Morrissey Sings I Know It's Over

• Thread starter Deleted member 6305
  • Start date
I'm sure I could give you lots of fun :)

epic-grandpa-seth.gif

Its everything I hoped it would be

I can never understand why people go to a concert and then carry on a conversation as is happening in the background sound of this video.

Last edited by a moderator:
Saw him sing this in a funny wee toon last night and it was spellbinding. It even managed to transfix me depsite the constant stream of mouth-breathing beer-monsters dragging their knuckles back and forth to the bar.
It is the dark shining heart of the new setlist, and, for me, serves a similar purpose to songs such as 'Moonriver', 'Life Is A Pigsty', 'Seasick, Yet Still Docked' et al have done on previous tours. It lets Moz greet on stage. Amongst other things.
It's awesome that the vast majority were singing along, word-perfect, to a song that isn't really seen as a Smiths popular standard in the way that 'HSIN', 'Charming', 'Panic', etc are. I think it reflects the latent power of the song; watching people sing it last night you got the sense they were channeling back to those nights twirling in front of their stereo in the box bedroom; perhaps singing it out loud for the first time since those nights.
I didn't sing along myself as I just wanted to hear Morrissey's rendition, which was holy immaculate perfection. The 52 year old man captured something last night that the 26 year old boy couldn't even dream of, especially at the epic refrain. To hear 800 people, give or take, repeatedly sing, louder than The Kop, 'Oh Mother, I can feel / The soil falling over my head' is something that will stay with me for good.

I really really hope he plays this at at least one of the 3 gigs I'll be seeing him at in the next couple of weeks. Is there any news on setlists from Inverness or Dunoon?

I really really hope he plays this at at least one of the 3 gigs I'll be seeing him at in the next couple of weeks. Is there any news on setlists from Inverness or Dunoon?

He's played it at all three so it will stay in the setlist. Rest assured.

when the band play something with the incredible musical dynamic of I Know It's Over (and play it well, I hasten to add) I wonder if they think 'hmm, this is rather wonderful - why don't we try writing our own songs with this kind of pace/dynamic etc'.
this isn't a back handed criticism of the band/songwriters. they do write some great stuff but I just wish they'd change the tempo a little, and break out from the standard template of a rock/indie (or whatever you wanna call it) song, as IKIO does so beautifully.

Although it wasn't my favorite song being played that night, I Know It's Over was maybe the highlight of a great concert when played at the Inverness gig. Everyone seemed to sing along, lots of people went for the stage, et cetera. I never saw The Smiths, but I imagine that is about as close as I'll get.

I was at the front barrier in Dunoon. Couldn't sing or even mouth, but for the first time in years tears fell from this wizened old face..

Back
Top Bottom