Morrissey recording new Janice Long BBC Radio2 session today ~ Broadcast next week.

Re: Morrissey recording new Janice Long BBC Radio2 session today ~ Broadcast next wee

Let's hope he decides not to perform TKAL and PATSE tonight in Perth, but work on them in private on a future rainy day. Perhaps he can brush them up on the ferry to Dunoon. The sea sickness might actually improve those lyrics.
Action... is quite good though. Not sure about the 'undertaker' bit though.

Undertakers are in charge of funeral rites. Morrissey's genes dictate that he is of Egyptian origin and he has a contract with God that in exchange for his Pygmalion dream to come true he has to be the vessel through which God passes souls through. In essense he has to be surrounded by ghosts, but some of the ghosts are his Pygmalion Dream. That;s why in Life is a PigSty, or 'Tis Pyg he asks her to stop the pain, stop time, because she or he floats in and out of his soul and literally causes him pain, but following her are a number of other souls, ; like a cosmic doorstop, holding the door open for souls to escape.

Anubis. He even has the signature sideburns but they're on his chest. And no he's not a flesh eating jackal, Morrissey often talks about death and dying, bt it;s a living death, a rebirth of souls kind of thing. I imagine he gets perticularly meloncholy and stuck in bed when a promnent soul passes, he has to be on call to see to it that it gets to the afterlife, a schedule he;s nt exactlin in charge of.. He;s like a singer by day and docent n the museum of afterlife by night. It's weird. Tht's jsut my drunken theory, but there's lots of signs tha point to that accounting for some of his malaise.

220px-Anubis_standing.svg.png

OMG PASS ME ANOTHER BEER IM ONA ROLL!!!!!! :D

Last edited:
Re: Morrissey recording new Janice Long BBC Radio2 session today ~ Broadcast next wee

If forced to choose, "Action" is my favorite but that's not saying much.

The way I see it.....if this was a new band shopping these as a demo, do you think any major labels would be looking to sign this act??

I theorize *hiccup* that Mozzidelicous is looking for someone special to share the burdon of passing souls with. Lets-stop-a-door-together-sweetcheeks kind of thing. :sweet:

I'm just saying. I don't know for sure. It;s more interesting thatn saying THAT SONG ISN'T WHAT I WAS EXPECTING BLAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

stfu. :straightface: Yeah, I know everyone is entitled to their opinion. FIne, fine. Bleh.

Just heard the three new songs. As with the previous airing of songs on the JL show, more than one may never make it anywhere near a studio.
I'd guess the decent Action... might become an album track (imagine it with a great producer's touch) and post-album release single, People are the Same Everywhere a possible album track or never go anywhere, The Kid's a Looker a thumping b-side (after it's reworked a bit).

None of them have the serious potential to become enduring songs like First of the Gang did when it was first played live but it's still really early days!

Listening to the end of Action... is it me or is Morrissey getting closer to something like "scat singing" (no toilet jokes, please) as the years go on?

If forced to choose, "Action" is my favorite but that's not saying much.

The way I see it.....if this was a new band shopping these as a demo, do you think any major labels would be looking to sign this act??

No decent label would touch it with a bargepole. Morrissey is existing on the strength of his reputation, which is fading by the day. I'm starting to wish he would hang up the mic, and I feel uncomfortable just saying that but it's true.

Undertakers are in charge of funeral rites. Morrissey's genes dictate that he is of Egyptian origin and he has a contract with God that in exchange for his Pygmalion dream to come true he has to be the vessel through which God passes souls through. In essense he has to be surrounded by ghosts, but some of the ghosts are his Pygmalion Dream. That;s why in Life is a PigSty, or 'Tis Pyg he asks her to stop the pain, stop time, because she or he floats in and out of his soul and literally causes him pain, but following her are a number of other souls, ; like a cosmic doorstop, holding the door open for souls to escape.

OMG PASS ME ANOTHER BEER IM ONA ROLL!!!!!! :D

I thought his origins were Irish...
To suggest that a pop singer is a 'vessel which God passes souls through' is blasphemous and ridiculous in the extreme. I really hope you don't mean it.

