Morrissey on IRS's The Cutting Edge (on MTV)

alainsane

Charter Member (since 1998)
YouTuber, MrPhilrand, has posted two videos from the MTv show, The Cutting Edge. The videos seem to be labeled backwards, with part 1 being called part 2 and vice-versa. The description on the YouTube videos says 1986, but the video indicates the time is October, 1985. As the opening shot of the first part indicates, the premise of the video is "Morrissey agrees to sit alone with our camera and discuss single word topics presented in sealed envelopes."

Part 1 (labeled Part 2): here.
Part 2 (labeled Part 1) here.

The Cutting Edge was a program that (according to this Billboard article) premiered April 17, 1983, and was associated with indie record label, I.R.S. Records. I was searching for the referenced 3 O'Clock performance when I came across this Morrissey footage.

I believe the initial sharing of the video was via a member here circa 2006. It was removed a couple of times on YT, but the subsequent posts above have lasted 10 years - so YT can't be too bothered anymore :)
Via Mozmic_dancer, a tiny bit more info:
"I believe this interview is quite rare and I've been asking people about footage of this for awhile. This was aired in America on MTV's alternative show called The Cutting Edge hosted by Pete Zaremba, lead singer of the Fleshtones. Morrissey was asked to be interviewed by whoever and he said no, so the show suggested that they would set up a running camera from wherever he was at, left some envelopes on a table and basically just asked him to talk. There was no one else present in the room. It was such a bizarre suggestion, I guess he had to agree."

Regards,
FWD.

Wonderful find. This Morrissey is long gone and he's a lot less 'affected' now but I miss the thoughtfulness, how much he weighs every single word before he speaks. And God, even filmed on a potato in black and white, he was absolutely beautiful.

i wish people would stop with this "he's long gone" stuff. he's still here.
he was f***ing miserable back then, to wish for him to never grow out of that is cruel and offending.

i wish people would stop with this "he's long gone" stuff. he's still here.
he was f***ing miserable back then, to wish for him to never grow out of that is cruel and offending.
He has just changed a lot, that's all I meant - the way he speaks and presents himself, his attitude to the media and fame, his whole outlook. He is a lot more 'worldly' now but he often sounds bitter and he has burned a lot of bridges since 1985. If anything, his unhappiness is the only thing which seems constant.

He is cute as all get out, here.

He seems kinda high too :hearteyes:

I think he's just Morrissey.

1985, prime Smiths Moz.

Apologies, í slept on it, and, watching afresh, í now realise {through the Potato-scope} that Morrissey is, rather cannily, shooting with a mirror behind the camera {and subject}.

Thus, í have diagnosed that Morrissey is not, in fact, on drugs.

He is simply flirting with Morrissey.

The One True Faith.

:brows:

Moz 85.jpg

Apologies, í slept on it, and, watching afresh, í now realise {through the Potato-scope} that Morrissey is, rather cannily, shooting with a mirror behind the camera {and subject}.

Thus, í have diagnosed that Morrissey is not, in fact, on drugs.

He is simply flirting with Morrissey.

The One True Faith.

:brows:

"I don't dream about anyone
except myself..."

he almost looks pre smiths in this,very young.

Tags
1985 interviews irsrecords meatismurder mtv thecuttingedge
Back
Top Bottom