Morrissey six track mixtape

SweetnTenderYorkshireman

BBC 6Music did a few “six track mixtapes” over the Christmas period, using decades and certain artists, Bowie etc.
What would your Morrissey six track tape be? Or a Smiths one?
Could be a collection of your favourites, or a more calculated bit of minimalist song curation, an entry level into the work.

The Smiths
1: The Queen is Dead
2: These Things Take Time
3: Please Please Please, Let Me Get What I Want
4: How Soon is Now?
5: Rubber Ring
6:There is A Light That Never Goes Out

Morrissey
1: Maladjusted
2: November Spawned A Monster
3: Break Up The Family
4: Life is a Pigsty
5: We’ll Let You Know
6: Speedway

LOL, as someone told me when I asked for their top 10...impossible. Top 20 was actually hard enough (Moz tracks).

Here's a list of his tracks...no idea how many there are >100+ maybe closer to 200 on a wikipedia list I found, but I haven't checked to see what's missing, or if it includes all B-sides. This first below link was dated 2014, so it's not complete.

http://www.rocklistmusic.co.uk/morrissey_solo.htm

This link below with almost 200 courtesy of wikipedia but doesn't include his latest 2 tracks from IANADOAC, nor It's Over/It Happens Every Time (I know, they were both covers).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_songs_recorded_by_Morrissey

Someone on here might have a full, comprehensive list of every track he's written/sang, or a link to it. I'm sure some kind geek (no offence intended) has a full list.

FWD maybe?

Last edited by a moderator:
Smiths (most accessible choices):

1. This Charming Man
2. How Soon Is Now?
3. There Is A Light That Never Goes Out
4. Stop Me If You Think You’ve Heard This One Before
5. Please, Please, Please Let Me Get What I Want
6. Ask

Smiths (personal favs)

1. I Want The One I Can’t Have
2. Girl Afraid
3. Handsome Devil
4. I Know It’s Over
5. Well I Wonder
6. Rubber Ring/Asleep (single version, one track mix)

Solo (most accessible choices):

1. Everyday Is Like Sunday
2. Tomorrow
3. The More You Ignore Me The Closer I Get
4. First of the Gang To Die
5. You Have Killed Me
6. Spent The Day In Bed

Solo (personal favs):

1. Southpaw
2. Mama Lay Softly On The Riverbed
3. I Don’t Mind If You Forget Me
4. My Dearest Love
5. Let Me Kiss You
6. Jack The Ripper

Here's a list of his tracks...no idea how many there are >100+ maybe closer to 200 on a wikipedia list I found, but I haven't checked to see what's missing, or if it includes all B-sides. This first below link was dated 2014, so it's not complete.

http://www.rocklistmusic.co.uk/morrissey_solo.htm

This link below with almost 200 courtesy of wikipedia but doesn't include his latest 2 tracks from IANADOAC, nor It's Over/It Happens Every Time (I know, they were both covers).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_songs_recorded_by_Morrissey

Someone on here might have a full, comprehensive list of every track he's written/sang, or a link to it. I'm sure some kind geek (no offence intended) has a full list.

FWD maybe?

https://www.morrissey-solo.com/wiki/Category:Morrissey_Lyrics

or a more calculated bit of minimalist song curation

part 2: morrissey - the intimacy of the outsider

after having presented the big 6 of our morrissey crowdpleasing favourites in part one of this series, we are now very thrilled to throw the spotlight on six recurrent themes in his songs that have contributed to morrissey's outstanding appeal and influence over the years on connaisseurs and ignoramuses alike.

1) in "he knows, i'd love to see him" ...

... we learn that being english in england especially sucks when facing the consequences for provoking political controversy in an arse-conservative country.

2) the appropriation of subculture elements...

... for someone's own identity formation even though this person is not a member of that club is reflected in the use of slang language and subsequent listener response to this song. and why shouldnt one appropriate. see also "bobby" for a more recent example.

3) the archeological theme of ...

... finding strength and affirmation in old, forgotten though often venomous personal resources is a salient theme throughout his ouevre.

4)
being caught up in limbo between the not so mundane past and a not yet materialized future, is the fate of every rejected, forgotten or lonely lover, a conflict between self-affirmation not yet achieved and desire already lost. and sometimes it will stay forever.

5) more recently, the 'soldiering years' of an international morrissey ...

... depict a world, and everyone in it, at war and in conflict. a world in which perpetrators become heros and those who should be heros do not protect but destroy joyfully. in this world ....

6)... bliss and love and solace are strictly private ...

... and always and extremely endangered, like in morrissey's most recent release 'love is on its way out'.

our team are currently working on part eight of this series, so if you have any ideas you would like to contribute to our most recent 'special', let us know.

Last edited by a moderator:
part 2: morrissey - the intimacy of the outsider

after having presented the big 6 of our morrissey crowdpleasing favourites in part one of this series, we are now very thrilled to throw the spotlight on six recurrent themes in his songs that have contributed to morrissey's outstanding appeal and influence over the years on connaisseurs and ignoramuses alike.

1) in "he knows, i'd love to see him" ...

... we learn that being english in england especially sucks when facing the consequences for provoking political controversy in an arse-conservative country.

2) the appropriation of subculture elements...

... for one's own identity formation even though one is not a member of that club is reflected in the use of slang language in this song.

3) the archeological theme of ...

... finding strength and affirmation in old, forgotten though often venomous personal resources is a salient theme throughout his ouevre.

4)
being caught up in limbo between the not so mundane past and a not yet materialized future, is the fate of every rejected, forgotten or lonely lover, a conflict between self-affirmation not yet achieved and desire already lost.

5) more recently, the 'soldiering years' of an international morrissey ...

... depict a world, and everyone in it, at war and in conflict. a world in which perpetrators become heros and those who should be heros do not protect but destroy joyfully. in this world ....

6)... bliss and love and solace are strictly private ...

... and always and extremely endangered, like in morrissey's most recent release 'love is on its way out'.

our team are currently working on part eight of this series, so if you have any ideas you would like to contribute to our most recent 'special', let us know.

Please don’t post anymore.

Thanks, a really good list, but I've noticed a few missing:

• The Bed Took Fire
  • It Happens Every Time - yes I know this was a cover, but so was Rose Garden, Cosmic Dancer & Drive In Saturday.
  • All 11 tracks from IANADOAC
  • Blue Dreamer's Eyes?
  • A Song From Under The Floorboards?
  • The list includes some, not all, tracks from the covers album CS, so not sure why some are included, & others not.

Any others not there, but should be?

Even when you ignore CS, I can't believe how big his body of work is when you look track by track. Immense.

My six would be:
  • The Kid's a Looker
  • People Are the Same Everywhere
  • Tony the Pony
  • Who Will Protect Us From the Police?
  • World Peace is None of Your Business
  • Interlude (instrumental)

• The Bed Took Fire
  • It Happens Every Time - yes I know this was a cover, but so was Rose Garden, Cosmic Dancer & Drive In Saturday.
  • Blue Dreamer's Eyes?
  • The list includes some, not all, tracks from the covers album CS, so not sure why some are included, & others not.

Even when you ignore CS, I can't believe how big his body of work is when you look track by track. Immense.

There are a handful of others missing. I’ll try and help you get it updated starting from tonight.

• The Bed Took Fire
  • Blue Dreamer's Eyes?

I checked and there's 41 missing (The Bed Took Fire is listed under At Amber). I'll try and get them put on from tomorrow and hope someone can add the lyrics to each of them. I don't think the list includes any instrumentals (maybe it does) which (obviously) don't have lyrics but some of these are mentioned under Unreleased Material on the Wiki.

I checked and there's 41 missing (The Bed Took Fire is listed under At Amber). I'll try and get them put on from tomorrow and hope someone can add the lyrics to each of them. I don't think the list includes any instrumentals (maybe it does) which (obviously) don't have lyrics but some of these are mentioned under Unreleased Material on the Wiki.

Make that 36 but some titles need updated.

Back
Top Bottom