No decent label would touch it with a bargepole. Morrissey is existing on the strength of his reputation, which is fading by the day. I'm starting to wish he would hang up the mic, and I feel uncomfortable just saying that but it's true.

I think the problem is that Morrissey desires the biggest label he can get with, which really isnt a viable strategy in this day and age. There are plenty of fantastic labels like 4AD that I am sure he would fit well into the grove of and would probably be in his best interest to join. That being said I actually quite the tracks and feel that they would certainly make for a solid release, even the worst of them (PATSE) has a certain New York Dolls feel to it and might make an ok bside. Its just a shame that Moz and many on this forum look to the industry in such a dated fashion,

I thought his origins were Irish...
To suggest that a pop singer is a 'vessel which God passes souls through' is blasphemous and ridiculous in the extreme. I really hope you don't mean it.

Yeah I'm kidding.

Last edited:

Also I have to wonder though, considering the garbage being hoisted up by the major labels how is this really worse? I mean there are some kinks to work out, but with some polish(I feel these tracks might really benefit with a return of Tony Visconti) these tracks could each work nicely.

ikys.

Ok, despite swearing to stay away from new Internet sites, I stopped back to check on this new devlopment...

Dear Lord in Heaven, these lyrics stink.

Going under the assumption that Morrissey still gets the music first, then adapts lyrics he's had to fit the music, I suspect the horrible music has inspired these wretched lyrics.

I am so glad I am a "new fan" because I have managed to avoid this experience before. Ick.

Sorry, Morrissey, but these songs need some major tweaking.

And was it me, or did anyone else feel the music had a sameness to it? Where's the guesswork about who composed what?

Ah, that horrible, horrible guitar tone - if it weren't for Boz, this ship would run aground. People Are The Same Everywhere sounds like the gawky cousin of Children in Pieces with horrible Atari sound effects - presumably the handiwork of Tobias. The Kid is a Looker sounds unfinished. Action is My Middle Name shows the most promise - and the only one I would surmise is a Whyte co-write, if any. The piano intro built a false sense of hope before yet more teethgrinding sturm and drang. I'm disappointed to see such little growth since Years of Refusal. Here's hoping for a good producer and a better batch of tunes behind the curtain.

Sounds like Years Of Refusal, Part 2 to me ...

Sounds like Years Of Refusal, Part 2 to me ...

If only that were a good thing. I really wish he would quit trying to be a "rocker"...he can't sing properly over this overloud trash he's been putting out for the last 6 years.

I'm sure you were dreading the return of Jesse's noize, but it looks like it's here to stay. Along with some samples of Galaga, apparently.
Boz was coy about who'd be playing this live set but it seems it's exactly the same lineup.

Listening to Action... and imagining it with perhaps Stephen Street-style production instead of Refusal rawk I could see it being a solid album track (and agree it's probably a Whyte composition, albeit a lesser one).
Bit worried about the vocal melodies and lyrics, too, but I don't think the other two tracks will get very far.

Overall it feels like very little progression since Refusal.

Ah, that horrible, horrible guitar tone - if it weren't for Boz, this ship would run aground. People Are The Same Everywhere sounds like the gawky cousin of Children in Pieces with horrible Atari sound effects - presumably the handiwork of Tobias. The Kid is a Looker sounds unfinished. Action is My Middle Name shows the most promise - and the only one I would surmise is a Whyte co-write, if any. The piano intro built a false sense of hope before yet more teethgrinding sturm and drang. I'm disappointed to see such little growth since Years of Refusal. Here's hoping for a good producer and a better batch of tunes behind the curtain.

Colour me completely underwhelmed by these songs. Looker is one if the worst songs he has ever done.

It's terribly reactionary but if this is the quality of the new songs then he best not get a new label. Absolutely dreadful.

Only listened to them a couple of times, but "action is my middle name" kind of reminds me of "I can have both"

Back
Top Bottom