Morrissey-solo move to XenForo complete

The move from vBulletin to XenForo as the main platform for Morrissey-solo is complete. While it may look similar, just about all site pages back to the last platform change in 2011 and all forum posts back to 1999 are affected, so this is a big undertaking.

While vBulletin was stable and working, it was not moving forward and was starting to break around the edges, this move is mainly to ensure the sustainability of the site for the future. As I was evaluating XenForo during this quiet time in the Morrissey world, I was impressed with the development team, design and the amount of support it has. I've worked to make sure things work 'pretty much the same' and major features of the previous site are supported. If you notice anything missing or have any issues/feedback regarding the changes, please post in this thread.

New features:
  • New / modernized interface
  • Responsive mobile/tablet support
  • Regularly updated platform and active third party plugin support
  • Twitter and Google login in addition to Facebook
  • Optional Premium subscription (Support the site + ability to disable ads)
  • New post like system - likes have been reset and are no longer anonymous. A post that gets a number of negative ratings will be hidden
  • Add thread (event) to calendar
Known issues:
  • Some settings were reset, please go through and verify preferences, privacy and signature formatting
  • IOS Emojis in posts not supported currently
  • Commas not supported in usernames. If you had a comma in your username it has been changed to a period. Let me know if you'd like to change it to something else
  • Still working on some site optimizations, tweaks to continue as issues are raised. Some hardware configurations have also changed and in the process of being updated in the next several weeks.

Last edited:
Loving the slick new look! Presumably the old vendetta will remain though...? ;)

Thanks for all the hard work David. The new site looks great.

raw

Thanks! I added a redirect for the old feed URL, did that fix it? Otherwise let me know what URL you are using for the feed.

Thanks for your hard work! One thing, the RSS feed says "Live bookmark feed failed to load."

Great job. Looks nice. Some of the data from my blog posts is missing and the view counter has been set to 0 on all entries. Loved having an idea which posts were most viewed... helped me understand the community's likes and interests. Any way to restore both of those?

Wow, thanks DavidT, your hard work is honestly appreciated. Forum looks so much cleaner now! So many new shiny features to discover :)

-A quick question if I may -- is there an activity stream or similar as there was previously, or am I just not looking thoroughly enough?

The blogs are an add-on and not being updated so it's lucky I was able to get most of the data as it is. The view count I missed but can take a look at adding back in. For the missing data, can you be more specific?

Great job. Looks nice. Some of the data from my blog posts is missing and the view counter has been set to 0 on all entries. Loved having an idea which posts were most viewed... helped me understand the community's likes and interests. Any way to restore both of those?

Thanks, glad you like the clean look. If you go to the "What's New?" tab at the top you'll get the latest posts and also as submenus Recent Activity and Trending Topics.

Wow, thanks DavidT, your hard work is honestly appreciated. Forum looks so much cleaner now! So many new shiny features to discover :)

-A quick question if I may -- is there an activity stream or similar as there was previously, or am I just not looking thoroughly enough?

I'm a regular user at the Steve Hoffman Music Forums, where XenForo has been used as the platform for quite some time, and really enjoy the interface, notification system, and other features. Nice to see it implemented here. Thanks for your hard work, David!

Concur on both fronts. This is a refreshing, er, refresh!

Sorry, those URLs have changed:

http://www.morrissey-solo.com/xfa-blog-entry/blog-index-i-2016-2006.1510/
http://www.morrissey-solo.com/xfa-blog-entry/blog-index-ii-2005-2004.1514/

I'll see if I can create redirects but if you want to fix them in your existing posts you can edit and update with the new URLs.

UPDATE: redirects working now.

My indexes are missing the data:
http://www.morrissey-solo.com/entries/1510-Blog-Index I ~ 2014-2006

http://www.morrissey-solo.com/entries/1514-Blog-Index-II-2005-2004

I haven't looked at but a few posts so far. There may be more issues.

Last edited:
I don't like changes. Look now what you've done. I am all disoriented.

Near the top of the screen above the search box hover over your username or click on it. There you can set all your preferences update your profile.

I can't figure out how to update my profile. Need to upload my signature pic again and some other stuff but don't see where you do that. Help.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom