Morrissey-solo upgraded to Xenforo 2.1

Welcome to the upgraded Morrissey-solo, we're now on the latest Xenforo software at version 2.1. Some things may appear the same but under the surface almost everything has changed. Take a look around and if you have any questions or find any bugs please post in this thread. I have incorporated some of the requests and suggestions that have been made on the site but after spending some time with it keep sending feedback.

Some of the new features include 'reactions' which replaces the old ratings system. New options with posts include native emoji support, improved media recognition and improved mobile support. If you want to hide anonymous posts by default that option is now an option in preferences. Emails from the site haven't been working for the last week or so for a different reason, that's being worked on.

This was a major research and development effort over the last year on my end and over the last 5+ years on the Xenforo / add-on developer end. This will set up ease of upgrading in the future and potentially a lot of new features.

Thanks to all who continue to support Morrissey-solo in a positive way. Special thanks goes to @Famous when dead for stepping up to help with the news and tour coverage. I was able to focus on getting this big upgrade done.

Last edited:
Minor thing I've noticed..on the old version you could just roll your mouse over alerts 'alarm bell' icon, & it would drop down & show what the alert was...now I have to click it to see what the alert is/was.

I am having trouble logging in. I forgot my password so I requested an email but I haven't received an email. Help!

Looking great, David, thank you! I am liking the new choice of ratings, and particularly pleased to note the removal of the much-abused 'Troll' rating. Good call :thumb:

I hereby declare the ‘thumbs down’ rating as the new ‘troll’ rating symbol.

fixed. :cool:

the troll-button was not always used in an inappropriate way.
No. But frequently by people who took the word 'Troll' to mean 'a post I don't like', without understanding the difference. Or just people engaged in petty emoji-warfare. No doubt now there will be a flood of 'dislike' ratings but at least it's more lexically correct.

I was able to log in on my laptop but not my tablet. I don`t know why. Anyway please disregard my previous post under the name member Tibby.

Thanks

Wow, people now 'react'...very dramatic, it's almost scary.

No. But frequently by people who took the word 'Troll' to mean 'a post I don't like', without understanding the difference. Or just people engaged in petty emoji-warfare. No doubt now there will be a flood of 'dislike' ratings but at least it's more lexically correct.
see your point, and yes, there were cases of inappropriate "troll slander", but how can we call a troll a troll from now on? the difference between "troll" and "dislike" is, that "dislike" still implies that a post is worth consideration which definitely does not apply to troll posts, and there are so many of them especially in this forum. this forum definetely has got a massive troll problem!
the troll rating was a well-intentioned warning to other users not to waste any time reading these posts. davidt. once advised me to use the troll rating more often.

i miss the "interesting" rating as well. we now have "love" instead. that's so bipolar.

@davidt first of all thanks for the upgrade and new features (y)

I was wondering if Anonymous could be labeled as Anonymous even if they give themselves a title in the ‘latest posts’ down on the homepage?

As example, instead of the title ‘Benny the British...’ it would state ‘Anonymous user’ and instead of a big B if they are not a registered user/member then it would be a big A for Anonymous.

Thanks in advance :)

Last edited:
see your point, and yes, there were cases of inappropriate "troll slander", but how can we call a troll a troll from now on? the difference between "troll" and "dislike" is, that "dislike" still implies that a post is worth consideration which definitely does not apply to troll posts, and there are so many of them especially in this forum. this forum definetely has got a massive troll problem!
the troll rating was a well-intentioned warning to other users not to waste any time reading these posts. davidt. once advised me to use the troll rating more often.

i miss the "interesting" rating as well. we now have "love" instead. that's so bipolar.
Since a true troll's sole purpose is to provoke a reaction, principally for attention, the solution is simple. There are quite a few serial trolls here, but also people who post strongly-worded, provocative things because it's their actual point of view, and they shouldn't be silenced just because people disagree with them. There are also people who post the same thing over and over, but I'm also not convinced this necessarily counts as trolling. Perhaps we need a 'Boring' emoji especially for them.
I took 'Love' as a 'stronger than Like' rating, which I rather like. Or possibly Love. But yes, Interesting was useful, and also Insightful.

Since a true troll's sole purpose is to provoke a reaction, principally for attention, the solution is simple. There are quite a few serial trolls here, but also people who post strongly-worded, provocative things because it's their actual point of view, and they shouldn't be silenced just because people disagree with them. There are also people who post the same thing over and over, but I'm also not convinced this necessarily counts as trolling. Perhaps we need a 'Boring' emoji especially for them.
I took 'Love' as a 'stronger than Like' rating, which I rather like. Or possibly Love. But yes, Interesting was useful, and also Insightful.

Guess you’re asking for the ‘redundant’ rating to be put back? In regards to your comment on adding a ‘boring’ emoji/rating.

Pretty incredible that this site has been an IT work-in-progress for David since the 90s -- when I first started frequenting (around the time Maladjusted came out/toured). Now, almost a quarter of a century later we have Viva Moz Vegas and a brand new Morrissey-Solo.

I always found 'Redundant' a little... redundant. Too non-specific for my liking.

I like the new "Wow" option. I can see using that for Aztec's posts. :p

I think there should be as many rating options as emojis! Not enough gradation here. Instead of just "like" or "dislike" a "disagree" option would be nice, or "really?". Some less anger inducing options to help soften the edges.

I like the new "Wow" option. I can see using that for Aztec's posts. :p

I think there should be as many rating options as emojis! Not enough gradation here. Instead of just "like" or "dislike" a "disagree" option would be nice, or "really?". Some less anger inducing options to help soften the edges.
I Like this idea a lot. Or possibly I Agree. Or Concur. Or Sympathise. Or Approve. Yes, a whole smorgasbord of options, that would be nice ?

Getting technical for a moment: David, I'm not getting automatic alerts for replies to posts unless I refresh the page. Any idea why this might be?

Getting technical for a moment: David, I'm not getting automatic alerts for replies to posts unless I refresh the page. Any idea why this might be?

Same here. Refresh or click Home tab...but they're not auto-arriving.

Disabling zoom in mobile view might be good.
Also scaling on the login screen doesn't work too well on the mobil view, textboxes don't have margins, and makes your text crawl.

If we are going to drill down here, I much prefer the fresh linen scent of the original site compared to the piney outdoor fragrance of the new and improved site. Why can't they leave some things alone? :unsure::mask:

Cleaner look and greater accessibility. A positive move forwards.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom