Charlie. Another supporter! :thumb:

Don't worry, he'll be back in fine form--the form you appreciate--in no time. The point is, and I think you will agree, the man can debate. He has the skills to pay the bills, so to speak. You may not like what he is saying. But he says it so eloquently. That is something to be admired, imo. It's an art form.

Yes I thought wishing Morrissey a slow, painful death whilst comparing him to Jimmy Savile was eloquence personified.

It still confuses me why people waste their lives away on an internet site about a pop star they despise and believe has let them down. I think the Lostprophets website would suit their needs more. Particularly when Savile comparisons abound

Yes I thought wishing Morrissey a slow, painful death whilst comparing him to Jimmy Savile was eloquence personified.

It still confuses me why people waste their lives away on an internet site about a pop star they despise and believe has let them down. I think the Lostprophets website would suit their needs more. Particularly when Savile comparisons abound

He doesn't waste his life here. An hour a day, at most. A lot of things Johnny says here are taken out of context by the lynch mob. For example, he asks what exactly is humasexual? Citing as an example, Gore Vidal claiming he was pansexual... and having an appetite for children as well. So unless Moz clearly defines the term, it cannot be ruled out to also include the attraction to children. Because, after all, children are humans. It is a no-brainer. But of course, the knee-jerk reacting mob wrongly comes to the illogical conclusion that Johnny was claiming Moz is a pedophile. I can give more examples. But you get my point.

Except... I didn't compare him to Jimmy Savile, did I? If I intended to do so I'm pretty sure I could have succeeded.

Instead I wrote...

"Let's have some clarification from Morrissey of his true meaning of "humasexual", so we know exactly what he means. Are any humans off limits? It might also explain why he and Brand are so close and why the latter likes to dress as the Child Catcher. Answers please, Morrissey.

After all, we don't want another Savile, now, do we?"

http://www.morrissey-solo.com/conte...-Morrissey-at-true-to-you-net?page=5#comments

If I wished to compare him to Savile I would almost certainly have said "I think he's like Jimmy Savile", but I don't think that so I didn't write it. Do you see how this works, this English language thing? There was no comparison, there was a statement of fact. Do you disagree with me? Do we want another Savile? I'm going to be controversial once more. No, we do not.

You are welcome to apply your interpretation, but I know what I intended to write, and indeed, did write. Your out and out misrepresentation and lying hardly strengthens your case, does it?

The fact remains that you stated 'someone in Oslo should John Lennon the prick'. No amount of wiggle-room is going to get you out of that one.
'Free speech', and arguing the toss about Morrissey's music/art/lyrics/political statements is fine - but once you start calling for someone to assassinate Morrissey you have gone so far over the line there's no way you can back-peddle and expect anyone to take you seriously. In fact, how on Earth can someone call for Morrissey to be assassinated and NOT be banned from this site?

The fact remains that you stated 'someone in Oslo should John Lennon the prick'. No amount of wiggle-room is going to get you out of that one.
'Free speech', and arguing the toss about Morrissey's music/art/lyrics/political statements is fine - but once you start calling for someone to assassinate Morrissey you have gone so far over the line there's no way you can back-peddle and expect anyone to take you seriously. In fact, how on Earth can someone call for Morrissey to be assassinated and NOT be banned from this site?

I'm not sure musing about someone being Lennoned, to coin a phrase, is as bad as, oh, off the top of my head... “We all live in a murderous world, as the events in Norway have shown. Though that is nothing compared to what happens in McDonald’s and Kentucky Fried Shit every day."

One is a flight of fancy, based on the sheer ironic amusement to be had if a man who uses the shooting deaths of others for political reasons is himself shot. The other is presented as a statement of pure fact in front of a thousand people, while the bodies still lay cold at the crime scene, while disregarding the feelings of freshly bereaved families, all to make a point for the extremist PETA organisation.

After all, if he was killed by some psychopath it would be as nothing compared to what happens in McDonald’s and Kentucky Fried Shit every day. Apparently. You see, this is what you lot don't get. By being offensive and unpleasant Morrissey opens himself up to similar treatment, and can have no complaints whatsoever.

Breivik used the deaths to promote his ideology, Morrissey used the deaths to promote his. Apart from pulling the trigger, where is the difference? Both saw seventy-seven dead kids and thought "Great, I can make some headlines here."

As for whether I should be banned or not I think you should write to Davidt and/or Kewpie. Of course, in a thread dedicated to the anger generated against a mayor who wishes to ban Morrissey from a wine and cheese party, that might be seen as lacking a certain degree of awareness, but hey, knock yourself out.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom