Morrissey/Smiths songs you can't bear?

At any one time, I can think of dozens of Morrissey/Smiths songs that reflect my mood perfectly. Somehow though, they ease the pain, no matter how dark they are.

I have trouble with "We Hate It when Our Friends...", just because it is so "Cheesey" to me. Oh, and let's not forget "Found found found.."

The only Smiths song I would consider is Jean. Lyrically, I think it is solid, but as far as the composition...ick.

B

'I'd Love To' because it reminds me of someone and makes me sad.

For non personal reasons, I hate the music to mute witness.

Of course Asleep etc. but also, IMHO one of the most under-rated songs, All the Lazy Dykes. I'm not in an unhappy relationship and I'm not a lesbian, either, but that song still kills me every time I hear it...:(:o

"Back to old house" the hatful of hallow verson, it reminds me of someone i use to know very well but i don't really talk to anymore. It always make me cry- "Last night i dreamt somebody loved" me as well.

For some reason WILL NEVER MARRY really gets to me, also ASLEEP of course.

That Joke Isn't Funny Anymore - it twists my insides into knots and yet I seem to listen to it a lot.

I Know It's Over - Similar thing to "That Joke..", stronger affect.

Rubber Ring - slaughters me.

Please, Please Please Let Me Get What I Want - :( *sob* :(

Morrissey/Smiths I don't like for non-personal reasons.. ermm..

Accept Yourself
Death of a Disco Dancer
He Knows I'd Love To See Him
Yes, I Am Blind
Satan Rejected My Soul
Life is a Pigsty
On The Streets I Ran
The Operation
Used to be a Sweet Boy
Margaret On The Guillotine...

etc etc :o

Recent re-discovery: Isn't "Well I Wonder" fantastic?! :D

I think I've just wasted my 1,000th post

"You were one
You meant to be one
And you jumped into my face
And laughed and kissed me on the cheek
And then were gone
Forever"

This will ring so true as i lie on my deathbed and i get a little emotional when i do listen to it.....

"Top of the list
is your smiling kids
but we'll be smiling too"

I can't listen to this song, it gives me the heebie jeebies and it scares the living crap out of me. My over active imagination runs wild with me. There are so many bad things happening in the world and i really don't need reminding that i could lose my kids to some cretin.

slum mum 1974 said:
"Top of the list
is your smiling kids
but we'll be smiling too"

I can't listen to this song, it gives me the heebie jeebies and it scares the living crap out of me. My over active imagination runs wild with me. There are so many bad things happening in the world and i really don't need reminding that i could lose my kids to some cretin.

Hey Pam..its one of his worst ever songs too, which is why I can't listen to it!!!

As for those too personal and I can't listen to. Um none. Unless one is in a terribl maudlin mood relationship break-up/ death/ whatever and then you've got the usual suspects.

Last Night I Dreamt gets me when I'm like that. Tous les temps. The crescendo of the crowd noise and wallop....

Side 2 of Vauxhall and I and all but I wallow in self-pity and it is a glorious feeling. If that is not a paradox.

earlier today, I was coming home from work, listening to Rusholme Ruffians, and randomly...for some reason...for the first time ever, the line " i might walk home alone, but my faith in love is still devout" just really got to me. like, i choked up for a second, like I wanted to bust out into a bucket of tears. I didn't. but that particular song has never had that sort of effect on me. and for some reason, for that moment it did. just goes to show that no matter how many times you can hear a smiths/moz song, once in a while a familiar line will hit you just as though its the first time you heard it.

usually though, "Asleep", "Please Please Please...", "That Joke..." and "I Know it's Over" really give me a punch in the gut, as far as unbearable songs go....

On a non personal level it has to be 'miserable lie'. I cannot bear it, i love the beginning but then it changes into this awful racket, (i do like the lyrics however) just made myself listen to it now, but i still cant bear it. :mad:

on a personal level, I can 'bear' all moz/smith songs, some have a more profound effect than others however, such as 'will never marry' it always gives me serious goosebumps and often makes me cry. (darei say it, but it makes me feel as if Moz is dead and gone and its a snippet of the grief i would feel that it evokes in me)

I'm bumping this thread because of what Houdini's song of the day is. I Won't Share You is really the only Moz song you could say I "can't bear", in that sometimes I really actually do turn it off or avoid listening to it because it's just too heartbreaking. Some other songs come close, mostly Maudlin Street and Asleep, but I can always bear to hear them (even I Know It's Over I can listen to in a good mood and stay that way).

All The Lazy Dykes

King Leer....that "one knee" line always makes me cringe. Hey, even Moz has a bad day, I still love him.

Asleep.... just because, well you have to be in mood for that song is too powerful.

some friends of ours play that as the goodnight song for their 4 year old daughter :eek:

it works on so many levels i guess. they definitely recognize how twisted it is as a lullaby for a toddler, but shrug and say that she loves it, and it works

I'm sorry to say that i really dont like life is a pigsty...

Omh my gosh...tell me why? I think that it is the groovest song he has ever done. Not groovy like 70's groovy, but the bass line is groovy =) :)

Back
Top Bottom