Morrissey signed to Harvest (Capitol); to record in France with producer Joe Chiccarelli

UPDATE 10:50 AM PT:

Link posted by Uncleskinny:

Morrissey has signed a two-album deal with Capitol Music in Los Angeles, and is set to record a new album in France starting on February 1st - true-to-you.net
15 January 2014

Morrissey has signed a two-album deal with Capitol Music in Los Angeles. He is set to record a new album in France starting on February 1st. Producer is Joe Chiccarelli, and musicians are Boz Boorer (guitar), Jesse Tobias (guitar), Gustavo Manzur (piano), Solomon Walker (bass guitar) and Matt Walker (drums). This will be Morrissey's first album since Years Of Refusal, which was recorded in 2008. Morrissey has been signed by Steve Barnett at Capitol Music.

Posted by mozzalini999 (original post):

Twitter alive with reports of a new deal. Check this out:

MORRISSEY SIGNS WORLDWIDE RECORDING AGREEMENT WITH HARVEST RECORDS - PR Newswire
Globally-Acclaimed And Highly Influential Recording & Performing Artist To Record First New Album In Five Years For Release Later In 2014

Excerpt:

HOLLYWOOD, Calif., Jan. 15, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Harvest Records has signed globally-renowned artist Morrissey to a worldwide recording agreement, it was announced today by the label's General Managers Piero Giramonti and Jacqueline Saturn. Morrissey's first album under the deal will be released in the second half of this year.

Morrissey stated that he is "thrilled" with the agreement, and will commence recording of his new album – the artist's first since 2009's Years Of Refusal – later this month in France with producer Joe Chiccarelli. Joining Morrissey in France will be his longtime recording and touring band, including Boz Boorer (guitar), Jesse Tobias (guitar), Solomon Walker (bass), Matthew Walker (drums) and Gustavo Manzur (keyboards). Tour dates for 2014 will be announced soon.

According to Capitol Music Group Chairman and CEO Steve Barnett, "Morrissey is clearly one of music's most important and influential artists. He is the rare soul who has stayed consistently true to his artistic vision and ethical principles since he first exploded onto the scene in the 1980s. We are so happy that he has chosen Capitol Music Group as his home and that his forthcoming album on Harvest will bring new Morrissey music to the world."

CMG Executive Vice President Michelle Jubelirer added, "Morrissey is a truly singular artist whose music and live performances first captured a worldwide audience thirty years ago and never let go. He is uncompromising in his integrity, extremely devoted to his fans and an artist with a unique and needed voice in our culture. It's so great that Morrissey is with CMG, and, more important, that he is about to record his first new album in five years."

Link and translation via Google Translate posted by Intl_Playboy / Twitter:

Morrissey, il prossimo album uscirà per la nuova Harvest - Rockol

Google Translate to English, excerpt:

January 15, 2014
Ended the relationship with Decca, Morrissey remains linked to the major label Universal Music under a new record deal signed with the Harvest (Capitol group). This was announced by the general manager of the label, Piero Giramonti and Jacqueline Saturn, anticipating that the artist Manchester will begin recording a new album this month in France along with the musicians who work with him for some time and the producer Joe Chiccarelli.

"Morrissey is one of the most important and influential artists in the music scene," said the number one Capitol Music Group Steve Barnett. "It 's also one of the few to have remained substantially true to his artistic vision and his ethical principles since he exploded onto the scene in the '80s." For its part, "Moz" had words of appreciation for the Harvest, the historic brand created in the 70s by which they recorded for EMI Pink Floyd and Deep Purple and that Universal has recently relaunched and mean to make it a sort of indie arm inside the majors.

Last edited by a moderator:
Now we've got the Alain thing sorted out - and he is not coming back - does this mean that they will be able to record
AND release ART HOUNDS AND ACTION MAN at the next recording ?

And what about :

Agreeable Civil Servant

Experiment

Glass Menagerie

In Control of Dame Dominance

One Of Our Own

Sisterama

Agreeable Civil Servant

Buddy Buried Deeply

I Don't Want Us To Finish

Belfast

Cage Of Marriage

Chainsaw

Experiment

Home Is A Question Mark

One Of Our Own

Sisterama

Buddy Buried Deeply

Snake Curves Silently

Glass Menagerie

I'm Not Worth Hitting

Take Us The Way We Are

Fast Car, Sharp Bend, Goodbye
- this is RUMOURED TO BE A GREAT SONG FOR EDDIE COCHRAN. could be wrong.

Hanratty

I Know Who I Love

Nightmare

The Leeches Go On Removing

Teresa, Teresa

When I Was Young

I'm Looking Forward To Going Back

Bully

http://www.morrissey-solo.com/wiki/Unreleased <<<<<only these ones are legit.

I believe his reservations were related to the mix, i.e., how Tobias's sludge-o-rama was dominant in the guitars. I can't imagine he hates Dear God, Please Help Me or Life is a Pigsty. Or the other material that he wrote that stopped the whole thing from being a botch.

It wasn't just the mix. He seriously disliked the end results of the whole thing.

Jesse Tobias's participation wasn't appreciated either.

Err, it doesn't really work like that. Morrissey is an icon and the world remains obsessed with him, even though the humour, intelligence and charm have all but disappeared these days.
First new album in 5 years is big news. All he needs is one or two catchy songs which are released as singles, and the album will actually sell even if it isn't much good.
Look at 'You are the Quarry'- an album full of mediocre gormlessness. OK music, but his worst ever lyrics. Two catchy singles and a load of media hype was all it took.
It's going to outsell Refusal just on the basis of the hype and the 5 year gap, 2 reasonably good singles and it'll do as well as ROTT. 2 or 3 genuinely brilliant singles (hugely unlikely) and it'll be his best ever seller.
Whether it's number one in the charts just depends on what else is out that week. It'll sell 40,000-70,000 which would take it to number 1 once every three weeks or so.
The world isn't obsessed by him. There are lots of people who don't even know who he is. He has done well in his area of work and good luck to him.
Lots of famous people are news worthy.
People on here get confused with how the world feels about him and how they feel about him.
Mozza has always been a game player, the difference is now that's all he seems to be.
He has already capitalized on his book hense a 2 LP contract.
I hope he puts his heart into the thing and makes something great.
His last two lps aren't bad, they just aren't special and lack depth
If he wants to really shut the doubters he needs a great LP

i can go along with this

art hounds and action could be very solid album tracks but the other two - meh hopefully b-side status

i'm sure moz will keep us guessing whatever happens

he said he doesn't feel any pressure when making an album etc however i'm sure he listened with interest to bowie's latest effort 'The Next Day' <<<<< if moz has still got anything about him he should already know the benchmark has been set...

good call on the label and producer for this album... so far so good :D :o

*waits for tour dates to drop on TTY*
Next Day is a shit LP, if mozZER is aiming that low we are in trouble

The world isn't obsessed by him. There are lots of people who don't even know who he is. He has done well in his area of work and good luck to him.
Lots of famous people are news worthy.
People on here get confused with how the world feels about him and how they feel about him.
Mozza has always been a game player, the difference is now that's all he seems to be.
He has already capitalized on his book hense a 2 LP contract.
I hope he puts his heart into the thing and makes something great.
His last two lps aren't bad, they just aren't special and lack depth
If he wants to really shut the doubters he needs a great LP

The world's media is obsessed with him. Any foolish/idiotic/bigoted/controversial comment he makes gets picked up around the world.
They could hardly care less about his modern songs though. That's why it's taken him five years to get a deal.

The world's media is obsessed with him. Any foolish/idiotic/bigoted/controversial comment he makes gets picked up around the world.
They could hardly care less about his modern songs though. That's why it's taken him five years to get a deal.
But the media also talk various from miley to GaGa , from Bowie ( now that is someone the world is obsessed by) to Dylan, from Kylie to Madonna
The news would works via feeds. So they take from there.
Because you are a Morrissey fan you just take more notice when it's about Morrissey he is an icon and can still get headlines but he has to go to greater lengths to do so.
Some could say in order to get in the news he had made himself look pretty pathetic.
All news isn't always good news

I agree with this completely; music is subjective and we will never come to the same conclusions about what are his best or worst compositions. In my opinion, every record has had moments of brilliance, admittedly some more than others. I just hope that Morrissey realizes the importance of this next release; this is an opportunity to solidify his legacy. He needs to scrutunize his own work as brutally and honestly as he would anyone else's work. One of the challenges that Morrissey faces is that he set the bar so high for himself right from the opening lines of the first Smiths record; the expectations for his work are substantially higher, and hence, the disappointment is greater when he delivers something that might be considered great for another artist but only lackluster for him. My fingers are crossed for a record that has the elements that make Morrissey music magical: the intricate story-telling, the clever word play, the vivid imagery, and an emotional impact that makes you feel like someone has just punched you in the throat. I would also love to see a return to the iconic album cover imagery. I still admire his work immensely, and I am hoping for the best.

lynnda

Well said. This post really resonated with me in terms of the way I'd like to see Morrissey approach his work. It's also endearingly positive which makes a change from some of the more negative postings. This has HOPE and some faith.

But the media also talk various from miley to GaGa , from Bowie ( now that is someone the world is obsessed by) to Dylan, from Kylie to Madonna
The news would works via feeds. So they take from there.
Because you are a Morrissey fan you just take more notice when it's about Morrissey he is an icon and can still get headlines but he has to go to greater lengths to do so.
Some could say in order to get in the news he had made himself look pretty pathetic.
All news isn't always good news

Nice explanation but wrong about my views. All those other people are very successful, commercially - massively more so than Morrissey. They sell out arenas around the world and shift millions of albums - Morrissey simply is nowhere near that league. In commercial terms, he's a lightweight. But in media terms, he's got a disproportionate amount of clout. The media is obsessed. Two of the quality UK newspapers (Guardian and Independent) made his autobiography their lead front page story for f***'s sake. That would never happen with Minogue or Gaga.
Morrissey can still get people very interested in his controversial (and, I'd argue, increasingly foolish) comments.
He just can't get them (or anywhere near as many people) interested in his music. And that's the big difference between him and other artists.

Whoa...oh...oh...When will there be a harvest.....For the Moz..:)

Lovely. Looking forward to this, I think. I'll buy the new album anyway.

"Free yourself, be yourself, come to the palms and see yourself
And at last your life begins, at last your life begins
At last your life begins, at last your life begins..........."

I wish I could have made it. I truly did. But that was 2006 or was it 1926.

This is probably the best news of 2014.

Strawberry.
France
x

As much as it was never going to happen, I absolutely wish that Moz would of signed with a independent label, such as 4AD for example. It would take it back to the 'outsider' spirit that he so repeatedly tries to place upon himself. Their roster, ethos and ideas would suit him perfectly, I personally believe. Signing with a major ("but what about the ££££"?, i know, I know...) will only dilute the whole thing into 'just another project' for them that shares the same playing field as Taylor Swift, Tinie Tempah, The Vamps et all. Utterly repulsive. Sigh.

Must be helpful to have access to a very large classical music library...

-Hey, listen to this Moz!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBDD7aLd6lc
Wouldn't that would make a cool intro for your new song about the sodding Royles?

-It's sort of famous, Boz.

-Is it? But you know it'd sound really different on a banjo, right? Okay about that? That would really suit you, words and all
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-W9BMgup7-A

-I'll think about it Boz. But you know I can't go that high anymore.

(... HOURS and HOURS of "inspiration"...)

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom